Human Oddities

Options
Meghan0129
Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
I was listening to the radio this morning and heard an interesting fact.
People who sneeze when it’s sunny actually have a genetic condition called ACHOO syndrome (Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome). From what I gather, this photic sneeze reflex is triggered by the exposure to bright light and may be caused by a neurological mix up where the brain perceives and irritation of the eyes as an irritation of the nose and thus reacts by sneezing. About 1/3rd of the population has this trait.
I am a sun sneezer but never knew why… now I know.

If anyone else knows of an interesting human oddity, please post and enlighten us all.

Replies

• Meghan0129
    Options
    People who sneeze when it’s sunny actually have a genetic condition called ACHOO syndrome (Autosomal dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst syndrome). From what I gather, this photic sneeze reflex is triggered by the exposure to bright light and may be caused by a neurological mix up where the brain perceives and irritation of the eyes as an irritation of the nose and thus reacts by sneezing. About 1/3rd of the population has this trait.

If anyone else knows of an interesting human oddity, please post and enlighten us all.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options

That's crazy both my kids do it, my boyfriend does it also !!! i always thought it was a boy thing lol..... Weird that it's called ACHOO syndrome... very interesting
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Me too! :laugh: If I look somewhat directly at the sun I can force myself to sneeze. :tongue:

My bf sneezes when he eats dark chocolate...I wonder what that is...?
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that does it. Every time we go out into the sun, if she doesn't have her sunglasses especially, she sneezes.

However, sometimes I sneeze when I start chewing one of those really strong minty pieces of gum.. :ohwell:

no clue
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My daughter always sneezes when we go into the sun from a shady place..
    she only sneezes like once or twice and my mother in law would make jokes about her being allergic to the sun....
    That was a pretty cool post!
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My daughter always sneezes when we go into the sun from a shady place..
    she only sneezes like once or twice and my mother in law would make jokes about her being allergic to the sun....
    That was a pretty cool post!
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    From what I have read it appears that strong flavored foods such as mints or spicy foods can also cause sneezing due to irritation to the mucous membranes. The chocolate baffles me though :wink: One poor girl wrote into an advice column because she sneeze after she eats anything. She was worried because she had plans to go on a date and was nervous she would start sneezing in the middle of dinner.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I know a sun sneezer. :laugh:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a sun sneezer, cold air sneezer, and after brushing my teeth with mint tooth paste sneezer.

My hubby thinks it's so weird that I sneeze every single night after brushing my teef.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Wow and I always thought maybe I was just weird! Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to tell my hubby about it :happy:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I'm a sun sneezer, cold air sneezer, and after brushing my teeth with mint tooth paste sneezer.

My hubby thinks it's so weird that I sneeze every single night after brushing my teef.

That's funny! :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I get the hiccups when I eat bread.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband sneezes if he bites an Altoid
  • LostinCali
    LostinCali Posts: 155
    Options
    Interesting.. I must be a sun sneezer cause when I feel a sneeze coming on that won't come out, if I look into light or sun, it works. hehe
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a trend here.. maybe something to do with Mint and sneezing also????
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I get the hiccups when I eat bread.

I don't know why, but that made me laugh. :laugh:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted that - it had the same effect on me..:laugh: :laugh:
  • mommared53
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: It's true though. :laugh:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: It's true though. :laugh:

I know, I do it too. I think it is because I need to drink water when I eat bread. :tongue:

I think it made me laugh because it seemed random between all the sneeze posts. It was just really cute.. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    Options
    :smile: