carbs

Options
I need to know how bad are carbs really and how many does your body need to stay healthy?? I am having a hard time with carbs,I understand you need some for energy. And any thoughts on low carb meals or foods that have worked for you???? Thanks any suggestions would be greatly apperciated!!!!

Replies

• AnthonyScalco
    Options
    I usually eat around 150-180 carbs per day.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Anything in excess will lead to weight gain, whether it is protein or fat it doesn't matter. What matters is to stay within your calorie limit for the day and hitting those macros of yours as closely as possible.
  • mailloux
    Options
    Your food diary will tell you how many carbs you should be eating.One of the most important things to remember about carbs is if it is processed food (bread, white rice intsant potato white pasta and so on) stay away. The best are grain products, beans contain carbs proteins and fiber that is a good choice, 12 grain bread, try using yams rather than white potato, even white yam are better. Hope this helps
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    http://www.helpwithcooking.com/nutrition-information/carbohydrates.html

Read that and it will give you all the information you need.

This is at the end..

"Good" carbohydrates are:

Bran, wheat germ, wholemeal bread, brown rice, potatoes, all forms of pasta but especially wholemeal pasta, barley, oats, lentils, chickpeas, beans, peas, corn, sweet potatoes, wholegrain cereals such as Weetabix, muesli, All bran, brown breads, root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, leeks and radishes.

"Bad" carbohydrates are:

Sweets, sugary breakfast cereals, cakes, pastries, syrup, table sugar (sucrose), fizzy drinks, biscuits, chocolate.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I no scare of carbs, I vacuum with mouth.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Good carbs = the ones you eat
    Bad carbs = the cardboard covering the food you eat.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Limiting my carbs has worked for me. I feel a lot better and have been losing weight. I eat and cook real foods now. I don't buy or eat any processed already made food. The first week was hard, but I never have cravings for sweets or bread anymore. Id much rather have real food like meat and veggies.Maybe its not for everyone, but it works for me.
  • furekurss
    Options
    Limiting my carbs have really worked for me. I feel a lot better and have been loosing weight. I eat and cook real foods now. I don't buy or eat any processed already made food. The first week was hard, but I never crave for sweets or bread anymore. Id much rather have real food like meat and veggies.Maybe its not for everyone, but it works for me.

Real men don’t eat carbs
  • prencesskl
    Options
    I have been doing atkins, and I have to tell you, the less carbs I eat, the better I feel. The first day your hungry as anything but then you have to remind yourself to eat, and you feel a hell of a lot better, I even stopped drinking coffee for the most part
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a carb since 2004!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I need to know how bad are carbs really and how many does your body need to stay healthy??

Nobody can really say how many carbs you need to stay healthy. You need 'some', but 'some' is different for everyone. If you're going for a low-carb diet, then focus on getting your carbs from veggies with lots of fiber. You should be fine.

If you start feeling miserable, low energy, etc... then up your carbs.

If you're not trying for low carb, then pick how much protein you want in your diet, pick how much fat you want in your diet, and fill in the rest with carbs.

Carbs are sugars, starches, and fibers. Everyone seems to forget about fiber. Carbs are found in grains, veggies, and fruits.

Good luck.

And don't forget the fiber.
  • furekurss
    Options
    I need to know how bad are carbs really and how many does your body need to stay healthy??

Nobody can really say how many carbs you need to stay healthy. You need 'some', but 'some' is different for everyone. If you're going for a low-carb diet, then focus on getting your carbs from veggies with lots of fiber. You should be fine.

If you start feeling miserable, low energy, etc... then up your carbs.

If you're not trying for low carb, then pick how much protein you want in your diet, pick how much fat you want in your diet, and fill in the rest with carbs.

Carbs are sugars, starches, and fibers. Everyone seems to forget about fiber. Carbs are found in grains, veggies, and fruits.

Good luck.

And don't forget the fiber.

cat.jpg
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options

Yes you have...fruits and veggies have carbs
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Don't boycott any of the macro-nutrients. You need all of them. It takes time to tweak the ratios for your own physiology. Pick a ratio and track it for 6 to 8 weeks and then adjusts it and track for another 6 to 8 weeks.

Looking at your diary you seem to fall short on your calories by quite a lot most days. That may be part of your struggle.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The best carbs are those that come from non-starchy vegetables (especially green ones) and low glycemic index fruits, like berries. Grains encourage weight gain, whether they be white or whole wheat, as do rice, legumes, and potatoes. Here's an article that explains it very well. http://fitbie.msn.com/eat-right/tips/8-reasons-wheat-making-you-gain/tip/0
  • furekurss
    Options

Yes you have...fruits and veggies have carbs

unaware
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options

someone else must be using your diary then, pasta, bread....
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Good carbs = the ones you eat
    Bad carbs = the cardboard covering the food you eat.

Hahaha xD Yes. I want to steal this :O
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person.
    I have lost 30lbs on a low carb diet. I keep my net carbs under 30 grams a day. I do this because my Physician said its what I need to do and I was also on the slippery slope to Type 2 Diabetes.

I feel a lot better even though I have another 90lbs to go.

If your going to eat carbs its good to focus on whole foods, lots of veggies and bigger fruit that is high in fiber too.
    Apples,
    Pears
    Avocados
    Berries are low in carbs and packed with good stuff.