wii fit / wii fit plus

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
ok i am out of the loop now a days with all these machines.. can someone explain to me what wii fit is and does? i do understand it's a exercise game... do i need to buy this accessories separate or doe sit all come with the wii in a package? I am exercising cardio 5 days a week and would like a change up a few days a week. I hear so many on here talk about this system i would like to know more about it. what will it cost me to have everything i need for it?

Replies

• Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit comes with a balance board (what you stand on to play the games) and a game disc. Wii Fit Plus is the same thing, but there are more games on the disc..

It doesn't come with Wii. You have to buy the Wii game console separately.

I've had it for two years now and absolutely love it. It's not a great workout, but it's definitely fun, and you do burn some calories while playing the games.

For fun and a light workout? I recommend it highly. For an actual WORKOUT workout? Not so much.
  • lin7604
    Options
    so do you have other suggestions to keep me interested in exercising? I am not a big exerciser and love doing cardio ( treadmill and elliptical) but beyond that i don't like it. I don't like strength training at all, i feel like I'm always doing it wrong or something... I only workout at home too otherwise i never would get any exercise in and live out of town to join a gym.... what else can i do that will still be a "workout"....
  • Goldenwoof
    Options
    so do you have other suggestions to keep me interested in exercising? I am not a big exerciser and love doing cardio ( treadmill and elliptical) but beyond that i don't like it. I don't like strength training at all, i feel like I'm always doing it wrong or something... I only workout at home too otherwise i never would get any exercise in and live out of town to join a gym.... what else can i do that will still be a "workout"....

That's for you to decide. You've gotta just keep trying things until you find what you like and then make it happen. If you feel like you're "always doing it wrong," ask for help. Have someone show you the right way to do things. Maybe you'll like it when you learn the right way to do things.

There are no shortcuts in this. If you wanna lose weight or get healthier, you've gotta do the work.
  • lin7604
    Options
    but you don't think the wii fit will or can replace a 45 min session of cardio, correct? i just needed to change things up a bit so my body doesn't get stuck in a rut.... thought this might be a good solution... but if it's not then i won't waste the money on getting one and maybe just buy a few dvd's....
  • KaeChelle
    Options
    For someone just starting out with exercise, the Wii Fit Plus can be good. But if you're used to intense exercise, this will not do much for you as far as getting a good burn. It is fun. I've had mine for a couple of months. Some of the games on there do not burn many calories, but some do if you do it enough. I like the step aerobics and rhythm boxing. I also made my own routine of yoga and strength training. What I like about it is it tracks how many calories you burn and your weight loss progress.
  • lin7604
    Options
    well i'm not a avid exerciser, i just started out exercising on Oct 22 but started with 30 min, now up to 45 min of cardio. I just didn't know if i needed to switch things up yet or not or if i'm good for awhile before my body gets used to it...
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Wii Fit comes with a balance board (what you stand on to play the games) and a game disc. Wii Fit Plus is the same thing, but there are more games on the disc..

It doesn't come with Wii. You have to buy the Wii game console separately.

I've had it for two years now and absolutely love it. It's not a great workout, but it's definitely fun, and you do burn some calories while playing the games.

For fun and a light workout? I recommend it highly. For an actual WORKOUT workout? Not so much.

I had to rebuy the board, (a cousin broke mine.) They now sale Wii Fit Plus with the Wii Fit Board. Just a bonus to know. As the person I'm quoting said above, you d have to buy the Wii separately, because the Wii Fit Board is an accessory.
  • Goldenwoof
    Options
    but you don't think the wii fit will or can replace a 45 min session of cardio, correct? i just needed to change things up a bit so my body doesn't get stuck in a rut.... thought this might be a good solution... but if it's not then i won't waste the money on getting one and maybe just buy a few dvd's....

There's no WAY a 45-minute Wii Fit session could replace a 45-minute cardio session. Wii Fit can be a fun diversion, but would never replace any real workouts.

If you're a beginner, it can be a nice introduction to exercise, but it could never replace anything else you do. A fun addition, yeah, but not a replacement. :)
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options

There's no WAY a 45-minute Wii Fit session could replace a 45-minute cardio session. Wii Fit can be a fun diversion, but would never replace any real workouts.

If you're a beginner, it can be a nice introduction to exercise, but it could never replace anything else you do. A fun addition, yeah, but not a replacement. :)

I guess you have never done Wii Fit Plus Boxing.... It burns 100 calories in 10 minutes.
  • veni84
    veni84 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have a wii fit and there are some good strength excrises but for cardio its not that great. I recommend the wii EA active 2 game, it comes with a heart rate monitor and it has tons of workouts for cardio. the game was $24 at target when i got it about a month ago. And the wii console can be as low as $99 used at gamestop
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    There are other work out games that you can purchase as well. As for the will never replace a "real" cardio workout, I guess I lost 30lbs from June to Aug doing nothing - that was my sole exercise source at the time.

It is fun and makes it fun and if exercise is fun you tend to want to do it more. I can say I enjoyed it and has worked for me. But you will have to decide for yourself!
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Richard Simmons DVD's. It has 5 DVD's and they have different levels of Exercises. You get a GOOD Workout, believe me.
    Also, I have some Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's. They have all different Levels of Workouts.
    Yes, I have the Wii Fit Plus and I have a couple of the Biggest Loser Workouts for it. I was online with Wii last night and they have a lot more Exercise Accessories that I didn't know about.
    Just go online and research Exercise _________ (whatever you want to know). I do it all the time. If you want DVD's check out Collage Exercise Videos.
    Good Luck.
  • Sagetheplace
    Sagetheplace Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There are so many exercise games for the wii, i have golds gym dance, exerbeat, walk it out, ea active and ea active more workouts. You can play all of those without the balance board. Not having to buy a balance board makes it ALOT cheaper. All of those games are also more intense then wii fit. Also they are fun so you usally play them longer then you intend to.

For videos I use www.exercisetv.tv/workout-videos/ all the time and search free videos. They have some really great full length videos. They have of types to choose from stregth, circuit, dance, kickboxing and so many more.
  • lin7604
    Options

Thank you for that!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on the wii....it's a workout! Zumba is the same whether you do it at a class, on DVD or the wii (I know this from experience!!) You can also get a lift to put under the wii fit to make the step workouts more challenging. I'm really not sure why people think cardio in a gym is better then cardio on the wii. If you get your heart rate up to your burn zone it doesn't matter where you do it! I think as with any exercise, you get out of it what you put in. If they are referring to the specific games that come with the wii fit, some aren't much of a workout and some are. You can then purchase other games that are more challenging. It also weighs you and tracks your weight and workout schedule. Personally if you only workout at home... I would recommend it. That's just my opinion though! =)
  • aleah623
    aleah623 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser Wii games are a workout. When I do those I have sweat pouring off of me.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have the biggest loser for wii, also love the cardio gold's gym, EA Active is also very good. They won't replace your cardio routine but you'll get a nice burn and if done right you'll be a little sore the next day.
  • kolyn75
    kolyn75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have to agree Wii fit is a good starting point or weight loss tool. I bought it because I have a friend that dropped several pants sizes and pounds using it. She is still using it to maintain.