Late night binges :o(

Options
I have been going to the gym for over a year now and I work my *kitten* off working out six days a week; but I've only lost 25 lbs.! Thats not a lot for a years worth of working out.:sad: I eat right all day, I make sure to eat something every 3-4 hours, but when 9:00 roles around I lose all will power! The next morning I regret it terribly and vow not to do it again; but still its a repeat every night. I don't know what I'm going to do! Lock up my refrigerator? Any suggestions?

12867208.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• dvankuiken
    dvankuiken Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey, I used to be the biggest culprit of late night binges. However, I always seemed to get heartburn the next morning because of it. What I've found helpful is to drink a whole lot of water and eat an apple. If that doesn't help, there's always the idea of not having any food to munch on in the house. My maid has been such a blessing, she only buys what is necessary for her to cook and then some fruits and veggies. That way if I do happen to get the munchies, at least I can eat something that's healthy. Good luck, I know that's hard and different things work for different people.
  • angbieb
    angbieb Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. My maid is awful, she fills the treat drawer with all kinds of goodies for the hubby and kids, what an idiot! Just kidding, I don't have a maid. :laugh: I wish!
  • wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    Well.. I'm not sure what your binges entail, so with that in mind, here's my suggestion.

I too have the occasional late night craving and if I don't have something healthy around, then I go straight for the junk food. Fortunately, it's just me, so I've learned to stock up on protein bars and never have ice cream, chips or cookies around.

The other thing is that if this is fairly consistent, why not just include it in your meal plan instead of fighting it and feeling crappy? There's no rule that says you can't eat after "x"-time.. or you can't have "y".

Sure.. you want to keep the calories clean and healthy ideally, but I prefer to think of things as small steps. First.. get your daily calories in line (if these late night binges put you over).. then work on better foods/snacks/etc..

So.. I'd first look at your meals/snacks during the day and just cut a bit off of each of those and move those calories into an extra meal/snack late at night to start with and then go from there.

Good luck!
  • kaiteggert
    kaiteggert Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I actually got this tip from a friend of mine: Buy some reduced fat peanut butter cracker packs (Lance makes them, you can usually buy generic brands at Target, Publix, etc.) and because they're so packed with protein, they/'re FANTASTIC for late night cravings!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am a late night eater so I save calories for it. I love low fat popcorn and eat it every night with some grapes. It hasn't hurt my weight loss.
  • Psychomasokism
    Psychomasokism Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too!! Every time I get home from work around 10 all my hard work and willpower seem to go out the window! I've resorted to making it a rule, to stay out of the kitchen after that time. It's worked pretty well most days for me. But they still happen sometimes, just less so. I figure that's better than nothing :/ but I feel your pain, good luck!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The most obvious answer would be not to eat so much during the day. If you know you like eating food late, then save your calories for that time of day. It is totally irrelevant when you eat, eating every 3-4 hours isn't helping or hurt your efforts. Try leaving a large chunk of your daily calories for the evening, then your "binge" will just be eating your remaining calories.

Like me, i know i prefer eating late at night, so i skip breakfast, have a small 2-300 cal lunch, an 800 cal dinner, and the rest is free for snacks before bed! :D
  • mkat17
    mkat17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Actually, when you eat does matter. Eating soon after waking up in the morning gives your metabolism a boost and allows it to work faster throughout the rest of the day. Since your metabolism adjusts to how many calories to eat..if you aren't eating breakfast or enough calories your metabolism adjusts to less calories (and therefore burns less). Eating every 3-4 hours also keeps your metabolism going. I also am a late night binger...still eat breakfast and your meals throughout the day but eat less calories for lunch and dinner or mid day snacking. Also, make sure your food is really nutrient dense.
  • olmstea
    Options
    No matter how I write this it sounds kind of condescending, but I promise I don't mean for it to be.... :flowerforyou:

Just go to bed. :laugh:

Seriously, when I am hungry and it's night time, I just pack it in for the day and go to sleep. Chances are I needed the extra hour or two and I always wake up feeling better.
  • mcurrie89
    mcurrie89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible late at night, cause I'm bored and tired. I try not to eat past seven, but sometimes I just have to. I do air popped popcorn, just tape up some plain popcorn in a brown paper bag and microwave. Very low on calories and fills me up. Or for sweet I do sugar free fat free jello. Its ten calories per serving, so you won't feel guilty having the extra scoop.. or two. And I also use PB2 peanut butter powder. Surprisingly it taste just like peanut butter but not as sweet. And is only 45 calories per serving compared to normal peanut butter which is an astounding 200 calories per serving! Hope this is helpful.
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. My maid is awful, she fills the treat drawer with all kinds of goodies for the hubby and kids, what an idiot! Just kidding, I don't have a maid. :laugh: I wish!

LOL!!!!
  • jodi_bannister
    jodi_bannister Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have a piece of peanut butter on toast or a low fat yogurt if I get the munchies later in the evening. But mainly I just try to drink some water or a glass of milk to see if I am actually hungry or just bored. If it is boredom, I find something else to do. I know for me, if I eat too much too late at night, it does hinder my weight loss. Your body isn't really burning the calories you consume if you go to bed after you eat them. :smile:
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Actually, when you eat does matter. Eating soon after waking up in the morning gives your metabolism a boost and allows it to work faster throughout the rest of the day. Since your metabolism adjusts to how many calories to eat..if you aren't eating breakfast or enough calories your metabolism adjusts to less calories (and therefore burns less). Eating every 3-4 hours also keeps your metabolism going. I also am a late night binger...still eat breakfast and your meals throughout the day but eat less calories for lunch and dinner or mid day snacking. Also, make sure your food is really nutrient dense.

Another myth that just refuses to die .
  • mkat17
    mkat17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not a myth. I've studied nutrition and dietetics for 6 years now. Do your research first.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I am a late night binger. When I get tired, I binge. So an above poster mentioned "just go to bed" I totally agree with this if you can! I also happen to be an insomniac so going to bed isn't always an option! If you're on a set eating schedule, try spacing it out a little better. If you're last meal is at 5p, could be that you just get hungry come 9p and coupled with being tired, your willpower just crashes. Also re-evaluate your caloric intake. Maybe you just aren't eating enough during the day? Could be your body's way of saying "feed me"!! lol. How about just eating at maintenance for a week and see if you binge? If you don't, or don't binge as bad, you have your answer :wink: Good luck!