how to supress food appetite?

Options
Hi guys i wanted to know how it is possible to suppress food appetite? and basically have the discipline to resist unhealthy foods?

Your replies would be greatly appreciated:wink:

Replies

• cbaylis
    cbaylis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have these chocolate starlight mints that I keep just about every where. When I think I am hungry I try sucking on those or some other hard candy for a while. Seems to help me. However, I also am open to a better idea :-)
  • pgreedharry
    Options
    I find apple cider vinegar really curbs food cravings. You can either take it as a supplement, or (if you can stomach it) have a spoonful with your meals. Lemon juice does the same. It's the acidity.

I've been taking KLB6 for years, which has cider vinegar in it, and I always find that my cravings for snacks come back when I stop taking them (but maybe that's just me...)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    This is a bit bizarre, but I take 2 Sudafed every morning for congestion. It has a secondary gain - it suppresses my appetite. I can tell a huge difference when I don't need to take it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Healthy food supresses the appetite for unhealthy food. Try lean protein and plenty of salad and veg.
  • gazwheat
    gazwheat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sugar free chewing gum works for me. And a pint of water.
  • dvankuiken
    dvankuiken Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the sugar free gum and water idea. For me, I always feel better when I'm chewing on something rather than sucking on it. It gives me the false assumption that I'm eating something and always makes me feel better. Also, if you drink a 20 oz glass of water, statistically it should curb your appetite in about ten minutes.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually have an 8 oz glass of milk, don't know why but it works for me.
  • rufwil
    rufwil Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I drink water, plenty of water! I go through an average of 8 20oz bottles a day which seems to keep me on track. If I am at home and drink little water, I find myself snacking more often.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 square meals a day. In between if I get hungry, I eat an apple. Apples are cheap, good for you, and curb appetite. I also fill up my exercise bottle of water, and carry it with me the entire day (refilling as needed). Alot of times when I am "hungry", I am really thirsty.

It is "ok" if I am a little hungry before bedtime and before my meal. If I feel a pinch hungry, it means that I'm losing weight at a pound or two a week. Even if I go to bed a tiny bit hungry, I wake up and am not hungry. But, I force myself to eat a 300 calorie breakfast, a 400 calorie lunch, and a 500 calorie dinner - and go to the gym for 40 minutes on a treadmill.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Exercise...you won't eat whilst your workout and as blood is being redirected MOSTLY to major muscles involved in the activity, it naturally slows down your digestion a wee bit yet physically will help with digestion from the mechanical movement of your body in exercise! Sweating will make you thirsty or at least should make you think you should drink, so you fill up on water too... x
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    This is a bit bizarre, but I take 2 Sudafed every morning for congestion. It has a secondary gain - it suppresses my appetite. I can tell a huge difference when I don't need to take it.

Ridiculously UNSAFE idea... Never use medications for anything other than they were intended and at the correct dosage... STAY SAFE!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i drink hot tea, especially at work. it doesn't always help, but every once in a while it satisfies me enough so that i forget about eating till its time for my next meal.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Very high protien and high fiber will curb your appetite.
  • Crewchief516
    Options
    I would say drink water. I did an unofficial study at work with some of my co workers (Soldiers), and the conclusion was that if you drank more water through out the day that you would, one not feel as hungry, and two would lose more weight that if you had a small snack. That's just my thought on that. I hope it helps.
  • wren176
    wren176 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the others that suggest protein, veggies and water. I will also chew gum occasionally when I have the desire for something sweet. I do notice that if I keep my carbs low it great reduces those cravings.
  • obaker
    obaker Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Sudafed are similar to amphetamines, which make you lose your appetite. They are also addictive so maybe not a great idea to take them every morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Raw foods high in protien and fibers. You'll get all the nutrients and will be full and clean. :-D

Thanks for sharing!

SLB
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    lots of water!
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are craving something particular, it could mean that you have a nutritional need. For example, if you crave salt, it's usually a sign of adrenal fatigue. I know I saw a table at one point that said, if you want x then you are likely deficient in y, but I cannot find it now :( Knew I should have saved that thing! Try poking around and see if there's something missing from your diet. Otherwise, if you don't need the calories, get yourself as far away from the refrigerator as possible.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread. Normally, I drink water, but I'm also going to try the apple and hot tea.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!