IBS

Options
I joined MFP because of severe IBS issues. I'm hoping to find some resolution, since every medical test I take comes up negative, but the condition is now threatening my job and way of life. My goal here was not to lose weight, but to radically change my diet and start exercising more. As a result, the weight is coming off. I'm at my wits end with IBS and am very, very depressed about it - literally fearing the worst. No matter what I do, it has total control over me. I have confided in a few friends, but they either think it's manufactured in my head, or they don't understand the very serious nature of it. I'm very shy, normally - especially on this subject, but if you, too, suffer, I would love to be your shoulder, and you be mine. It's impossible to talk to non-sufferers about it, so I'm living in this little closet, suffering unimaginably, and thinking I'm the only person in the world with the mix of symptoms I have. But I know that's not true. It just feels that way.

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't deal with this myself, but I know there is a group for it so if you search for "IBS" under Groups you'll find it. Good luck!
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning every test is negative so they tell you "you have IBS". It is poorly understood but eating plenty of fiber and drinking water and getting moderate exercise seem to help. Some individuals have improvement of their symptoms with some antidepressants but you should see a gastroenterologist to be absolutely sure nothing has been missed (I had every test CT, MRI, abdominal sonograms, hida scans, plane x-rays, upper endoscopy and a colonoscopy, plus swallowing studies, barium enema ect...) the final diagnosis is IBS,I feel alot better that I have lost weight and that I exercise as much as I do, but the fiber and water help too! I had a good friend who was put on a trial of different antianxiety and antidepression meds and had help with those, but work with your health care provider to find what works the best for you! Good luck!
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as IBS when I was a young adult, as every test imaginable was performed on me to find the cause of the pains in my abdomen and bloody diarreah. Three years later I had a full blown attack of Ulcerative Colitis, and had subsequent surgery to remove the large intestine and rectum. You are not alone in your jouney. There are groups out there for peope who suffer with IBS. Google it and find people who will believe you and are going through the same issues you are.

I agree that a lot of fiber and protein is the way to go eating wise. Stay away from processed and sugery foods. Also, be careful with dairy, that can sometimes cause upset in your system.

Good luck to you, I wish you the best.
  • morgandy
    Options
    I can relate. I once had symptoms so severe, that the first-aiders on my work site rushed me to the hospital thinking that my appendix was bursting. It was that painful! Tests that were run from that particular experience revealed absolutely nothing wrong me. Thankfully, my symptoms are not usually that severe.

There are a few foods that I know for certain aggravate my IBS, such as apples (boo :( ) and really high fat foods. However, the closest I've ever come to eliminating it altogether was when I was experimenting with a Vegan diet for 4 months (perhaps because it's generally a high fiber diet?).

I know it can be pretty frustrating. Perhaps eliminating and re-introducing foods in your diet to see what the worst offenders are could be helpful (assuming you haven't done this already).
  • HeatherFeather10
    Options
    I have IBS and I just started eating Paleo (google it!) and it has helped tremendously!!!
    Now I am not hard core Paleo - I follow the plan about 75%!
    To sum it up Paleo you eat:
    MEAT
    VEGETABLES
    NUTS AND SEEDS
    some FRUIT
    little STARCH
    NO SUGAR

It is very hard a first because your body craves refined sugar, but you will get used to it and the cravings pass.
    I highly recommend trying it.

I was doing really good and thought I would have some McDonalds with my daughter, I was planning on a salad, but the new Angus burger was calling my name - so I caved and had it - my stomach was very angry at me especially since I had been feeding it non-processed foods for the last month. Well it taught me a lesson - eat what nature intended us to eat!!!

Best of luck on this journey!!
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also have IBS, and was very frustrated with it for months before I started playing with my diet. I now eat gluten free and it made a WORLD of difference. It took some time to adjust and get used to (plus learning what brands taste good, etc.) but it was so worth it. Feel free to message me or add me if you'd like! Good luck and hang in there!
  • jpercy1918
    Options
    I'm with you. After many tests; I was told I had IBS. Also turned out I have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth = a breath test can rule this out or confirm). My GI doc is Head of a huge teaching university and believe me, they take IBS SERIOUSLY. It can be very debilitating...I just went on a gluten free diet (I do not have celiac) and it has helped tremendously in just two months. I think I'm going to have to stay away from certain cheeses - and most processed foods have gluten so going gluten free just helps me eat better. good luck.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As a guy who suffers from it, I understand the stigma associated with it. I haven't really been able to find a cure diet wise, but one thing I take medically is I take two Immodium a day when I'm about to go out, and it helps a lot with keeping symptoms under control. My gastro said it was safe for me to take every day, so I use it on days that I am going somewhere where I won't have great bathroom access or where I'll be embarrassed by frequent visits.
  • Joycemom3
    Joycemom3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 43 years old, and when I was a teen my doctors diagnosed me with IBS. I always had many stomach issues. When I was 28 all my symptoms got tremendously worse. I finally went to a good gastroenterologist that did many tests. I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I have been on a gluten free diet since then. All my symptoms are better. Celiac does run in my family, my son has it, and my daughter is being tested for it now. There are blood tests to be done, and if they are elevated, they do an endoscopy. During the endoscopy they take biopsies of the small intestines. If this is not done you do not have a definite diagnosis. Celiac is very manageable. When it is not, there are so many symptoms, malnourishment, loosing weight, gaining weight, tomach problems, rashes, miscarraige, etc...Definately something worth asking about and getting ruled out by your doctor. Good luck.
  • amiller210
    amiller210 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had IBS for 26 years and have had every test imaginable only to find nothing. I cannot leave the house (I work from home) and when I do leave the house, I have to know that I'll be within seconds of a bathroom wherever I go. My family thinks I'm crazy. My kids get mad at me because we can't go on any road trips or any thruway driving. This disease has pretty much ruined my life. I just saw my doctor last month and asked her about putting me on an antibiotic as I've heard that this has helped lower the amount of bacteria in the intestines. She had said that there were no antibiotics that were FDA approved for IBS and there was not enough testing done on any of them to guarantee any kind of relief. My gastroenterologist was no help either as I was just told to try to change my diet.. which I've already done over and over with no positive results.

I saw a commercial on Culturelle and decided to give it a shot... what the heck... I couldn't be any worse off than I am now. It has been amazing. It's just a pill that you take once a day and being a probiotic, it is supposed to balance out your digestive tract. I could feel the difference within the first week. I have been taking one of these pills every day for almost 5 months now and my IBS symptoms are almost gone. I still have the occassional bout here and there but not every day like before. I am so happy I found this--I'm just upset that my primary doc and gastro doc didn't even mention it to me.