For all you runners out there...

Options
I have been running for month or so now, wondering if it is bad to run 5 days in a row?
Will I wear myself out?
I run as well as do everything else at the gym but am on the treadmill for about half hour minimum. What does everyone think?

Replies

• O1981
    O1981 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi BeautyFromPain! You should really allow your muscles time to properly recover after a run. Have you considered other forms of cardio you could do inbetween your running days? Cycling, elliptical, and swimming, all burn pleanty of calories but are low impact exercises. Also, have you been keeping a journal? Has your running time and or distance improved in this month?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi BeautyFromPain! You should really allow your muscles time to properly recover after a run. Have you considered other forms of cardio you could do inbetween your running days? Cycling, elliptical, and swimming, all burn pleanty of calories but are low impact exercises. Also, have you been keeping a journal? Has your running time and or distance improved in this month?

I guess I should. I do cycling and the stepper at the gym as well as on the days I run. I also love my weights :] so guess I should break it up? Kinda like how you have to break up for muscle recovery days.
    When I started I just did 7km/h (sorry I'm in aus) and now I am doing intervals of like 5 minutes 7km/h and then 1 minute 10km/h ... trying to build it up.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm probably too new (to running) to make a definite statement but just as an example, my training plans that I've been doing (5K first and now half marathon) have me running every other day, with crosstraining (biking, swimming, light walking) in between. The 5K plan was M W F running... the Half is T, Th, Sun. I am at the gym nearly everyday (one rest day a week to do nothing) but I don't run everyday. I ride the stationary bike, or do yoga or something like that on my non-running days.

Now, this is for training fro\\or a race. I have specific sets of miles I have to run at certain times. If you are just running for cardio it may not matter if it's the same distance/time (30 min) everyday, but like the previous poster mentioned, some rest/recovery time might be good. And help prevent injuries/fatigue.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not possible to give a definate answer, but I'd err on the side of caution. If you're in a gym, there's plenty of low impact choices to alternate days with.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    you are looking close to a burn out.

you shouldnt run every day. you need time to recoup and let your muscles repair yourself. if not, you wont see any changes in your running (distance, speed). Are you running for weight loss? or training for a race?
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    I am a newbie runner now, but years ago I was really into it. At my peak I ran five miles a day six days a week. I have friends who ran faster and longer, so I was always a middle of the pack runner, which, I believe, stressed my knees less. I actually did quit with this schedule about five years ago and gained a lot of weight. I now try to mix it up quite a bit and cycle, use elliptical, and try to swim sometimes. I want to start lifting weights soon, but finding the time to do it is difficult.

I know you have a lofty goal to meet soon. Don't burn yourself out. Remember, this is a lifestyle change, not a crash diet approach. You don't want to be going up and down in your weight over the next several years.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's been almost a year for me, and I still won't run 5 days in a row. I'm ok with two. Maybe three. I've never had any running related problems, but I don't want any, either. :wink:
  • rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The best is to feel what your body tells you. If you don't overdo the workouts it is safe to run everyday. Not every run should be a "hard" run, but most should be at an easy pace. Mix them up with speedier workouts to build your speed.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    A lot depends on how your body is handeling it. You do need to take time off to rest. When I am seriously running I do run 5-6 days a week. During that time I do my light days for 30 minutes (at a talking pace), one faster day, and one long running day. With school right now I don't have time for that much running.

My husband is a distance runner (captain of cross country for our undergrad, and his high school and set all of their records) and he runs 5-6 days per week.

Just make sure most of your runs are easy runs. That's how you increase your blood volume and the amount of oxygen in your blood. Which of course makes you a better runner.
  • Crewchief516
    Options
    All of my running experience comes from me being in the military. I have been in units that run Monday through Friday and noticed that there were more injures from running everyday. Compared to just running M-W-F. But then again it is what your body can handle I would suggest to defiantly break up the running with other Types of cardio exercises.
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    A lot depends on how your body is handeling it. You do need to take time off to rest. When I am seriously running I do run 5-6 days a week. During that time I do my light days for 30 minutes (at a talking pace), one faster day, and one long running day. With school right now I don't have time for that much running.

My husband is a distance runner (captain of cross country for our undergrad, and his high school and set all of their records) and he runs 5-6 days per week.

Just make sure most of your runs are easy runs. That's how you increase your blood volume and the amount of oxygen in your blood. Which of course makes you a better runner.

Yes and make sure to stretch very well at the end of each run. Pay attention to your body. I can only run every second day because of IT band issues. On the other days I do other types of cardio and strength training to balance it out.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    When I started running last year with C25K I did only 3 days a week, and kept that regiment until a few months back when I started training for a half marathon, bumped it up to 4 days a week. 5 days a week seems a bit much and really doesn't allow much time for the muscles to recover. I've even had people tell me that running too many times in the week will burn you out on the activity.
    I'm with those suggesting the cross training; bikes, weights, etc and making sure you rest.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I have run for years. I usually don't run more than every other day. Occasionally if I do a very long run, I will do a shorter, easier light run to work out the soreness.

When I run too much/frequently the bottom of my feet hurt. I think if you are running too frequently you are much more likely to injure yourself from overuse of the same musscles and give up.

Usually I alternate running with biking or elliptical. Recently I completed a weight loss competiition at work (which I won by the way). The competition counted weight loss, water consumption, # of fruit/veg consumed and minutes of daily exercise. To get max points, I needed to do at least 60 minutes of exercise a day. I usually take 1 or 2 days off to let my body rest and heal. To maintain the 7 days a week exercise, I alternated 1 day run, 1 day bike or elliptical, and 1 day walking. The walking gave me enough of a rest to be able to maintain this level of exercise for over 3 months. The competition is over now and I am dropping back to 3-4 days a week.

Good luck and stay motivated.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I alternate with heavy weightlifting. I know that's not real popular in the hardcore running communities, but I'm not aiming to compete with running, just aiming to increase aerobic endurance and complete a half marathon.

It's also good to mix it up with other conditioning - biking, yoga, etc. - to avoid burnout.
  • rlwzgd
    rlwzgd Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When I started with C25K, the biggest caution was running every day. If you haven't run in the past (say you weren't on track or many sports), you tendons and ligaments are not use to the stress. Running every day risks injuries. Give yourself time to build up - lay a good foundation and you'll be good to go.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Especially early on you definitely want to be careful. Your body won't complain for a few weeks and then one day you could find yourself with shin splints which just take forever to recover from. Train consistently and you can work up to 5 days a week no problem but just do it slowly 8)
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Options
    I ran in the Marines and stopped running after my enlistment. I started back up about 16 months ago (after a decade of not exercising) at age 35 and 300 lbs. Mostly, I run so that a little dog does not feel the need to destroy my house when my wife and I leave for work. I run every day, but I listen to my body. Most days, I usually go about 2 miles. Some days, we only go 3/4 of a mile, or we walk, or a little of both. I have been doing a little over four miles on Fridays, and not running as long or as hard the rest of the week. I do not normally run on the weekends, but today, for instance I ran 7.2 miles because I spent an entire week away hunting with my wife and in-laws so I did not get in any running.

My advice is to take it slow, listen to your body, push yourself if you feel right about it. You can run every day if it's not the same exact routine. Stay hydrated, and get off the treadmill for at least one run per week.