Bumpily bump
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think I have it....

Current Weight: 266
    BMR: 1913
    Maintenance: 2390
    The difference after the formula is 523......I'm getting kind of lost here but I'm thinking that, oh forget it....HELP!!!

Retry: Since I got this far, what if I set my goal at 1390 a day and kept track of my calories burned but not on MFP? Wouldn't I loose 2 pounds in a week? I'm going to stick around for an answer, if anyone is so kind to explain where I got lost and inbox me, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with my 1390 for a week and see what happens :)

Yes, I would stick to the 1390 for now, and eat all your exercise calories to keep the 1000 calorie deficit. As you lose weight, that number (1390) will go down and down and down until it hits 1200. Since it's unhealthy for anyone to eat less than 1200 calories, MFP caps it off there. At 1200, your Maintenance should be 2200. Once your maintenance starts going below 2200, you can switch to this method which will allow you to still get that 1000 calorie deficit with exercise. But for now - stick with the MFP ways. Good luck :)
  • olivia3263
    Options
    Hi Olivia

Can you help me? I am exercising and having a deficit each day but not losing weight.

I am 5" 2' and weigh 72kgs and I want to lose 12-14kgs.

I am also breastfeeding so I need to add another 1500 calories on top of what my goal calories are: MFP says I need to eat 1240 calories.

I do at least 20 mins strength/cardio and walk 30mins 5-6 days a week.

Can you work out what I need to set my MFP at?

Thanks

What is your BMR? I can't figure it out without that number.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I just changed my info. I think I'm going to really like seeing all of that green!! It seems like it will motivate me to stick with my goals a little better and help me break this stupid plateau. I've always responded better to positive reinforcement. : )
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the only one confused by it all, I feel stupid every time I read it cause all I can think is "huh"?
    How many have seen results from this so far? Maybe I can ask DH to sit with me and help figure it out.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I guess I am the only one confused by it all, I feel stupid every time I read it cause all I can think is "huh"?
    How many have seen results from this so far? Maybe I can ask DH to sit with me and help figure it out.

LOL, you aren't the only one. I've tried reading it a few times and I still don't get it.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options

LOL, you aren't the only one. I've tried reading it a few times and I still don't get it.

Thank you....nice to know I'm not alone!!! :wink:
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options

We'd all be glad to help. Where's the confusion at? You don't have to do the math. Let MFP do all the calcs for you. Get your BMR cals from the TOOLS calculator, and set your MFP goals to Maintain current weight rather than lose a specific number. Then eat only the BMR cals instead of what shows available in green, and that green number will be your deficit for the day. Goal is to have that between 500-1000 every day once you log exercise. If you go over 1,000 eat to get back to 1,000.
  • vannie18
    Options
    bump
  • Ramitta
    Ramitta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    I am so lost but really want to give this a try, I've figured out my numbers but still am not sure what to do. So please help me out here.
    I've used this calculator (http://www.everydayhealth.com/toolkit/bmr-calculator.aspx) to help me with BMR...

step 1. 1208
    step 2. 1570
    step 3. 638

And now I'm lost....what is it I need to look at to continue losing?
  • kikkipoo
    Options
    I am so lost but really want to give this a try, I've figured out my numbers but still am not sure what to do. So please help me out here.
    I've used this calculator (http://www.everydayhealth.com/toolkit/bmr-calculator.aspx) to help me with BMR...

step 1. 1208
    step 2. 1570
    step 3. 638

And now I'm lost....what is it I need to look at to continue losing?

1. set your MFP calorie goal to 1570 through MY HOME...GOALS...CHANGE GOALS...CUSTOM
    2.Eat only 1208 calories a day (maybe 100-200 more as hunger guides you)
    3. Exercise to burn 638 calories a day to obtain the max 1,000 calorie daily deficit (THE NUMBER IN GREEN from MY HOME...log calories)

Note: NEVER EAT LESS THAN 1208 and never go over 1,000 calorie deficit (if you burn more than 638 calories at the gym, eat some back until your green number is 1,000 again) .

Green number approximate guidelines: 500 a day=1 lb loss / wk and 1,000 a day=2 lb loss / week, but the key here is that you are never eating fewer calories than your body requires to function (BMR) or you will go into starvation mode and hit brick walls.

Why this is different than the way MFP does it: Those of us on the lower end of excess weight are told that 1200 is the lowest you should go in calories, yet when we set it to lose 2 pounds we get a 1200 min and it says the best we can hope for is say maybe 1.2 pound per week loss. MFP defaults to obtaining your deficit through calorie reduction sometimes to the point where we see it says 1200 but eat even fewer because we still want to hit that 2 pound loss, where as the Olivia Method is based more on requiring you to eat what your body needs and obtaining your deficit to get to the 2 pound loss through exercise. It's okay to net under 1200 calories, but it's not okay to EAT less than 1200 calories. Let the green number be your guide. It is now no longer representative of how many calories you can eat, but how many calories you are in deficit from the number required to stay at your same weight, hence weight loss. Every 3500 calories in deficit you lose a lb of weight. So, a total of 3500 calories in the green over the course of a week means you have lost a pound....and finally it's a number you can track to see if your results are on target, and adjust accordingly.
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

We'd all be glad to help. Where's the confusion at? You don't have to do the math. Let MFP do all the calcs for you. Get your BMR cals from the TOOLS calculator, and set your MFP goals to Maintain current weight rather than lose a specific number. Then eat only the BMR cals instead of what shows available in green, and that green number will be your deficit for the day. Goal is to have that between 500-1000 every day once you log exercise. If you go over 1,000 eat to get back to 1,000.

Thank you for taking the time to try to explain! I think it's starting to get a little more clear now. I have to run right now but I'm going to figure out my numbers when I get back home and hopefully fully understand this. :)
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • eclecticdeb
    eclecticdeb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Kawaii618
    Kawaii618 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In order for this to work do you have to login your daily calories burned with excercise and calories consumed daily? Dude I'm still high on nyquil from last night, I'm lost. My BMR is 1688. I'm 5'5 age 28 and weigh 211. Help u_u
  • olivia3263
    Options
    In order for this to work do you have to login your daily calories burned with excercise and calories consumed daily? Dude I'm still high on nyquil from last night, I'm lost. My BMR is 1688. I'm 5'5 age 28 and weigh 211. Help u_u

Yes, you have to log your exercise so you can see your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). It's from this number that you want to create a deficit.

So you setup MFP to maintain: (I use my BMR x 1.3, but if you use MFP for maintenance at sedentary, they use x 1.2, or lightly active 1.375). Let's say you use sedentary, that would make your maintenance calorie goal 2,026. You would then aim to eat above and near your BMR everyday, whether you workout or not - so let's make 1700 your personal goal. This gives you a deficit of 326 on your off days of exercise. You can increase this deficit with exercise if you don't eat those calories (but make sure to log it). To obtain the full 1000 calorie deficit (the max you want to go) you would need to burn 674 calories. Anything you burn over this number needs to be eaten. So if you burn 800, you need to eat at least 1700 + 126 (1826). But again, the 1000 calorie deficit is just a maximum number - feel free to vary your deficit day to day depending on how you feel. I usually stick around a 700 - 800 deficit, with one day near 1000, and one day near 250. This keeps my comfort level happy. If I tried to hit 1000 everyday I'd be pretty grumpy, but that's just me.

Good luck :)
  • kikkipoo
    Options

Yes, you track as normal, including exercise. If your BMR is 1688, that's the minimum amount you eat....now just go into goals and using the custom setting tell it to recalc your calories based on sedentary (unless you have a physical job) and zero exercise with zero calorie burn and goal is to "maintain current weight". Then you'll be all set up. Aim for your number in green to be between 500-1000 calories a day by end of day and never eat less than 1688.