Muscle Soreness

Options
So, I am trying different strategies to reduce the amount of days I'm sore. After doing a circuit training class on Saturdays I am sore until Wednesday. I have been doing the class for a year and I'm still sore - EVERY WEEK! (I also do spinning several times a week - and I feel very little soreness after these classes.) I should mention I have knee problems (two surgeries).

Yesterday I tried taking a protein powder after class - it helped a little. I also drank a ton of water. I also use my foam roller to help with the discomfort. I begin feeling sore approximately 12 hours after the class...

My questions are:
- How many days after exercising do you feel sore?
- What do you do to reduce the soreness?

Replies

• MattArcade
    MattArcade Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I have only just started at the gym and back in my day loved to run. So for me now after a while on the treadmill or push bike my legs are constantly tired even a week down the line.
    Once i finish a workout i'll have a protein shake straight away and ensure that i've got enough protein in me before i work out. I'm still learning the protein vs carbs at the moment so bare with me.
    As well as this i mix up cardio with strength training so when i feel my legs are tired i'll hit the weights and vice versa. Best advice someone told me when biking was if your legs ache move it down a few gears so your spinning to take the strain off.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I actually like being a bit sore because I feel like I've worked haha but usually for me it is to do with how frequently I do an exercise. For example, if I do a weekly body pump (weights) class then I will be sore every week but if I do it every other day then I build up a tolerance. Same with all of my other workouts too!
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Yeah, I have very little soreness after spinning - just for a day. It's the circuit training class that hurts for the next 4-5 days....
  • daryls
    Options
    I may try that - doing circuit training 2 times a week - on Saturdays and Wednesdays and see if I can build up some strength/endurance....

I'm also sore after running for 2-3 days...

But, nothing hurts me like the circuit training!
  • ariel3561
    ariel3561 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I thought I was in ok shape because I'd been working out regularly until I hired a trainer. Even after a month I am still sore after almost every session for 2 days, then it's time for the next session. I'm hoping that with time it won't be so bad but I know she will be pushing me harder the stronger and more fit I get, which is what I need. You may try to work in one extra lighter circuit or strength training during the week to help you build strength. I've heard it takes at least 2 strength workouts a week to get stronger.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention it, but i assume you stretch properly after each workout or circuit class?

Also, do you get sore straight after, and it stays that way for days, or do you feel fine afterwards, but get sore the following day?
  • daryls
    Options
    I do the stretches in class - approximately 5 minutes. I am find after class - and then get sore about 12 hours later....
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Do you warm up first? Or just jump straight I to the exercise?

If you don't already, then try a 10 min warm up before working hard.
  • texascarl1
    texascarl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try taking vitamin C (200mg to 500mg) during or right after your workout. It 'carries out the trash' including some of the by-products our body creates during exercise that generate the sore muscles. Seems to help some folks.
  • fraktion
    Options
    I've been trying to up my workouts lately by joining a crossfit class....

I can tell you, I haven't felt soreness like it since starting on my fitness drive, which can only mean I wasn't working nearly as hard as I should.

It's sunday night now, I'm still feeling it in my legs after friday nights session. What makes it worse is my abs didn't start hurting until this morning! It's a crazy feeling.

But good ;-)

(4 min tabata, back extensions, situps, full range squats, pullups then double unders)

I find the power plate works to 'roll out' some soreness.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do the stretches in class - approximately 5 minutes. I am find after class - and then get sore about 12 hours later....

Google DOMS (Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness). The stretching and the vitamins recommendations help in reducing DOMS, but do not address the root cause.

Exercise breaks muscle down. Re-building muscle requires protein (and a small amount of calcium). Put 4-6oz of a lean protein in your body within 30mins of exercising for best results. Coupling this with calcium keeps your body from seeking out calcium that is already in your body (bones, teeth) to complete the process. An easy way to accomplish this is with a commercial potein powder or a pre-mixed "recovery drink" (ex: "Muscle Milk"). 2% Chocolate milk, in moderation, does the same thing.

I used to have a huge problem with DOMS due to my kickboxing and CrossFit. I worked with a sports nutritionist to figure out the right combination of quick-absorption "after workout" proteins and slow-absorbtion "keep DOMS at bay" proteins so that my days weren't a nightmare of sore muscles. When I don't follow the plan I experience very bad soreness, but when I do it is much more manageable. Stretching can help, but can also be counter-productive... when you stretch, you're gently tearing the muscle fibers so that they can rebuild as a longer fiber. The tearing is similar to the breakdown that's causing the DOMS in the first place. The vitamins help break down the energy in food more effectively, so they assist your body in getting the necessary protein - but they don't directly address the protein need. The major benefit of the vitiamins is more likely the inclusion of the minerals (potasium, calcium).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I'm the same way even with my somewhat moderate workout routine. Ouch! I was hoping it would go away, now I wonder. I'm having problems with muscles and maybe tendons because of the tai chi and kick boxing knees slightly bent, feet shoulder width apart starting positions and when I walk it just seems to aggravate it even more the next day.

But that might explain why I'm craving hamburger and milk so much lately. If I'm using protein and calcium for my workouts, my body must want me to put it back!
  • daryls
    Options
    So, I'm going to give the calcium/protein after workouts a try for the next few weeks and hopefully will see some changes in soreness.

Thanks!