Lunch ideas for school?

Options
I go to a big, big school. So big they force open campus on us so no one stays inside. With this, I'm not left with a lot choices for lunch. Especially since most places have a "no outside food" policy. There's almost anything you can think of, but I want to start bringing a lot more. I'm not really sure what to bring though. Last week I made a spinach wrap with veggies and hummus, but I don't know I think I wanted something.. a bit.. crunchier? Any suggestions for lunches or snacks with lunch are appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• ParisArkw
    Options
    I could use some ideas, too. I usually bring a peanut butter and jam sandwich, and fruit. Which can get old, haha.
  • Figuringoutme
    Options
    Bring something that you like lol

I bring leftovers a lot.
    veggies
    salad
    tacos
    dry cereal
    soup
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I am a graduate student and am on campus for usually 8 hours a day. Also being a graduate student, I can't afford to eat out everyday. Here is a list of things I bring for lunch and snacks:

Lunches:
    Left-overs from dinner the night before (just 2 of us in house and its hard to cook just for 2 so end up with lots of left-overs)
    Tuna sandwich made with Kraft light mayo with Olive Oil
    Turkey sandwich with fat free cheese, mustard, spinach and tomato
    Michelina's Light gourmet frozen meals (just watch sodium levels)
    Salad with grilled chicken (I get the frozen pre-cooked stuff so I just have to heat it up)

Snacks:
    yogurt and fruit (usually fruit cups in either light syrup or natural juices)
    carrots and celery with Smart Choice PB
    almonds and pretzels
    string cheese
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    A school with a "no-outside food" policy? What school is this?
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    PB2 sandwich on 100 cal bread, or natural PB is good as well. I also bring a cut up apple, bag of grapes, or banana, or orange. And lastly, a yogurt or granola bar. You can also get the JIF to go packs, and bring an apple or banana to have with it. Other favorites are carrots and edamame.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Our school (elementary - not sure about the MS/HS) doesn't allow outside vendors either. A blanket rule like just makes it easier to control what's brought in. It's taken a couple of years, but now it's pretty much the norm. Of course, if a parent walks in with a "special lunch" we don't tell them no. But they do sit in another area. Like I said, since it's been in effect for a few years, very rarely do parents bring in fast food anymore.
  • Jorra
    Options

Our school (elementary - not sure about the MS/HS) doesn't allow outside vendors either. A blanket rule like just makes it easier to control what's brought in. It's taken a couple of years, but now it's pretty much the norm. Of course, if a parent walks in with a "special lunch" we don't tell them no. But they do sit in another area. Like I said, since it's been in effect for a few years, very rarely do parents bring in fast food anymore.

Parents brought fast food for an elementary school kid's lunch? I have never heard of that. I don't see what's wrong with a kid bringing his own lunch, unless he was waving it in front of a kid with allergies.

I was assuming the OP was in college, and a college with a no-outside food policy would just seem silly to me.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Parents brought fast food for an elementary school kid's lunch? I have never heard of that. I don't see what's wrong with a kid bringing his own lunch, unless he was waving it in front of a kid with allergies.

I was assuming the OP was in college, and a college with a no-outside food policy would just seem silly to me.

Food from fast food places often frequented our school cafeteria. And, yes, students can bring in a sack lunch from home. And we don't make comments about what's put in them ... and trust me, there are days when fast food would be far more nutritious! Last week one kid had two bags of chips, Coke, and Oreo's. True story. I can't make stuff like that up.

We also have an allergy table set up for those with dietary restrictions.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Food from fast food places often frequented our school cafeteria. And, yes, students can bring in a sack lunch from home. And we don't make comments about what's put in them ... and trust me, there are days when fast food would be far more nutritious! Last week one kid had two bags of chips, Coke, and Oreo's. True story. I can't make stuff like that up.

We also have an allergy table set up for those with dietary restrictions.

That lunch sounds really sad. It also sounds like the kid packed it himself...what parent would do that? Well, I guess the same ones that would bring fast food to the school.

Allergy table is a good idea, I'll remember that one.
  • kahlee2000
    Options
    Apples, String Cheese, If you make your own soups you can put them in the ziploc containers with the screw on lids and most of them freeze really well. I have two that I absolutely love -- Butternut Sweet Potato soup and a Balsamic Tomato soup. I have adjusted the recipes slightly so that one serving is around 120 calories (a cup). White Chili is another one that if you make it and stay away from the pre-canned soups the are great! They have lots of flavor -- and lots of veggies. I have also done a cold Cucumber and dill soup that is really good as well. There is always chicken or tuna salad with light mayo (use sparingly) and cucumbers, tomatoes, and dill pickles with a little bit of garlic salt -- served on a whole wheat pitta pocket. Anything with beans is a great source of fiber and protein. They are a little higher in calories -- but they are the good calories and provide a great mid day meal
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I bring yogurt, fruit, sandwiches, etc to school. I also love these bistro salad bowls:

http://www.readypac.com/PRODUCTS/ItsAllintheBowlSalads/ReadyPacBistro.aspx

Nuts, granola and wasabi peas travel very well.
  • kenna9765
    Options
    if you get a thermos, you can bring anything that needs to stay warm, OR cold! You could pack last night's dinner in it and have lunch! AND it'd stay warm! (Or cold, whatever) Basically anything can go in there!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    justbento.com - cheap, healthy and fun ways to do lunch for school or work. Take a gander, I advise you.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Homemade tuna salad on bread.

Tuna, mayo and celery. The celery will bring something crunchy. Cheese and crackers? I heard cucumbers with salt is a good substitue for eating potato chips-cruch and saltiness.
  • kellyc3
    Options
    Bump
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love reading blogs for lunch ideas! Feel free to check out mine for some ideas: http://freshfitnfabulous.blogspot.com/ but another good one for lunch ideas is http://www.une-vie-saine.com/. You'll have to go back a ways though because she changed the structure of her blog and it used to be more of a food journal.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    bump
  • justaspringhaze
    Options
    @Kathlee2000: Those soups sound amazing! Would you mind sharing the recipes?
  • xo_alexisrose
    Options
    By no outside food, I mean if I go the pizza place across the street, I can't bring my lunch with me and eat it there. We don't have a cafeteria, really.