Hello! Asian kid here!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a 23 year old Asian girl who has been trying to lose weight around here. I'm 162 cm (5'4) since 12 and while my height hasn't been increasing, my weight does. It has increased from 46 to 65kg when I'm 23 but I've recently weighted and realised I'm 68kg!! Started being overweight since 21.
Has lost 7kg in a week before due to the stress of being enrolled in Turf club( A club which teachers forced overweight students to go to) hence I was always on the acceptable range until I've graduated. My target weight is 46 to 50kg which is the norm for girls my age in my country, Singapore. It's definitely stressful to buy clothes eventhough I am not really big since half the clothes shop in Singapore doesn't carry my size. I usually wear L to XL for tops(UK size 12) and M to L for bottoms (UK size 8 to 10) and most shops here carry size S or M which is UK size 0 to 6.

Has hit the gym 3 times per week burning off calories ranging from 800 to 1300 each time and trying to opt for healthier options for the 3rd week now. Any advice on what to do to lose weight fast and keep it off?
Thanks!

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Those are two hard challenges. I would say, don't lose your weight fast because you won't be able to keep it off. Aim at losing about half a kilo a week, no more. That way your metabolism has time to adjust. Otherwise you starve yourself, and gain it all back and more when you stop. And exercise, exercise, exercise. That burns the calories right off, and makes you feel just great.

When you reach your goal weight, that is when the real struggle starts: maintenance. You have to really balance calories and exercise so that you don't all gain it back. This is the toughest part of losing weight. But the good news is that this site has everything you need to swing it.
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. What I did in the past to lose 7kg in a week is to reduce my snacks and exercise alot. Never did starve but I guess I am able to lose weight because I snack ALOT. Can eat 1 super large packet of Potato Chips after a full dinner and still have icecream after that and I wasnt even overweight then. I eventually gain back after a year during my holidays. I guess since I am older now my metabolic rate is alot slower and thus the weight gain. 1/2 a kg sounds good! =)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I think 800 calories is way too low. if you don't eat enough your body will think that it's starving and it will be even harder for you to lose weight. Eating 1000-1300 calories is a good goal. Try not to work out too hard, so you don't injure yourself. I wish you luck!
  • bjrowles
    bjrowles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You must eat at least 1000 calories a day to lose weight healthy.
    Eat no white, ie: sugat, flour, potatoes, bread or anything containing any of these.
    No corn, they fatten pigs with corn, no bananas or at least limit them to 1 per week. All fruit contains a lot of sugar. Try to eat fresh vegies. Use only real butter and olive oil, pricey but you only use a small amount at a time.
    Allow your self a cheat day per week, but don't go crazy.
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    I would just utilize the tools here on MFP and continue your exercise routine.

For me, it was more a matter of just needing to really see what I was eating and adjusting it to my activity level.

As grassette said, it should be a gradual process.

My suggestion would be to continue to do what you're doing, but start tracking EVERYTHING. As you start seeing what foods you're eating (if you're like me), it becomes pretty clear what your cleaner/healthier options are.

Best of luck to you!
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    that's right as everyone stated. use the tools here and enjoy the process. It's takes time to change your physique.

Here's my transformation: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403233-lost-96lbs-and-made-top-10-in-physique-contest
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. What I did in the past to lose 7kg in a week is to reduce my snacks and exercise alot. Never did starve but I guess I am able to lose weight because I snack ALOT. Can eat 1 super large packet of Potato Chips after a full dinner and still have icecream after that and I wasnt even overweight then. I eventually gain back after a year during my holidays. I guess since I am older now my metabolic rate is alot slower and thus the weight gain. 1/2 a kg sounds good! =)

If you lose too much weight too quickly, you can give yourself severe heart problems. You can even die. So you need to treat your body with respect, and with love.

Potato chips are deadly. If you like the crunch, buy a popcorn popper and make your own popcorn. If you use corn oil, you will find that this is sufficient fat, and that you don't even need butter. The popcorn popper is in constant use in our house. So if you were to make one change to your diet, substituting freshly popped popcorn would be a major one.

As for ice cream, you can always switch to sherbet and control your portions. That way you get cold, you get flavour, and you get fewer calories. There are also low cal versions of ice cream made with skim milk that are quite tasty.

Do some calorie comparisons to motivate you in making the switch. And good luck!
  • Reiral
    Reiral Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Trying to switch to healthier alternatives now so much lesser potato chips-once a week as a meal or something(cant go without it) and more banana chips. I love ice cream but it's not a must have and most of the time I just stuff myself even when I don't felt like eating it half the time. I am not stress or anything-just like some sort of reflex. I will try to eat between 1200 to 1600. I think 1000 to 1300 is too low, I will just exercise slightly more then. =)

Yeah! I agree with the tracking of food tools. It's really useful! Trying to utilize it now! Although it's a rough gauge, it's better than knowing nothing.