Calculator for Walking Backwards

Options
Does anyone know where to find a way to calculate calories burned from walking backwards? Other things I have found on here discuss the % of additional calories burned or the benefits, but I need a calculator so I can plug in speed, incline, duration, etc.

Any help would be great! :)

Replies

• MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    hmm, sorry I haven't a clue, bu that is interesting! I suppose you could use a heart rate monitor...
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Why do you think that walking backward will have a measurable difference from walking forward?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Just take the regular number and write it backwards. So 123 calories would become 321. 202 would stay the same.
  • Dellie22
    Dellie22 Posts: 167
    Options
    Why do you think that walking backward will have a measurable difference from walking forward?

This.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just take the regular number and write it backwards. So 123 calories would become 321. 202 would stay the same.

No, no, no... This is so wrong. Walking backwards adds negative calories. For example; if a 10 minute run burns 100 calories, a ten minute reverse run would burn -100 calories. Running sideways burns -0.5 calories, just so you know.
  • Dellie22
    Options
    No, no, no... This is so wrong. Walking backwards adds negative calories. For example; if a 10 minute run burns 100 calories, a ten minute reverse run would burn -100 calories. Running sideways burns -0.5 calories, just so you know.

er... huh ??
  • koosdel
    Options

er... huh ??

It's true. I read it online here- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/412077-calculator-for-walking-backwards
  • Dellie22
    Options

er... huh ??

It's true. I read it online here- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/412077-calculator-for-walking-backwards

Surely, because you're still moving, you should still be burning the calories... ?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    this thread is cracking me up. mfp does not have a shortage of entertaining people. that said, how fast are you walking backwards. I would think it burns the same as walking forward at whatever rate of speed you are going. The muscle groups being worked might be different though.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    This made me laugh aloud
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Very entertaining!
  • lmtrevin77
    lmtrevin77 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, this also make me laugh a lot. But I just laughed the regular way so I don't need any info for laughing backwards.
  • koosdel
    Options
    Yes, this also make me laugh a lot. But I just laughed the regular way so I don't need any info for laughing backwards.

That would be a hiccup.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ya'll have made my day. the same usual goofs :)
  • lmtrevin77
    lmtrevin77 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

That would be a hiccup.

oh, okay, then I do need to know how many calories I burned hiccuping three times in succession.
  • MissOmi
    Options
    This thread has really made me laugh. Thank you.

On a serious note though, I would think that it would burn the same number of calories. If you are unsure, maybe getting a pedometer or a heart rate monitor would be helpful. I am going to get one next week because I am not very good at tracking my calories burned.
  • may207
    may207 Posts: 1
    Options
    Funny crew here. Cracked up with this thread!

BUT, walking backward (or sideways) does actually burn more calories that walking forward, although not significantly. It will however work muscles that are rarely used and help define your booty and thighs. Try putting the treadmill at a 15 percent incline to get a killer workout. I typically do 45 min of weird walking... After a brief warmup, I'll do a 2 min run, 1 min sideways walk to left, 2 min jog, 1 min sideways to right, 2 min jog, 1 min backwards, 2 min jog. I repeat that 4 times and then end with a 2 min cool down. It's fun and goes by super fast because you're always changing the direction.
  • starlte
    starlte Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mom does this and she has a very nice booty for someone her age. So i started looking into it and after 35 minutes searching the web, this is a short answer. i did read to never go faster than 3 mph. But start at 2 mph to get your bearings and stay focused.

For some diversity with a twist, consider retro walking on a treadmill. Retro walking is a term used for walking backward. Unlike forward walking, which targets the hamstrings and glutes, retro walking works the calves and quadriceps. Researchers at the University of Oregon, including Barry Bates, B.S.E., Ph.D., report that retro walking burns more calories than walking forward at the same speed. Research reported by Bates also confirms that retro walking is a beneficial rehabilitation exercise for knee-joint injuries.

Read more: Treadmill Workout Ideas | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6944286_treadmill-workout-ideas.html#ixzz1kZmWA63L
  • bekarutt
    bekarutt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi starlte, I have also wanted to know the same thing about retro walking. I read through several articles then came
    Up with my own formula. If you had a pedometer it would make your counting calories much easier.
    I read an article on ehow.com titled " how do I convert a step counter to calories", where it explains than 1,000
    Steps burns 50 calories.
    I then read several articles that said walking 100 steps backwards equals 1,000 steps forwards. So for every 100 steps walking backwards add 50 calories burned (ex. 300 SB=150 cals.).

Livestrong.com also says it takes about 10 mintues to takes 1,000 steps(forward). I would say it takes some effort and twice as long to walk 1,000 steps backwards. Maybe anywhere from 300-400 steps backwards in 10 minutes.
    So you could also calculate that way( ex. 300 SB in 10 min.=150 cal.)
  • thatBword
    thatBword Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lol YES YOU BURN MORE CALORIES!!!!! Your using more muscles, trying hard to stay balanced. Try it at in incline. You burn almost double walking backwards. Duh!