Goal Achieved. Now...?

Options
Alright, I've accomplished my goal; I lost 104lbs (yeah :happy: ) Now I need to learn how to maintain. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I don't really have much advice on maintaining other than to just measure yourself now and then to see where you're at.
  • HayleeWho
    Options
    congrats! Well you can eat a slight amount more carbs but don't over do it! :D
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Great job!! Personally, my maintenance is really close to what MFP thinks it is. I eat around what they claim for maintaining, and I haven't gained weight (or lost weight) in around 4 months.

What did you have your calorie goal set to? If you had it set to lose 0.5 lb per week, go ahead and change it to maintain your weight. The 250 cals more a day should ease you into the new calorie goal easily :)

If you had it set to lose 1 lb (or more) try setting it a little less, waiting a week (or 3) and setting it less and less until you get to maintain your weight as your calorie goal. Rarely, increasing your calories all at once (from say, 1200 to 2000) will cause a little gain. Usually that gain disappears, but to avoid it altogether you can increase your calories slowly until you hit maintenance level.

Congrats!!!!!!!
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    this is awsome I am not at that point but I do belive when I get there in the next 15 or so pounds I am going to keep up with my healthy eating and excerise my motto will be In order to keep her you must do the same thing you did to get her but of course switch to regular cals
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Grats, I'm 3 pounds from mine. I am going to strength train like a mad man LOL. I'm going to get in shape for rock climbing in the spring, doing things I couldnt do before.

But as for what or how to eat to maintain I have no clue, but you did and I did figure out how to lose the weight, I'm sure we will figure this out as well.:happy:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I lost 72 lbs, maintained for a good two years, and then slowly found 40+ of it again over the course of a year. As I struggle to re-lose that 40 (I've got 15 more to go), here's what I will tell you worked for me when I DID successfully maintain:

1) Once you raise your calories to a maintenance level KEEP LOGGING! This is the most important thing for me. . . and when I started getting lazy on my food log, that's when I started gaining again.

2) WEIGH REGULARLY, and if you gain more than a few lbs (e.g., normal TOM fluctuation, water weight variance, etc.) drop your calorie goal back down to your "losing" amount again IMMEDIATELY! Don't let one or two lbs turn into five . . . and then ten. .. . . and then . . . well, you know.

3) ENJOY THE NEW YOU! Enjoy your energy and activity level! Enjoy how you look and feel in your clothes!
  • Mekob25
    Mekob25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks SO much! I appreciate these great tips!!!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

What everyone else said -- the only thing that changes now is you set your calorie goal for maintenance. If you stick with logging, even if you're occasionally over goal, you will drift back down to your current weight when you continue to observe the goal.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite at my goal yet, but my current plan is just to maintain til after Christmas (I work for UPS and saying I have no free time right now is an understatement). The only thing I've changed is that I don't count calories on the weekends. My weight is usually up 4 lbs on Monday and by Friday it's back to normal. I'm also only getting one day of formal exercise per week, but spending more time on my feet at work so I think the calories burned is probably balancing out.

I would just try different things and see what is easiest for you to maintain.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Eat normally, and realize crazy foods are more of a 'special occasion' type thing. Ice cream, fastfood , large meals or nights of drinking are things that can be enjoyed in moderation. If you go back to old eating habits, you know where you'll end up.

You clearly have the knowledge about nutrition and exercise now, so make sure its led to permanent change.

Congrats.
  • sarahstolberg
    sarahstolberg Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say Congrats!! You lost the equivalent of a whole person! AMAZING JOB :)
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you've done an amazing thing. Enjoy!!

I've been maintaining for a little over a year and I am still logging and I weigh myself everyday....well all day long but that's just me...It helps to remind me that I've done this and I don't want it undone. If the number floats up I eat at 100-150 cal deficit for a week or so and it seems to drift back down, so that seems to be working for me.

Also keep one pair of your old pants, for that day when you feel "fat". Put on those old pants, it will help, it really helps me. Sometimes you have to remind yourself how far you've come so you don't start sliding back.

Good luck on the maintenance phase of your journey and again congratulations. You have done an amazing job.
  • Mekob25
    Mekob25 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great advice!
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Run a marathon!
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Be careful! I hit my goal weight and got relaxed and now I am struggling to get the ten pounds I gained back off! Like others have said, keep logging, keep weighing in, and eat things in moderation. I had a "oh what is two or three pounds?" mentality and now I have to work hard again. But congrats I know how great it feels and you should be super super proud of yourself!
  • becky2967
    Options
    well done for reaching your goal!!! xx
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    yep keep doing what youve been doing otherwise you will be in my boat, you dont want to go there and have to lose it all over again! so proud of you!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    What I have done is reset my calorie goal, eat sensibly, log my food, keep up my excercise and check the scale once a week. If I notice a gain I cut out about 300 calories and bump up the exercise to get back to "normal"

I have been in maintenance for 3 months and so far so good. Did put on about 4 lbs but caught it and got rid of it because I know that 4 lbs is gonna turn into 40 before I know it. Been there, done that and don't want to do it again.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Instead of maintaining, why not try to reach the next level- muscle definition? Don't become complacent just because you've reached the first of your goals. Now set a new goal and try to reach that one.
  • maryhosick
    maryhosick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm on a great maintenance program. Check it out at http://withspirit.isagenix.com/ca/en/lifestylepak.html. If you want to hear more about my experience on this let me know. Mary