Not Staying Motivated

Options
I really want to lose the last ten pounds. I will get on a plan. It will work great and something happens. Work, sickness, ect, always something and then it's so hard getting back on track. I don't want to keep this going on but it gets harder and harder to keep my goals....

Replies

• mnldreams
    Options
    I am feeling the same way! I wish there was some way to get over that, I get to a point where i still want to loose weight and feel like i have put so much hard work and effort into it, but then i just want to take a break and not do it any more or care! is there something you have found that helps you get re-motivated again?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    motivation will come and go. People that exercise regularly aren't always motivated, they just do it because they know they have to. I don't always want to run, but I know if I stop I'll get miserable and unhealthy again.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I had this feeling also and I just came to the conclusion that everything doesnt have to be done
    right then and there... I have been taking a slower pace at certain things that need to be done....
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I realize things always pop up, but for the most part they can be predicted, or handled.

I find if I suddenly have to go somewhere, or skip a workout, I already know what to do.

I bring the same foods to work, regardless of if i do mornings or nights.

If I have to go outta town, and can't workout before or after, I'll move that to my rest day, or do that workout along with another bodypart the following day.

Very few things actually come up that can't be handled, or worked around.

Have snacks on hand, or go-to foods for a quick or portable lunch/supper.

Being prepared makes it easy.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    The last ten pounds are always the hardest to lose and the easiest to regain
    Likely because the last ten pounds for many of us are the bare minimum, perhaps even below the weight our bodies are happy at. Not always. But enough to note. Not to say you shouldn't stay motivated though! Being fit is the best happiness!
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The only thing that's helped me on occasion is really trying to focus on maintaining this new mindset. Everyone says "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." And we probably hear it so often that it doesn't even register anymore. But if you think of it as "I just have to lose these last 10 pounds" or whatever then, to me, it's still a diet. I try and remind myself, this is how I'm living now.

From now on.

Sure, Healthier Me might still hit McDonald's once in a while or skip a workout day, but that's now the exception, not the rule. Not only do I want to hit my goal, but I want to stay there, so I won't really ever be "done". I know as soon as I tell myself "Okay. I'm there. Now I can stop" it'll be right back to fast food five days a week and grazing until the junk food's gone. And the pounds will come right back on. So, keep at it.

When I get off track, I tell myself that it's okay if a couple wheels slip off the track, but there's no need to let the train derail completely. When you think of food as the fuel your body needs and not a reward, a bandaid or a form of entertainment, it gets easier, I think. This is something I still struggle with and need to remind myself of regularly. Yes, when I exercise I need more fuel. When I'm bored/lonely/sad/happy .. not necessarily.

YMMV (your mileage may vary), but I've found this journey is almost as much mental as it is physical. Good luck!
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try a contest with ur friends! Put in a dollar a day and the person who gets there first wins the pot...great motivater!!!
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I agree with "this isn't a diet, it's a life style". Once you get over the diet word in your head - because we all KNOW that diets end - then you can get on with changing your life style to eliminate candy, cookies, and basic crap food.
    I am motivated by how great it feels when I achieve a goal. I set goals for myself. Working to meet that goal energizes me, and keeps me motivated. I'm so thrilled when I achieve it - it's the high that keeps me going.
    I'll give up soda for a month. I'll give up chocolate for a month. I'll take the stairs at work and not the elevator for a month.
    I like the small challenges, because they aren't so far out there that I can't see myself ever getting there. And - I can still remember how the previous goal ended (my victory), and the new goal is still in my sights.
    If you're bored easily - and need to change things up - then try a zumba class for 8-10 weeks. Then do a step class, or a yoga class. Vary your routine. Find a few close ppl who are motivated, too, and you can piggy back on each others energy and enthusiasm.
  • jjl2743
    Options
    After a pretty catastrophic auto accident--hit by a drunk--it was almost impossible to stay focused on keeping up my regular exercise. At the time I was lifting and doing cardio 90 minutes a day for 6 days a week. In excellent shape...
    After the accident, just when I would get back into some lesser routine something would go wrong: pain flair up; strains, disc problems, etc.... very demoralizing. Then a therapist told me to give myself a break and accept a new reality. It wasn't ideal , but if I accepted it instead of fighting it I would get gains--slower perahps but real. It worked ! So my advice is do what you can, reasonably, accept the set backs and start again...