Exercise after Chemo and Radiation

Options
No matter how hard I exercise I don't have any stamina and my legs still feel weak. My oncologist said I have to get used to a new normal, some people recover their energy and some don't. That was 14 years ago. Does anyone else have this problem. I am 64 and too young to feel like this. I know good cells get damaged as well as the bad cells, but can't I do something to improve this situation. I am eating properly, lots of fruit, vegetables and protein. It is so frustrating to want to do things and not be able to. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? I'm a 20 year survivor, and my thyroid went wacky and finally stopped working.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I had cancer 12 years ago when I was 29 and recovered completely. I was very unfit up until the beginning of this year when I built up gradually and the results were quite amazing. Started with 5 minutes and was doing 40 within a couple of months on each machine. I now have cancer again and know exactly where you are coming from with the wobbly legs! It's all I can do to get round the supermarket without collapsing in a heap but then I am still having treatment. I don't remember it being as bad as this last time but i am stage 4 now ( it's an unrelated cancer) but I am hoping that I will recover some if my strength when I get a treatment break in the new year. I would definitely get checked out as I'm sure you shouldn't still be experiencing these effects aft all this time
  • marylynn46
    marylynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being a survivor !!!!!!! My doctor says my thyroid is fine. I guess I'll just have to keep plugging away and hope it will improve. Thanks for the input
  • marylynn46
    marylynn46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are a survivor and will be again. To have lost so much weight and fought back is truly inspiring. You are a fighter and will conquer it again. My thoughts are with you.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It took me about three years after chemo and radiation to feel strength rather than exhaustion from exercise. My balance on my right side was totally off. I worked on balance and stretching first, then strength and aerobics. For me it came back, but turning exercise from a burden to an energizer took persistent and continuous effort.