muscles protesting!

Options
WHAT is up with the Charlie Horses in the middle of the night???!!! Ouch!!!!

I figure I'm missing something nutritionally, or maybe I need a supplement....

Replies

• marcycbradford
    Options
    WHAT is up with the Charlie Horses in the middle of the night???!!! Ouch!!!!

I figure I'm missing something nutritionally, or maybe I need a supplement....
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Bananas, water, lots of proper stretching! That usually does it for me but I'm sure others will have some awesome suggestions...
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    I get those too, and what feels like knives in my shins. No fun.
  • bbogart
    bbogart Posts: 113
    Options
    Usually when I get cramps in the middle of the night it means that:
    1. I did too much
    2. not enough potassium
    3. not hydrated enough

Bananas are a great source of potassium, but if you are concerned about the calories, you can always get a potassium supplement.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options

Yours sounds like Shin Splints. Try icing your shins for 20 minutes at a time, and take ibuprofen. I miss shin splints!! HAHA :laugh: I knew I was working hard when I was forced to stand in a tub of ice water every day.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options

Yours sounds like Shin Splints. Try icing your shins for 20 minutes at a time, and take ibuprofen. I miss shin splints!! HAHA :laugh: I knew I was working hard when I was forced to stand in a tub of ice water every day.

I think the same thing! Also try something with a little less impact if you're running on pavement. They used to force me to run on the track in PE in high school and I went home crying every single day! They HURT!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any stretching?
  • marcycbradford
    Options
    Yup. Pilates is my workout of choice and I stretch before I walk/run on opposite days.
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options

I think the same thing! Also try something with a little less impact if you're running on pavement. They used to force me to run on the track in PE in high school and I went home crying every single day! They HURT!

Hahaha and here I thought it was just cause I was working so hard! Will try the ice and ib. Thanks for the tips!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Yup. Pilates is my workout of choice and I stretch before I walk/run on opposite days.

It sounds like you might want to focus a bit more on your lower-leg stretches, especially the ones that target your shins.