Avoiding Sodium

Options
Trying to do a low-fat, no cholesterol, low calorie diet, and still get enough protein, but that shoots my sodium too high. For breakfast I had egg whites, no fat cottage cheese, a veggie burger, which was good for everything except it was the majority of my sodium for the whole day.

Replies

• wonca
    wonca Posts: 81
    Options
    replace whatever your high sodium food was and/or drink a lot of water.
  • sunnykt
    Options
    Well if that burger was the majority of your sodium, you just try to avoid having too much in the other things you are going to eat today. Having slightly too much sodium, isn't going to kill you. An excess of sodium can cause edema, and high blood pressure. A low sodium intake leads to lower blood pressure and brings about diuresis. Like most other vitamins or minerals it is a balance between two little being bad and too much also being bad. Next time maybe you can make your own veggie patty to eliminate added sodium? Don't avoid sodium. Sure, it's extensively over-used in packaged products, but if you are eating healthy whole foods most of the time sodium can be your frienemy.
    Drink a few extra glasses of water and you'll be sweet. At least you're less likely to get sunstroke?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is high in sodium.....I love full fat cottage cheese and just have to accept that its high sodium
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Trying to do a low-fat, no cholesterol, low calorie diet, and still get enough protein, but that shoots my sodium too high. For breakfast I had egg whites, no fat cottage cheese, a veggie burger, which was good for everything except it was the majority of my sodium for the whole day.

why low fat and no cholesterol? fat isn't bad for you

and no reason to really worry about sodium unless you already suffer from hypertension
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    toss that yolk back in your meal and enjoy it, dietary cholesterol doesn't affect your numbers like they previously thought, your own liver has more to do with that.

To "avoid" sodium step back from processed foods wherever possible, they all have salt added. I eat 3 eggs for breakfast multiple times a week (more than 4 days most weeks) and my numbers are perfect as per last months blood test. Been eating that many WHOLE eggs for a couple years now.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Well the whole eggs are fine if you have no issues with Cholesterol, if you are taking a cholesterol medication that is a good indication (this is from the doctor) that "all" cholesterol in the diet needs to be limited since the body is already providing an overabundance. So yeah, perfect cholesterol, go ahead and eat a couple of dozen eggs a week, but keep in mind, the professional medical community is seriously divided over dietary cholesterol so I do have an issue with all the PRO egg folks out there saying have 2 or 3 a day is ok for one and all. Just because any food can be eaten by some folks all the time does not mean all the people can eat some foods all the of the time. This is like all the free medical advice I see all the time on some of the forums, lol. Did you take a full health history of the person you are telling they can have all the salt and all the cholesterol they want? Probably should. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    right here form the forums

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

That's "my" disclaimer as much as it is yours.

If you're going to the trouble of "having eggs" but only eating the white, what's the point? But then again I opt for whole-fat milk (homogenized), full fat miracle whip over the reduced fat (and taste) options, don't deal with salad dressings (don't see the point in eating a 5 calorie plate of spinach to load it with a 200+ calorie dressing. I can achieve the same "33% less fat" by using 1/3 less of my whole fat option.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    mea culpa and I should have posted that "disclaimer" on my comment I suppose, kind of expected to get slammed for my comment so no worries.