think thin protein bars

Options
Does anyone else use these? I seem to eat one a day at least and i am sure that they are not good for you - does anyone have any knowledge about them?

Even more interestingly, i seem to be feeling really awful after i eat them recently....

Does anyone know why?

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I eat the peanut butter ones when I have a craving for peanut butter and chocolate... I'm not sure how healthy they actually are. I treat them as candy bars.
  • kaihato
    Options
    I'm not too sure what is inside those bars, but if you're wanting to take protein I would suggest getting powdered whey isolates. It's just protein, plain and simple.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    yeah thats what i though - i think iwas convincing myself they were healthy but realistically they are just a candy bar... :(
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Nah, candy bars are usually better for you...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Nah, candy bars are usually better for you...

QFT.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    yeah thats what i though - i think iwas convincing myself they were healthy but realistically they are just a candy bar... :(

They are yummy and don't have all the sugar like regular protein bars. But they are artificial and give me a bloated stomach and pain
    I would stick with a powder personally :]
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    They are good for what they are. I like to have one stashed in my bag for "emergencies". I'm sure it would be better to never rely on these sorts of shortcuts but having a bar stashed away has saved me from gorging on kid snacks or hitting a drive through window many times. The chocolate fudge one is my favorite though the smooth peanut butter one is pretty decent too.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

They are yummy and don't have all the sugar like regular protein bars. But they are artificial and give me a bloated stomach and pain
    I would stick with a powder personally :]

They bloat you and give you stomach pain because they are packed with Sugar Alcohols.
    This is extremely common for many people to experience when trying to eat "Sugar Free" foods that are full of Sugar Alcohols
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Greetings ! I personally do not like them. Sugar alcohols. Yuck : (

I do like protein bars once in a blue moon - keep them in my desk at work for times when I"m hungry , want something that seems "snacky" , but are kinda good for you. I prefer Clif Builders and Luna. Clif Builders are large (20 g protein) and I use them more for a meal replacement with skim milk. Or .. eat half as a snack. Choc mint is my fave. Luna - Peppermint stick. Hmmmm. See the mint connection : )

But as someone else suggested, if you are eating them as a means to supplement your protein intake - whey protein powder is much better option. I use Apex Fit Supreme w/ skim and fruit.

Jen
  • Wordwmn
    Options
    Quest Protein Bars are really good, NO sugar alcohols, and 19 g fiber. But you can only get them online.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong/bad/good about sugar alcohols? Just wondering
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I saw these in the store yesterday, the name caught my eye. I was shocked when I read the calories and ingredients. They need to change the name to "Think Thin but Eat These and It Ain't Gonna Happen Bars!"

I rarely eat bars as a replacement for meals, but do snack a lot on 90-100 calorie bars. I treat them like a treat, not a meal. The have enough nutrition that I feel better for eating these than a straight out candy bar at 320 calories. :flowerforyou:

Sláinte
  • missycmckee
    Options
    which protein bars are good for you
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Some flavours of Larabars are very delicious and only contain nuts and fruit mostly. I use to eat them religiously but got sick of them. lol.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I only eat them on days I work out and need the extra protein
  • Robide
    Robide Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a protein bar about an hour before a gym session, as they give me the protein and carb boost I need to do a 30 min run and then weights. My view is they are fuel for excercise, I would rarely just eat one as a snack - that's what fruit is for!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone ilm going to give them up - they do not make me feel good, i don't know why i have continued with them for so long despite having a very much 'wholefoods mentality' these are the one things i didn't keep to that motto!!!

THANKS!