Stalling

Options
I have been doing mfp for about 5 weeks, progress is painfully slow and now has stalled. I have about 20lb more to lose, have lost 7 so far. Any tips for restarting the progress or mentally dealing with the stalling! Thanks.

Replies

• 01ddm
    01ddm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and as a result not lost a great deal of weight. But one good tip someone gave me and I have put to use is making small changes. My first was was to join a gym and tomorrow I will start my next thing. This was a hard one as I have a tendency to closet eat and it's not good. So I made the decision today that it's got to stop and I'm going to make my diary available to view. This is going to be hard!

Why don't you pick something new to change and stick to it for a couple of weeks. It could be food related or not. Good luck :) D
  • spookyspook
    spookyspook Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks - just have to work out what to change now.
  • soccerchey1
    Options
    You could try adding a little more exercise (can be as small as parking a little further away from the store or running an extra mile), eating whole wheat instead of white bread/pasta, eat more fruits and veggies, cut out some added sugar, switching to a lower fat milk, try finding healthier versions of your favorite foods, adding leaner meat, or trying something new and healthy every week. Now obviously don't make all these changes at once but by just changing one thing every week or month (whatever fits you best) can add up to a completely different way of life. Good luck!
  • 226Muriel
    226Muriel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Really hard to say...Can't see your food/exercise diary....
  • lawson305
    Options
    I have been doing mfp for about 5 weeks, progress is painfully slow and now has stalled. I have about 20lb more to lose, have lost 7 so far. Any tips for restarting the progress or mentally dealing with the stalling! Thanks.

I'm unsure of what your caloric intake is per day. Here's something to think about...I've recently read information about not eating enough (starving) - which essentially will lead to weight gain or very slow progress. You'll find differing camps about whether or not to 'eat' any exercise calories earned, and I'm still unclear on this - at the very least everyone is different. Since I've been struggling with unrealistic calories (1,000-1,500 per day - I weigh 258) - I needed to adjust. I was of the impression "less is best," - but utltimately that led to less energy, motivation, and increased frustration - and "plateaus," as I think my body cherished everything I ate and held onto it. Our bodies do not care we are on diets and are designed to survive. But, at the very minimum I'm increasing my daily intake - in essence eating more in hopes that will help. Good luck!!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    So you've been doing this for 5 weeks, and lost 7lbs. That's an average if 1.4lbs a week. I don't see how that's stalling? Seems your losing weight healthy.

Read this for some tips.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/10-diet-disasters.aspx?xid=fb_EH_20111129_disaster
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Spooky,

I agree with what everyone else has been saying on this thread. 7 pounds in 5 weeks isn't bad at all, almost 1.5 lbs per week. I started with about the same amount to lose as you have. As much as WE hate our fat and want it to vanish, the less fat you have to loose, the hard it is, and, not to be the bearer of bad news, it will only get tougher as we get closer to goal. Look for “challenges” in the community. Knowing that there are a few or many that are holding you accountable to logging, exercise, whatever the challenge may be is so helpful. Yes, open your diary up… My "challenge" facilitator required us to open up our diary and yes, as embarrassing and hard as that is, it makes a huge difference knowing "big sister" is watching me. Along this line, be honest with YOURSELF. I tend to be a closet eater too... No matter what, how much or how bad, log your food. When you see it in black and white it does something to the mental aspect of eating. It hurts me so much to log something that I know was/is pure garbage, enough that I will think twice about having to log it again. Finally, “friend” people on here. You will be amazed how supportive everyone is here. It’s wonderful to know that people will hold, lead and discipline me when I need it. Add me if you like. Don’t take this journey alone, it’s too scary, lonely and rough a path to navigate by yourself.

Leslye
  • spookyspook
    spookyspook Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    THanks everyone for the replies. I lost the 7lb quickly and then nothing. I am exercising a lot, probably I went into starvation mode and am now adapting to the exercise calories. At the start it just seemed crazy to do the exercise and then eat those extra calories anyway. It's all an education I guess!