Free Day?

Options
Since starting MFP three months ago I have never had a free day. I've gone over my calories before of course but never a carefree day. I am reading about people who do this (some of them once a week) and it helps them... Is it a good idea? I'm really trying to reach my weight goal by summer and I worry about taking the chance and gaining a few pounds... That would be extremely upsetting to me.

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Is what you're doing now working for you?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    if you gained 2 pounds from one free day that would be eating more than 7000 calories... would you do that?
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into the spike diet. Depending on your sex and weight, you zigzag calories. For example, I eat 1200 3 days, 1550 3 days, and then one day...3100!!!

I DID just start this a week ago, so i cant from my own experience say it works. ill find out later in the week.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think there's merit to taking a day off beyond the physiological components. Just saying "I'm taking 1 day every 10 days where I don't keep track of anything and I eat whatever" has quite a bit of value.

If you are the type that can do this without having a ridiculous binge, I think it has the POTENTIAL to be very, very helpful in the long term.

EDIT: I use 10 days above just for purposes of example. However, I do think it's a valuable practice.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Haha, yes. I've had a few days in row where I plateau but I've lost 36 pounds in 3 months.
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    if you gained 2 pounds from one free day that would be eating more than 7000 calories... would you do that?
    Haha I can't even imagine. I would never binge on this 'free day' I think I would still put everything in my diary it would just be allowing myself to go over my calorie goal. Not sure that I'm willing to do that though.
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    I think there's merit to taking a day off beyond the physiological components. Just saying "I'm taking 1 day every 10 days where I don't keep track of anything and I eat whatever" has quite a bit of value.

If you are the type that can do this without having a ridiculous binge, I think it has the POTENTIAL to be very, very helpful in the long term.

EDIT: I use 10 days above just for purposes of example. However, I do think it's a valuable practice.

I think that's a good idea, every week seemed a little too often. Maybe every two weeks or so.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I think that's a good idea, every week seemed a little too often. Maybe every two weeks or so.

If you think you can do it w/o going nuts on the calories, I would suggest not even tracking it. It can get to be a somewhat neurotic practice and in my opinion (I can't back this up with anything factual so feel free to ignore me in that regard) I think it is healthy to take a break from keeping track of this stuff.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I would just make sure that it's on a day where I know there will be REALLY good stuff. I'm not gonna have a "free day" for one of the many parties we have at the office, but I had one for Thanksgiving and will be having one for Christmas. When there's lots of good homemade stuff, not a bunch of storebought crap. It might help you avoid a plateau. It has for me.

Also, i find that even when I tell myself I can have a free/cheat/whatever day, I can't even eat that much because I'm so used to smaller portions. It's like my stomach has shrunk. Not sure if it physically does, but it feels like it!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I give myself 3 "whatever" meals a week and usually only use 2 of them, but it makes me feel better knowing that if I have a birthday, holiday, etc.. I can just go and enjoy the event and the company without thinking (too much) about what I'm eating. For me, this works. I seldom even go over my calories and it takes the edge off the occasional craving.
  • kristie_cla
    kristie_cla Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily take free days, but I do relax my diet on Saturday and Sunday. I still try to stay within my calories and track my foods, but if I want to splurge, I do. During the week, I stick pretty strictly to my plan. I've been doing this since the beginning of September and it's working for me - I'm down 35 pounds. I'm trying to find a lifestyle that I can live with, instead of doing this diet or that diet for a few month, etc. You have to try a few different things and find the one that works for you. :o)
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    The only way you're going to "gain" weight from one free day would be if you eat foods that are high in sodium. Sodium causes you to retain water, so you may see a higher number on the scale for a few days, but continue drinking water like you should and jump right back into your normal routine the next day, and within a few days that weight you "gained" will be gone again.
  • LeenaJean
    Options

If you think you can do it w/o going nuts on the calories, I would suggest not even tracking it. It can get to be a somewhat neurotic practice and in my opinion (I can't back this up with anything factual so feel free to ignore me in that regard) I think it is healthy to take a break from keeping track of this stuff.
    No, you make some very valid points. To be honest I think I have become very neurotic about counting everything, the idea of not tracking something makes me anxious. I think more than mental instability it's the excitement of being focused on the weight goal in sight.
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    I would just make sure that it's on a day where I know there will be REALLY good stuff. I'm not gonna have a "free day" for one of the many parties we have at the office, but I had one for Thanksgiving and will be having one for Christmas. When there's lots of good homemade stuff, not a bunch of storebought crap. It might help you avoid a plateau. It has for me.

Also, i find that even when I tell myself I can have a free/cheat/whatever day, I can't even eat that much because I'm so used to smaller portions. It's like my stomach has shrunk. Not sure if it physically does, but it feels like it!
    I definitely hear you there, I find myself worried about going out to eat and what that will mean (as in will I be full and still under my calories.) But in the end it's always been a smaller portion that I was very full off of. I don't think it wouldn't get out of hand if I allowed myself to do this because I am very determined right now.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally. I did today. I don't go crazy, but I'll let myself go over on my calories without worrying about it. Your maintenance calories are a lot less than what they have you eating usually. I just looked up my maintenance calories and stay under that whenever I go over my goal.
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    I do occasionally. I did today. I don't go crazy, but I'll let myself go over on my calories without worrying about it. Your maintenance calories are a lot less than what they have you eating usually. I just looked up my maintenance calories and stay under that whenever I go over my goal.
    That's very true. My sister gets on me about that because I really beat myself up when I have 1500 calorie days, she tells me that is way under what I was eating/what most people eat.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think the notion of a free day is entirely dependent on your personal nature. Some people can handle and even benefit from it. Personally, I have a very indulgent personality - if one is good, ten is awesome! - and so I don't take days off. For me taking a day off would be like a recovered alcoholic thinking he can just have one beer. We know where that's going. So, part of deciding if free days is okay is taking a hard look at your own nature and deciding what's right for you. For your sake, I hope free days work out awesomely!
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    I think the notion of a free day is entirely dependent on your personal nature. Some people can handle and even benefit from it. Personally, I have a very indulgent personality - if one is good, ten is awesome! - and so I don't take days off. For me taking a day off would be like a recovered alcoholic thinking he can just have one beer. We know where that's going. So, part of deciding if free days is okay is taking a hard look at your own nature and deciding what's right for you. For your sake, I hope free days work out awesomely!
    Wow, you know I never thought of this particular situation like an alcoholic... Thank you for that, I think I'm going to stick to what has worked so far. It is always an option for the future if I become stuck.
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Whats weird for me is I use to always give myself one day a week. Usually right after I weigh in typically. I dont think theres anything wrong with haveing one day. The thing is after awhile I dont feel like having cheat days anymore. Odd. Even tomorrow Im having a mother son day so I plan on taking him out for breakfast and lunch probably. But at the same time I plan on watching my portions and what I eat. There are times when I crave things. These I usually wait till after weigh in as well. But its good to get it out of your system without going crazy! Thats the important part. While eating healthy. Your body DOES NOT LIKE YUCK FOOD! trust me! Ive tried, and I just end up vomiting :( SO yeah youll notice a differance in your free eating habits over time as well.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Wow, you know I never thought of this particular situation like an alcoholic... Thank you for that, I think I'm going to stick to what has worked so far. It is always an option for the future if I become stuck.

I didn't mean to sound grim or say you're anything like that. Just the example I came up with.