Somewhere I am going wrong

Options
I have been monitoring what I eat and exercising (mostly walking) and yet somehow I have managed to gain 5 pounds instead of losing weight I am 5'9" and weigh now 245 pounds. I need to lose 85 now or my doctor is wanting to send me for the gastric bypass surgery and from what I have seen and heard about that surgery it is not all that great. So if anyone has some helpful hints or advice I could sure use it. Oh also I am a diabetic with high cholestoral and a vitimin d deficciency.

Replies

• _magnolias
    Options
    If you've been drinking more water and exercising more it's not all that uncommon to gain weight in the beginning, with water weight added on and muscle building up. You may have found that your pants and clothes are a little looser though, even though you've gained weight. If it's muscle that's been building up from the walking (if it's water weight unfortunately they won't be) muscle weighs more than fat so you'll lose inches but gain on the scale. I know that when I've tried to cut back in the past that has almost always happened to me. :ohwell:

Don't be discouraged! Just keep walking, watching your caloric intake, and drinking more water and pretty soon you'll actually swing the other way and really start to see the changes.:flowerforyou:
  • Dgaines54
    Options
    Your diary is private, so without seeing specifics, I can only give general advice.... so keep it up. Make sure you aren't secretly cheating yourself. Walking is an relatively easy exercise, so do as much as you can.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I've been using MFP for MONTHS and I've only lost 5 pounds according to the scale even though I also do everything right (okay... maybe 90% of things right). My advice is don't focus on the scale. There are 10000 reasons the scale might say you're gaining weight when it's not necessarily true - water retention, when you weigh yourself, etc.

Try to focus on your measurements, the way your clothes fit you, and how YOU feel - do you have more energy overall or are you tired, etc.
  • dragerbrager
    Options
    not sure how to make my diary public
  • _magnolias
    Options
    If you go to "food" and then "settings" it's at the bottom. You can choose private, public, friends only, etc so that people can see your food diary. It is here that you can actually change what you're tracking as well.
  • morales08
    Options
    watch the salt!!! before mfp was tracking it, there is no telling how much salt i was taking in!!!! it really makes a difference.:flowerforyou:
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    I feel your pain. My scale is being not nice as well. Back to being really strict. Good luck with your diet. Stick with it and do not throw your scale into oncoming traffic.
  • dragerbrager
    Options
    well I have corrected my diary so its now public
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Ok Im a nurse, be sure you are getting enough protein, yes it makes a diffrence. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so dont be discouraged. Also increase your fiber rich foods they make you feel fuller.