Running and eating lots of fat..bad???

Options
I recently agreed to do a diet with my friend called the grapefruit diet. Basically u can eat tons of fattening foods as long as u don't eat carbs. No sweets, no breads, but pile on the bacon and cheese. Anyway it has worked...kind of. Ive lost 4 lbs and today is the 5th day. My question is this: is it bad for me to be eating all this high fatty foods and then running my tail off? I haven't felt any negative effects healthwise except for energy drop becuz of the no sugar. It's only a 12 day diet so I only have a week left, but I don't want to be a youngster that drops off her treadmill from a heart attack! Any advice, stories, news, is welcome!

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Eating fatty foods is bad in general... as a runner myself I can't imagine eating a lot of crap and getting good performance out of my body when I need to. Fad diets are really just not good for you in general, and when you're eating a bunch of crap that's what you're going to get out of your body is crap. Fad diets also puts you on a "yo yo" and any weight loss you get will come right back on when you change back to a normal diet. You'll feel a drop in energy and you won't be able to do as well or give as much to your running as well.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an Atkins inspired fad diet. Good luck keeping the weight off...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I recently agreed to do a diet with my friend called the grapefruit diet. Basically u can eat tons of fattening foods as long as u don't eat carbs. No sweets, no breads, but pile on the bacon and cheese. Anyway it has worked...kind of. Ive lost 4 lbs and today is the 5th day. My question is this: is it bad for me to be eating all this high fatty foods and then running my tail off? I haven't felt any negative effects healthwise except for energy drop becuz of the no sugar. It's only a 12 day diet so I only have a week left, but I don't want to be a youngster that drops off her treadmill from a heart attack! Any advice, stories, news, is welcome!

It is very likely that you lost water weight due to the decreased carb intake.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    OK...so it's a grapefruit diet that consists of no carbs? Where's the grapefruit? :huh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Eating fatty foods is bad in general.

Not necessarily. Fat is essential. Unsaturated (good) fats in particular help reduce cholesterol.

However, carbs and protein are also essential. You need all three in a balanced diet. It would be a better idea to not makes things too complicated and just follow MFP's guidelines. Hit your calories, try to balance your macros (carbs/protein/fat) and you will have success.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Eating fatty foods is bad in general.

Not necessarily. Fat is essential. Unsaturated (good) fats in particular help reduce cholesterol.

However, carbs and protein are also essential. You need all three in a balanced diet. It would be a better idea to not makes things too complicated and just follow MFP's guidelines. Hit your calories, try to balance your macros (carbs/protein/fat) and you will have success.

How's this:eating like crap is bad in general :laugh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

As long as we're sticking to generalities, I think we can agree on that. :happy:
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sorry I forgot to mention u eat half a grapefruit before each meal. I also forgot to say I am on this diet strictly becuase a friend twisted my arm....I'm done after the 12 days is up and I don't care if I lose any weight, I just hope I don't gain. I'm just wondering if a short term high intake of fat could result in health complications when combined with running.
  • lizluvs3
    lizluvs3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

As long as we're sticking to generalities, I think we can agree on that. :happy:

Sigh....I know....man I do feel absolutely disgusting on this diet too...can't be over soon enough. What we get ourselves into for our friends....:sick:
  • PetitePerfection
    PetitePerfection Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    well as for how it'll affect your running, you won't be able to perform as well and you'll probably get a stomach ache.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Sigh....I know....man I do feel absolutely disgusting on this diet too...can't be over soon enough. What we get ourselves into for our friends....:sick:

so don't do it? who cares what your friend talked you into?
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm with Marig0ld- how is this a grapefruit diet when you just eat fatty food???
    Ah... nevermind.