Steel Cut Oatmeal

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
This stuff has been highly reccomended across the board...
So, I bought a canister of it, and didn't realize until I got home that it takes an hour to make! Are there any shortcuts? Can I maybe mix it in with yogurt like granola? I quite simply don't have that much time to throw into making breakfast in the morning given my commute.

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    So, I bought a canister of it, and didn't realize until I got home that it takes an hour to make! Are there any shortcuts? Can I maybe mix it in with yogurt like granola? I quite simply don't have that much time to throw into making breakfast in the morning given my commute.
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of cooked oatmeal, but like you said, mixing it in with yogurt adds great texture!! It's my favorite meal to have a big boal of vanilla yogurt, frozen blueberries, and dry oatmeal!

Best of luck & enjoy!
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Sorry buddy, but you got the old fashioned cook all day oats.:sad: I've did the same thing before. I've found there is a way to cook it mostly overnight (letting them steep in a crock pot) then heating them through for like 10 minutes in the morning.

They do make the best oatmeal (when compared to the "instant" style).

Good luck.
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    Uh.... you have to cook them all day? I never have. I just take a serving, put it in the pot I plan to cook it in, and soak it overnight in the amount of water it takes to make it in the morning . I also add about a tablespoon of yogurt or lemon juice to help neutralize the phytic acids in oatmeal and make it easier to digest. After it's soaked all night, it only takes about 10-15 minutes to cook in the morning.
  • christy559
    christy559 Posts: 105
    Options
    If its not open, return it! Get the Quaker Old Fashioned Rolled Oats. You still have to cook on the stove and its only 5-6 minutes and better than instant.
  • fatfranny
    fatfranny Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found a wonderful crock pot recipe in a magazine using steel cut oats and fine barley. I am at work now, but I will post the specific recipe tonight from home. My entire family loved it, and I live in a hour of picky eaters. I ate the leftovers for the rest of the week. Makes a mess in the crock pot, though. Buy some crock pot liners while I find the recipe........
  • msarro
    Options
    Well, I suppose I can always use it to cook on the weekends! :laugh:
  • Tamrahan
    Tamrahan Posts: 29
    Options
    I get Bob's Red Mill and it takes 12 minutes to cook.
    You could try using a crockpot for what you got and start it up at bedtime.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose I can always use it to cook on the weekends! :laugh:

I "heard" people say on other threads that they cook several batches at once, then refrigerate it and it's still good reheated. Maybe cook a bunch on the weekend and eat through the week!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

McCann's Steel Cut Oats only take a half hour. What kind did you get? I make a big batch on Sundays, and keep the leftovers in the fridge. They reheat very well and really are tasty. So much less processed than the Quaker stuff.

I wouldn't put them in yogurt uncooked though. Unless overnight, it softens the grain up some. I've never heard of doing that with McCann's.

Alton Brown did an entire show on cooking steel cut oats. Try googling his recipe.

They are worth the time!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I "heard" people say on other threads that they cook several batches at once, then refrigerate it and it's still good reheated. Maybe cook a bunch on the weekend and eat through the week!

Yep, that is what I do. I buy the kind in bulk at the natural food store and it takes 30 min to cook. I use 2 c. of steel cut oats and 7 c. of water. Heat to boiling, then let it simmer for 25 min.

I make a big batch on Sundays usually and then reheat during the week. My kids love it too! And 1/4 c. dry makes about 1/2 c. cooked. :wink:

You can try microwaving also, but use it on less power and watch that it doesn't bubble over!! (it leaves a sticky mess!! :noway: )
  • msarro
    Options
    I'm thinking of doing the "make a big batch" thing. I already am short on time in the mornings :smile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I made a batch and put it in the fridge. How long does it stay in the fridge??
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I made a batch and put it in the fridge. How long does it stay in the fridge??

I've made it on a Sunday and it was still fine on Friday. Just make sure it cools a bit before you put it in the fridge. HTH! :wink: But this week we were out on Wed!! My kiddos were hungrier, I guess! :laugh: