A dry December - not looking forward to this!

Options
Hello

Hope everyone is getting on well with their diet and fitness goals, especially at this time of year.

I have been seeing a nutritionist to try and fix a long list of health problems (including severe food allergies, poor sleep, candida and the inability to lose weight even if i eat nothing but lettuce and run 10 miles a day). Long story short, she thinks most of my problems are due to poor liver function, and as such she has told me to cut out all alcohol for the foreseeable future, including the festive period. Not even a glass or two - we're talking nothing AT ALL until I complete the liver support programme she is proposing.

At the risk of sounding like a hardened alcoholic, the thought of this fills me with horror. It's not so much that i need the taste of alcohol, or even the effects, but more things like going into a bar and paying over the odds for a fruit juice when all my friends are having something nicer like wine or beer for almost the same price. Plus there are a number of social events I have planned over the festive season that will be really difficult without a drink, either because I will be bored (e.g. my sister-in-law's fancy cocktail party with all her upper-class friends that I have nothing in common with) or because questions will be asked about why I am not drinking.

I did think about sneaking a few glasses here and there, but the nutritionist reckons my liver is in such a bad way that even 1 glass will delay my recovery and therefore all my health problems will continue for longer. I can't stand the thought of this ... but then I can't stand the thought of the next few months without alcohol either!

Has anyone been through anything similar, and what advice would you give? Any suggestions of smart responses to the inevitable, "Come on, it's Christmas - one drink won't hurt!" would be much appreciated!

PF x

Replies

• wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've not been through the same - have liver function tests been run though to diagnose the issue with the liver?

I through choice don't drink and I mean some years non at all and others like this maybe 4 glasses over the whole year, a dry festive period for me is fine and I cope just well and as a bonus I can make sure my friends get home safe because I can drive them :-) that works for me.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    DId the nutrtionist do blood work? Only blood work can give you the information on liver function.

I am trying to cut out alcohol for personal reason. Lat night I was at a Christmas party, my first real "test"...open bar. I had a glass of seltzer on ice with lemon and lime slices. I put a little stirring straw in it and sipped it thru the straw. A few people questioned me on what I was drinking. I told them that I wasn't drinking because I had a long run to do in the am (which is true)...it was a satisffying answer and I was not pressured.

Think of not having alcohol like being in front of a huge dessert table...you will still feel the same "pull", still be pressured to just take a bite, try to justify just having a small taste, etc. It is up to you to decided if you will sneak a few pieces or just walk away.

If it is for serious health reasons, which it sounds like you have, the liver is nothing to fool around with... your life is more important than needing to liven up that boring cocktail party...

Good luck..it isn't easy, but it is for a good cause, YOU!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm on call for christmas week, starting on the friday, so no drinks for me either.

For me it's a good excuse to be healthy during the holiday.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Doh!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    If YOU don't make a big deal about not - drinking, then others won't either... you could always just say, you're on antibiotics, then again, you could just say I'm not drinking because i don't want to and its up to them to deal with it, if they give you crap for it, just ignore them. I do.(AND secretly think that I'm going to lose a bit of weight from not having empty calories, still can have a good time from not drinking and not have any hangover in the morning so I can perform better than them at work, around christmas etc) I did a dry christmas near enough last year and it was amazing, felt so healthy. Went out running, walks, building snowmen, cooked, had guests over... got a lot done!

Just be sure you're doing it for the right rerasons and don't hang on to every word your "nutritionist" says... they're are some out there who aren't realllly medically qualified... And without proper bloodwork and scans they cannot diagnose your liver as being dysfunctional. On top of that, if it it is as the nutrionist says, you should be seeing the doc anyway to get to the root of the reason why its not working properly and if there are any other consequences/conditions running hand in hand.

Val xx
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can always say you are not drinking for your health!!
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    I'm currently on an antibiotic for 3 months and my doctor said absolutely NO alcohol since the medicine is already so tough on the liver and alcohol could be very dangerous.

I freaked a little bit when they told me no alcohol. I love having my glass of wine here and there or a cocktail out with girlfriends. It's an enjoyable & relaxing part of my life.

I started taking the medicine 2 months ago and have quit alcohol. Honestly, it wasn't a hard switch. I feel so good & energetic. Drinking could lead to bad food decisions on my part or could lead to 2-3 glasses of empty calories.

I would suggest giving it a try. Your health should be number one and you may be surprised at how good & fresh you feel going alcohol free. However, I think you need to be prepared to commit. So, if you are not ready right now, perhaps you could wait until the holiday season is over?
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Oh hon i would die without a drink especially at this time BUT saying that if it's my health i would do it. If you tell people you've stopped drinking on doctors orders that usually stops them from asking anything else.I hope everything works out ok, wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If YOU don't make a big deal about not - drinking, then others won't either... you could always just say, you're on antibiotics, then again, you could just say I'm not drinking because i don't want to and its up to them to deal with it, if they give you crap for it, just ignore them. I do.(AND secretly think that I'm going to lose a bit of weight from not having empty calories, still can have a good time from not drinking and not have any hangover in the morning so I can perform better than them at work, around christmas etc) I did a dry christmas near enough last year and it was amazing, felt so healthy. Went out running, walks, building snowmen, cooked, had guests over... got a lot done!

Just be sure you're doing it for the right rerasons and don't hang on to every word your "nutritionist" says... they're are some out there who aren't realllly medically qualified... And without proper bloodwork and scans they cannot diagnose your liver as being dysfunctional. On top of that, if it it is as the nutrionist says, you should be seeing the doc anyway to get to the root of the reason why its not working properly and if there are any other consequences/conditions running hand in hand.

Val xx

This ^^
  • gigglemachine
    gigglemachine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about what people will think of you not drinking and all the questions that come with it you could ask for a non-alcoholic beer in a glass so no one will know..... or you could get a lime and soda or coke and say it has vodka in it etc.

Ooo there are some pretty nice non-alcoholic cocktails in the bars i go to for the same price or a little less than the alcoholic ones.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It's your life and your choice. Do you pay this nutritionist? You could easily find another who will tell you it's perfectly fine to pickle your liver over the holidays. We can all tell you the nutritionist knows nothing, but the truth is, (and you know it too) alcohol isn't a healthy choice. You are a grown up and if your health is on the line it is beyond me why you'd risk it to save face in front of people you have nothing in common with. Good grief, this is one Christmas season compared to your life.

BTW-- I went to a holiday party last night, when asked what I wanted to drink, (only water) I said it was because I am in training for my next marathon and I have a run this morning. Subject dropped.
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'd have to agree with the other posts on here - your health should come first and so it is a no-brainer. However, the only possible ways to check if the liver is not working is through blood tests and ultrasound scans - so if these haven't been done, the nutritionist could be plucking at straws.
    I too could well be on the way to a dry December...I've just had a spinal operation and have been 'dry' since May due to the medicaiton I am on. It hasn't been a problem so far, but I do feel the 'pull' of wanting a drink over the festive period, so I do understand your problem.
    The best of luck with your decision and remember, no-one else has a say on your health or lifestyle choices, so do what pleases you.
    :drinker: OR :happy:
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cant you just have a seltzer on the rocks with some fruit in it?
    It'll look like a vodka tonic, gin & tonic etc.

No one needs to know.

Then you get the added benefit of being the only sober one in a room full of boozed up folks.
    Could be fun.
    Bring a camera!
  • petitfilou
    Options
    Wow, I hadn't expected so many replies in such a short time - thank you so much! I had a dryish (but not completely dry) November and I must admit that many of my symptoms improved during that time, especially the allergic reactions to food which were really bad before. So I know it will do me good to ditch the booze, but it will be very hard as I have never done it over Christmas before.

It was very, very tempting to just start the programme in January when most of the world will be teetotal, but I didn't see what that would achieve apart from giving me another 5lbs to lose and another month of horrible symptoms! I have so much to do before Christmas and the thought of doing it all without a hangover is a nice thought - but the parties are very daunting. It also doesn't help that my husband is a massive drinker - obviously he doesn't put a gun to my head and force me to drink with him, but when he's glugging away every night it waves temptation right in front of my face! Oh, and he is one of those irritating people who drinks yet stays slim, and passes every medical examination with flying colours ...

What is a seltzer, by the way? In the UK it's an indigestion remedy - I guess you don't mean that?

PF x
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    As much as possible offer to be the designated driver. In other cases "no thanks, I'm driving" will suffice to get people off your back. If all else fails you can use the "oh I wish but I'm on antibiotics for an infected toenail" line.

I went dry once because I found myself drinking more than I would like and to tell the truth, when I realized that a lot of the people I was friends with were actually only tolerable when I was drunk, I whittled down my social circle rather dramatically. The friends I ended up with though are the very cream of the crop.

Good luck!
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    have you considered a nonalcoholic wine? I have an acquaintance who had a liver transplant about 5 years ago and for the 1st year afterwords she was really good about making sure she only drank nonalcoholic beverages. Unfortunately for her she is an alcoholic and it did not last. It makes me kind of angry because now she is abusing this new liver that someone had to die for her to get just like she abused her own. I like a drink as much as the next person (probably more, lol) but it is possible to abstain. We have been on such a tight budget for the last 2 years that we dont go to the liquor store at all. I used to have wine with dinner every night, but not anymore. Even when we go out, unless we are at my moms where I dont have to pay for a drink I just have a diet coke. It isnt a big deal and I think if you explain to your friends that you are doing it for health reasons they will leave you alone about it.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    as far as the reason goes - just tell them you're driving, taking medication blah blah blah

but your liver is FAR more important; gotta look at the big picture. I had a damaged liver. I say 'had' because dr assures my it's functioning normally now. But I've gotten used to not drinking- after a while, you won't miss it and those drunken friends you have so much fun with will look kind of sloppy & not so attractive.
    You've reached a fork in your life. You have to decide if you want to be HEALTHY and live a long life or if you want to be a short-lived party girl.
    can still have fun w/o booze. I am no less fun - I do have far less tolerance for boozy losers hitting on me- I seldom go to bars but I don't miss it, I have healthier activities in sunlight.
    In time, eating well & getting enough sleep, your liver will heal. Then you can have the occasional glass of wine with dinner- I always have champagne on New Years Eve. I just don't drink straight tequila shots anymore, don't drink myself blind, don't drink every weekend.
    You'll adapt & be a better person for it. We call it 'growing up'
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Hello

Hope everyone is getting on well with their diet and fitness goals, especially at this time of year.

I have been seeing a nutritionist to try and fix a long list of health problems (including severe food allergies, poor sleep, candida and the inability to lose weight even if i eat nothing but lettuce and run 10 miles a day). Long story short, she thinks most of my problems are due to poor liver function, and as such she has told me to cut out all alcohol for the foreseeable future, including the festive period. Not even a glass or two - we're talking nothing AT ALL until I complete the liver support programme she is proposing.

At the risk of sounding like a hardened alcoholic, the thought of this fills me with horror. It's not so much that i need the taste of alcohol, or even the effects, but more things like going into a bar and paying over the odds for a fruit juice when all my friends are having something nicer like wine or beer for almost the same price. Plus there are a number of social events I have planned over the festive season that will be really difficult without a drink, either because I will be bored (e.g. my sister-in-law's fancy cocktail party with all her upper-class friends that I have nothing in common with) or because questions will be asked about why I am not drinking.

I did think about sneaking a few glasses here and there, but the nutritionist reckons my liver is in such a bad way that even 1 glass will delay my recovery and therefore all my health problems will continue for longer. I can't stand the thought of this ... but then I can't stand the thought of the next few months without alcohol either!

Has anyone been through anything similar, and what advice would you give? Any suggestions of smart responses to the inevitable, "Come on, it's Christmas - one drink won't hurt!" would be much appreciated!

PF x
    It's your liver. A needed organ to live. Without it you die. I don't think it's a hard choice. I maybe drink a beer once a year and not even a full bottle at that. It's not that I can't, it's just because I don't feel the need to. Health comes first overall and that should be your first concern if you have control over it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I love to be the only sober one in a roomful of party goers - never used to but I have at least as much fun as them
    I have carbonated water or soda water with a slice of lime and ice people think its a vodka and tonic

if you do have liver problems milk thistle is known to support the liver and has been recommended by medical professionals I take it because of a heavy drugs regime

this link will give you some information but speak to your nutrtionist

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/milk-thistle-000266.htm
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start a group here for support with links to articles and suggestions for staying dry? There are probably a lot of drinkers here who are keeping it dry this holiday season for a lot of different reasons.