Needing Sugar Free!

Options
Hey guys!

I'm caught in the grip of sugar and need some ideas! I am NOT someone who can substitue fruit for my sweet tooth. I love fruit, but they are in different categories for me. So here's why this is tough for me....

ANYTHING with sugar alchohols turn me into a human whoopie cushion within 15 minutes. My fiance can't even be in the same room as me when I've eaten the stuff-I can't even stand myself! Splenda is not all that it's cracked up to be and I would prefer no Splenda. That pretty much leaves Aspartame as the ruling sugar substitue-which I am willing to eat very occasionally. Even LOW sugar would be better right now.

I'm dreaming the impossible dream! Any help is appreciated-It's Girl Scout Cookie Season for crying out loud!!!!

R

Replies

• rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

I'm caught in the grip of sugar and need some ideas! I am NOT someone who can substitue fruit for my sweet tooth. I love fruit, but they are in different categories for me. So here's why this is tough for me....

ANYTHING with sugar alchohols turn me into a human whoopie cushion within 15 minutes. My fiance can't even be in the same room as me when I've eaten the stuff-I can't even stand myself! Splenda is not all that it's cracked up to be and I would prefer no Splenda. That pretty much leaves Aspartame as the ruling sugar substitue-which I am willing to eat very occasionally. Even LOW sugar would be better right now.

I'm dreaming the impossible dream! Any help is appreciated-It's Girl Scout Cookie Season for crying out loud!!!!

R
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    I would suggest Stevia. Its way sweeter than sugar so you use very little of it in place of sugar. I use it to make Kool Aid. It does taste different though, so you have to adjust to the taste. 1/2 tsp of pure stevia extract=1 cup of sugar. Stevia has no calories, and doesn't effect your body the way sugar does

Also, even if you went to honey instead. It better for you. It doesn't give you that strung out sugar high. It takes longer for your body to metabalize so it better. But don't use too much because it does come loaded with calories.

I hope this is of any help at all:flowerforyou:
  • Tgeorge
    Tgeorge Posts: 49
    Options
    This probably goes the against the grain... but I suggest you actual use sugar and take the calorie count. Stevia is at least a natural product so if you just can't go with the idea of using sugar try that.

Your body is telling you something if you are having problems after using the substitiute. Additionally the non-natural sweetners may cause problems in the pancreas.

For the past month, I have only used all natural sugar in the raw. I drink a ton of herbal tea (hot and cold) instead of crystal light, I also have made real lemonade with lemons and sugar inthe raw. I do heat up the water to dissolve the sugar and then refrigerate. I have noticed that I don't have the 'sweet' craving that I used to have from 3-9pm and I don't have the other side effects that you mentioned below. At the same time, I have gone to as much as I can organic and all natural products and cooking my foods instead of purchasing any frozen/pre-made products.

Good Luck-
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    If you use honey make sure it is the raw-unheated kind from the health food store as the stuff in the super market is processed/heated which takes all the nutrients out and those bees are fed HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! Sad isn't it?
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have been using mostly honey. I make alot of green tea (raspberry flavored) with honey - leave it in the fridge and drink over ice. It's been a month now & I'm finally adjusting to my lack of sugar.

I keep dark chocolate on hand to get a quick fix if needed. Belgian chocolates have a higher content of protien & fiber than Dove or Brach's.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Stevia could work to me it actually taste a little like aspartame in its powder form. Also you could try agava nectar. Its flavor is similiar to honey I think but it does not affect the blood sugar. I personally would stay away from the aspartame and splenda. It will be difficult at first but you can break that need for sugar.

Make sure you are eating whole grains and no white flour.

Best of luck!!
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You might consider fair trade organic evaporated sugar cane juice. The cost of it will certainly moderate your desire for sugar.
  • remerp
    remerp Posts: 7
    Options
    not easy when you love sugar !
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i have this recipie book called cooking without, by barbara cousins. its basicly recepies without sugar, gluten, dairy, meat, ect...
    the recipies are not great but they sure are healthy. the ingrediants are sometimes hard to find but i substitute. what they do for sugar is use dates, raisin, apricots, banana or apple sauce.

here's a jamaican banana bread i have made, its not the best one but it sure helps the craving

3 bananas.
    1/2 cup water
    1 egg
    1/4 sunflower oil
    9 tbsp rice flour
    9 tbsp polenta flour
    6 tbsp potato flour (for the flours i normaly use the same amount but wholewheat flour)
    4tsp baking powder
    1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
    2/3 cup walnuts (you can cut those for calories sake)
    1/2 cup raisins

mash the bananas, add the liquids, then flour, then spices. then nuts and raisins.
    pour in grease and lined loaf pan. bake at 325 F for 45 min.

i have tried with adding dark chocolate chunks instead of the raisin and walnuts. i though it was good but my bf didnt agree.

i've never calcuted the calories, but it could be quite high.

good luck !
    may
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have had to go back to using regular sugar in my tea, the substitutes keep my stomach upset. I try to use as little as possible for taste and count the calories. I drink diet pepsi that has substitute in it and that is all.:smile: