Early Pregnancy weight gain...hard work down the drain...adv

Options
I just found out I am pregnant AGAIN. I suffered a miscarage in September which put me in a huge funk. Due to this funk I lost weight and decided to take my anger out exercising and eating really healthy. I am currently 5 and a half weeks and have packed on 7 pounds since November 24th ( darn you Thanksgiving). No matter what I do I can't get on track I just eat....eat....eat till I feel like I'm going to explode and then do it all over again 2 hours later. I thought it was water so I drank tons....nope not a pound off. I am already getting asked if I'm prego and I haven't even told a soul...extremely embarrassing. I can't seem to get full and always go for the Cheese Nips and pringles and of course leftover Halloween candy....I need advice on how to control my eating.... My first pregnancy I did this and gained 100 pounds....second one used this site and gained 23.... what is going on here....I hate junk food and my body could never hold this much food before....I wouldn't be so concerned if I didn't pack on the pounds this fast....I am only supposed to gain 4 pounds max in the first 12 weeks according to my DR.... Anybody pregnant having this issue or has had and can yell me what to do or not do....thanks Jami

Replies

• Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! Great to see that you are planning to watch what you eat while pregnant. So many people use pregnancy as an excuse to eat as much as they want and they end up gaining way too much weight. Exercise is what really helped me with my second pregnancy. Try not to stress- hormones are all wacky in the first trimester as you know- things will probably level out a bit soon and then you might find you have more energy to be more mindful about what you are eating. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend! :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Early in pregnancy you will retain a TON of water and be very bloated. At 8 wks morning sickness kicked in for me and I couldn't keep anything down for 2 months, lost 10 lbs and missed those days of eating.

I wouldn't worry about weight gain in the first trimester, it will be a lot of water. Just watch your sodium and make healthy choices, lots of fiber, iron, prenatals etc.

Best of luck, I had 5 miscarriages so I know how scarey the first trimester can be.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to keep only healthy foods in the house. It was my fix and I gained 30 pounds exactly with my second. I ate as much as I wanted but it was healthy food. I didn't buy cookies or chips, if I did buy chips it was tortilla for salsa... Hope this helps.
  • natersmama
    Options
    well first of all congratulations on your pregnancy! i wouldnt be too concerned with what you're gaining right now. i gained about 15 lbs in my first 15 weeks i think. give or take a week and a couple pounds. and my first dr was so hard on me about it. and it was the same as you pretty much. just never felt full. then i moved out of state, got a new dr and he never mentioned how much i had gained. and the weight gain plateaued around 25 wks. i would go and maybe have gained a pound. or i would weigh a pound less. once my hormones leveled off my appetite got back to normal. i will say i did gain 45 lbs. but the last 15 lbs was in the last 5 wks of pregnancy. it was all water weight bc of the NC heat i was so swollen i couldnt even wear flip flops. =( but good luck on your pregnancy! i hope it goes well.
  • vachegomoo
    Options
    I'd just chalk it up to hormones... When I was about 5 weeks pregnant I couldn't stuff my face fast enough - I had to eat at least every 20-30 mins or I'd feel like I was about to starve. Once morning sickness hit the eating tapered off and I actually lost a bit of weight. Try eating more often so you don't get to the point where you need to binge on junk food and load up on healthy stuff instead, but bottom line DON'T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!! Pregnancy can be stressful enough, so try not to worry about it too much! It's ok to give into the cravings every now and then, otherwise all you'll be able to think about is pizza and cheese curds and you'll drive yourself nuts and be miserable. I gained 50 lbs with my little guy even though I exercised and really watched what I ate, I think there was a week where I gained 10 lbs in one go. I got a few lectures on the weight gain, but in the end your body knows what it needs to grow that baby.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations!

I'm pregnant with my third and I definitely understand the constant eating. I think my work with MFP has gotten my metabolism working properly so I haven't had problems with weight gain. I didn't gain anything for the first half and now that I'm 36 weeks I've only gained about 15 pounds. I honestly don't know how, I've been eating tons of whatever I feel like, regardless of how "bad" it is.

My only suggestion is to keep healthy foods around and only give into cravings when you can't stop thinking about a food. I usually make myself wait until the next time I'm at the store and if I still feel like I need to have it, I buy it. Most of the time the cravings go away within a few hours, or as soon as I eat something else.
  • catmama009
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I, too, am pregnant (12 weeks) and understand your concerns. My weight has fluctuated as much as 4 pounds in one day (wearing the same clothes and with the scale in the same spot). Don't be too hard on yourself. I agree with the other posts that mentioned not bringing the unhealthy foods in your home. For me, its the cookies, cakes and other treats that people bring into work this time of year. So, I stick to bringing my lunch daily and committing to eating only what I bring from lunch until quitting time. I figure that narrows my snacking time to 4 hours (8 to noon) and gives my body all day to metabolize the junk. Also, for some reason adding a little lemon to my water has seemed to give me a more "full" feeling. Hopefully this helps a little.
  • alamonica
    Options
    Congratulations! I started MFP a week before Thanksgiving dropped 5 pounds in one week then Thanksgiving hit (ok so yeah a couple pounds rebound but that was to be expected) however since then I have done nothing but gain weight even when I'm eating around 1450 calories a day for the most part. I appreciate everyone's comments on this thread as I suspect I might be pregnant and retaining a lot of water right now. I have gained back 4 of the 5 lbs in the last week. This would be my first pregnancy if I am so I don't have the experience on this topic that others have shared. Take it easy on yourself and try to eat many small meals would be my advice.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    You show faster with every subsequent pregnancy because your body "remembers" what it has to do, so don't worry that people are already asking if you're pregnant. With my 3rd pregnancy, people asked me constantly if I was sure it wasn't twins again. (I had twins the 2nd time.)
    I'd say eat when you feel the need to, but make sure you're eating healthy. The baby takes all the nutrients it needs from your body, so if you're not fueling your body properly, it will be you that suffers, not the baby.
    The first trimester was always the worst for me for feeling like I just couldn't eat enough. Then it tapers off and as the baby gets bigger, you can't eat as much anyway. It should all even out in the end. :) What matters right now is growing a healthy baby and keeping Mama healthy too. Congrats!!
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Something that helps me control eating is once I'm full, I brush my teeth. I hate eating with clean teeth, so it makes me stop, even for a little while. Plus, it's a healthy thing to do and your teeth will appreciate it. Congrats on your pregnancy!
  • tjpinch
    tjpinch Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

Not sure if you want my advice; I put on 40lb both times :P FWIW, some of that is water. Keep healthy snacks in the house, and try to exercise. I know it's the last thing I wanted to do, especially in the 1st tri, but I always felt better after doing it.
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Jami, Congratulations on your pregnancy. That's exciting news! And, I can feel your pain about the miscarriage. I'm sorry to hear it. But good for you to channel that energy and grief into getting healthy. Nothing is down the drain. Your hard work does amount to something. What I am hearing from you is a lot of first trimester hormones. Don't stress about what the doctor tells you. Try your best and let go of the rest. Focus on eating healthy foods, if you can... or at a minimum, low calorie foods. If you're feeling hungry all the time, try to eat small meals or snacks throughout the day (instead of three bigger meals). That should help with the cravings. A hot cup of herbal tea always helps me feel better when I'm feeling hungry (or not, and wanting to eat). And I was always super tired, so getting extra sleep helped me manage my emotions and eating better. You'll get through this pregnancy just fine. Congrats again!