why is breakfast so important?

Options
Ever since i was a kid if i ate breakfast i would end up sick, so i really don't have my first meal of the day until about 11-12 in the afternoon.. I've heard so many people talk about how breakfast is the key to losing weight.. So im really wondering is breakfast that important.? and could that really be the reason why im not losing weight?

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ever since i was a kid if i ate breakfast i would end up sick, so i really don't have my first meal of the day until about 11-12 in the afternoon.. I've heard so many people talk about how breakfast is the key to losing weight.. So im really wondering is breakfast that important.? and could that really be the reason why im not losing weight?
  • losinglynn
    Options
    It provides your body with fuel.

It maintains your blood sugar levels so that you don't end up feeling tired/lethargic.

I've read lots of articles that basically state that people who don't eat breakfast tend to over eat at other times throughout the day because they're so hungry.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember who wrote it ...it was one of our experienced knowledgable ones! So here goes the modified paraphrased version of what she wrote, Hers was better. She wrote about breakfast being the "breaking of the fast" and that when we eat breakfast we clue our bodies in to the idea that our sleeping dormant time is over and it is time to rev up our body functions including our metabolism. So the sooner you eat something and I think she said it needed to be over 200 ish calories the sooner you turn your body into a calorie eating machine.
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    Im not a huge fan of eating first thing in the morning either. Sometimes, just the thought makes me wanna gag, lol. But, if you DON'T eat breakfast, your body will hang onto fat. Its like it goes into protective mode, if you don't eat. Think of breakfast as fuel. It gives you energy to start your day. Usually, I'll eat anyway. Whether I want to or not. Just to give my body fuel. If you're not a big breakfast eater, you're not a big breakfast eater! Have something small like yogurt or a cereal bar. You don't want to starve your body, even if you don't feel hungry. :smile:
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i also hear that your maetabolisim slows when you are sleeping and the body is healing so until you eat anything the next day your metabolisim is running at slow speeds (lower weight loss) im not sure why but thats what i have heard.
    i think also it is good to do a bit of excersise before you breakfast as that kick starts the metabolisim and hunger. its not scientific just things i have read about.
    maybe you could try a little excersise when you get up and see if that gets you hungry.
    i always wake up starving so no trouble there lol. good luck
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Here's my experience with breakfast. I used to be much like you. I used to get up, have a coffee around 10 and then go forever without food.I hated breakfast and eating in the morning made me feel soooo yucky. I was also " that person" wouldn't eat all day and then consume probably a days worth of calories at dinner and would eat all night.

However, once I started working out, I saw a change immediately. After I worked out, I would wake up the next morning just ready to eat. Slowly, my body just started need fuel in the morning. Now, I have to eat constantly through out the day,small snacks in between my meals. I commute into work and now I'm at the point where I need a little snack even before i get into work at have my breakfast at 8 am!!! hahahaha...something small like, some apricots or cheese, just something or I feel famished and because I am eating throughout the day, I dont binge eat at night and I dont feel sick when I go to bed on a full stomach.. We basically have to reprogram out bodys to eat. Eating breakfast is super important!!!
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you get sick from eating breakfast then start out light....Have some protein...like a piece of hamor some toast...or maybe a small piece of fruit
    then you can get use to eating in the morning...
    This is what I had to do cause for years I never ate breakfast.....but I started out little and now in the morning I am ready for breakfast....
    :flowerforyou:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    i also hear that your maetabolisim slows when you are sleeping and the body is healing so until you eat anything the next day your metabolisim is running at slow speeds (lower weight loss) im not sure why but thats what i have heard.
    i think also it is good to do a bit of excersise before you breakfast as that kick starts the metabolisim and hunger. its not scientific just things i have read about.
    maybe you could try a little excersise when you get up and see if that gets you hungry.
    i always wake up starving so no trouble there lol. good luck

Chulie that's how it is for me!!! I drink so much coffee and don't eat until later!!! I can goes days without feeling hungry! ive been like that my whole life.. and raising three kids im always running around making sure they are fed but never sit down for me and enjoy anything to eat... Im up at 6am and don't eat anything until maybe 12 sometimes later... I'll try to start eating something in the mornings, and see if my body starts letting go of this nasty fat...