Big boned/Small boned

Options

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Your frame/bone size and height are the most important factors in determining your weight range.

this is the calculator that I used

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

this is the weight chart that I used to correspond with height and frame size.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    being a 5in wrist vs a 7in isn't going to change your weight or make your BMI higher, and THAT is the part that I hate. People say," Oh, I am big boned so I should weigh more" and that is BS. Find a weight that is in your considered healthy range (which is why it is so wide) and shoot for that. I say as long as you feel good, do what works for you.

And coming from a jewelers perspective, that really is a tiny wrist!
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This girl (crossfit athlete Lauren Pryor) is 5' 9" and weighs 160lbs
    Screenshot2011-12-01at60216PM.png

Damn! I am 2 inches taller and about 5 pounds lighter (and I am a large frame with 6.75" wrist measurement) but she looks a helluva lot thinner/toned than me!! :/
  • MzFury
    MzFury Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with what I'm seeing on here. Some people do use these things as an "excuse" but bodies are SO different, what's right for one is never going to be the same for others. I have a friend, for instance, with very narrow shoulders and bird-like arms (she's 5'5" or 5'6") but with broad hips (compared to her torso - she's always been slim and pretty fit - so the point is that you can see her actual bone structure in her lower body is NOT willowy, where her upper body is). I dunno - I think pooh-poohing this is silly. If you can figure out your fat percentage and it's in the healthy range - probably above 20% if you're not an athlete, and not below about 17%, you're not too skinny, even if people think you don't weight enough. Just feed yourself right, keep your muscles in shape, don't be hungry and ignore anyone with an opinion about your body who's not yourself or your doctor...
  • sandislim
    Options
    Bone size does matter - as well as general build, BMI is not accurate when it comes to different races. My bones are small, but also dense, according to my tanita I have a lot of muscle and tend to hold on to a lot of water too. I'm constantly told I'm not overweight (I'm around a size 14) and my BMI says I'm obese. I know I want to be a healthy BMI, but if I get to my desired size sooner (between 8-10) then I will stop regardless of what my BMI says.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    i believe there is a difference! my best friend has always weighed 140 and she wears a size 5/6 pants... when i was at my smallest, 150lbs, i wore a size 12/13 pants... i was only ten lbs heavier than her but pretty much 6 sizes bigger. funny how that works out! sucks to be me! lol =)

That's only 3 or 4 SIZES bigger not 6

5/6
    1 Size bigger) 7/8
    2 Sizes bigger) 9/10
    3 Sizes bigger) 11/12
    4 Sizes bigger) 13/14
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are definitely differences between bone structures, but I think 99% of these are accounted for in the weight ranges for different heights. At my height of 5'11" a healthy weight is anywhere from 130 to 179. That is a wide range. I think a lot of people tell themselves they are big boned so that range doesn't apply to them when really they should just be aiming for the top of the range.

I always though I was "big boned" and I am, but I've had my BF% tested (water immersion) and at 18% BF I would weight 154. Right now I'm at 167 and within healthy ranges.

I don't trust wrist guidelines cause my wrists have definitely gotten smaller since I lost weight.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I think bone structure makes a difference. I'm large-boned. I'm 5'6" and look slim at 144, but I don't think I'll have a perfectly flat tummy until I'm around 130. Years ago, I found out I look anorexic at 115. My stomach was sunken and my hip bones stuck out like pictures of starving people. I won't, purposely, go that low again. (I never did it on purpose.)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I am "big boned" at 170 I was wearing a size 8 in the past (currently down to 203 and a 14) That is why I don't believe the BMI is reasonable as it does not take into account the frame. I could probably wear a 6 around 150 yet I would still be overweight by those scales.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Frame size and shape deffinately matter! I was 145lbs in my early twenties and my doctor always said I was underweight. He felt 160-165 was a good minimum weight for my frame. At the time I was a healthy BMI, however, he said I should be at the higher end of the BMI scale due to where I carried weight and my frame. (I carry weight on my butt and thighs and that was long before it was fashionable! LOL). At 145lbs you could count my ribs and vertebrae! My goal weight is 175, and I'm 5'10".
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am "big boned" at 170 I was wearing a size 8 in the past (currently down to 203 and a 14) That is why I don't believe the BMI is reasonable as it does not take into account the frame. I could probably wear a 6 around 150 yet I would still be overweight by those scales.

I'm 150lbs and wearing a 6 (5' 5" for reference). (Although I do think my BMI says I'm okay? Don't know - don't check anymore!) And I don't mean that I tried on this one pair of 6s this one time from this one store and they sort of fit. I mean I have a couple of 4s, majority 6s, and some 8s as well. (Sizing is a disaster, but that's another story).

I don't know what I wear in juniors. I have one pair of juniors pants (for a halloween costume... I think they're Miley Cyrus pans hahahaha) and they are a 7. But I'm not sure that ONE pair of pants in junior sizes tells you what I wear in them
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think it's "big framed" vs. "small framed". I have big shoulders, big, wide hips, etc. My bones don't weigh more than any one else's. They don't have a bigger circumference but since my frame is bigger it holds more muscles and more fat.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think if you are concerend that you may be too low in weight, it would be best to discuss it with your doctor. To me, even with small bones, that seems like a pretty light weight, but certainly not aneorexic. But by discussing it with your dr. you can not only feel assured yourself that you are making the best decisions for your body, but also be able to assure your mother that by medical standards, you are within healthy limits.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I do think that frame size has a little to do with how much your healthy weight should be, but honestly, larger boned people would probably only weigh 10 or so more lbs than a smaller boned person. The amount of muscle and fat should still be similar. Bones do have weight, but they aren't puffy or chubby in any way.

I have a small frame, and I've been all the way from borderline underweight to obese at one point or another in my life.

The BMI charts typically have a range of weight, and I think this already takes into consideration for a variety of frame sizes. I would love to just be in the healthy range, not overweight or underweight.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I do think that frame and bone size count towards your weight, although not so much as to have a BMI of Very Overweight/Obese and be considered "normal" or healthy. (Provided you have normal amounts of muscle mass)

I read before that it's more used to determine where on the "healthy" BMI you lie. When I was at my heaviest I was a BMI of around 23 yet I felt horrible. Some people would look great at that. I think I have a small bone structure/frame. My wrists are tiny!

If you're small boned, you're ideal weight is normally determined as what would give you 18.5-21 (something like that) and for big boned 22-25 approx. Medium would be in the middle somewhere (20-23?)
    There is an online test for this somewhere based on your wrist size (which is where I got the info from)
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I say if you feel healthy and eat healthy then you're fine! That sounds about right to me anyway!
  • tmg1323
    tmg1323 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow! These photos blew me away! It's remarkable that the bodies of these 2 women look so similar, yet there is a 30 pound difference. One does not look slimmer or more fit than the other. Clearly there is more to consider than the number on the scale.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    The diameter of the bones will make a small difference, but the structure can make a big difference. Some may have the same circumference in wrist size,but one could have a longer ulna and humerous than the other. This would mean the one with longer bones would have more weight overall because of more mass. Intern, more muscle would cover that mass if the 2 had the same body fat and lean muscle percentage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    ive never seen a fat skeleton. ha. umm, i agree, there is a difference in FRAME not really in the bones. of course somone who is 6' 5" isnt gonna have the same as someone who is 4'11"