needing low calorie sides??

Options
sheresamae
sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
Hi i am used to fixing baked potatos and mashed potatos (with lots of butter of course) with pretty much every meal need some side ideas other than saald and green beans ?? Thanks!!!

Replies

• tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    baked french fries, baked onion rings, brocolli, asparagus, sauteed bellpeppers with shrommies and onion, brussel sprouts..
  • jasonnjamer
    jasonnjamer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I also love mashed potatoes and just to let you know Betty Crocker has a bag of instant mashed potatoes for only 80 calories a serving and it is a pretty large serving. They r really good and depending on what flavor you get most of them u dont even need to put butter over top.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes made with chicken broth instead are pretty darn tasty! :)
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mash a ratio of half sweet potato and half white potato. You can gradually go to full mashed sweet potato.
  • I read this article once about swapping mashed potato for Mashed Cauilflower. They have the same consistancy once mashed, colour and add a little butter and almost exact same flavour. Let me know what you guys think. I have never been a potato person so it never really apealed to me inthe first place. :)
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I read this article once about swapping mashed potato for Mashed Cauilflower. They have the same consistancy once mashed, colour and add a little butter and almost exact same flavour. Let me know what you guys think. I have never been a potato person so it never really apealed to me inthe first place. :)

I make this a lot and have some suggestions. :) No, it's not the same as mashed potatoes. They are thinner in consistency, but they are good. There are a couple of keys to make good mashed cauliflower, though:

1. After you boil the cauliflower, get a ton of paper towels and push the cauliflower down into a strainer to remove extra hidden water. This totally helps with consistency.

2. After adding in some light butter, sour cream, light cheese, or whatever you want and mixing it with an electric mixer, put it in a food processor or blender. It sounds weird, but it breaks down the cauliflower so that it's completely and totally creamy and has no chunks. I'm an avid low carber and have found this to be key when it comes to making good mashed cauliflower!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I went to a particular restaurant for the first time in a LONG time a few weeks ago - somewhere that I would have gotten a huge plate of pasta or burger and fries back before joining MFP - and I tried a few new sides that were REALLY tastey and averaged around 50 cal per serving - roated spaghetti squash, grilled zucchini, and sliced tomatoes with balsamic vinigrette. Yummy! All things I never would have thought to order back before I started on MFP but all things that I truly enjoyed! I didn't miss those fries at all!
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Butternut Squash Soup -- even my kids love it!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite...roasted broccoli!!!!
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thank you everybody cant wait to try these I fixed roasted asparagus tonight it was really good!!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I read this article once about swapping mashed potato for Mashed Cauilflower. They have the same consistancy once mashed, colour and add a little butter and almost exact same flavour. Let me know what you guys think. I have never been a potato person so it never really apealed to me inthe first place. :)

I eat this, I make it with frozen Cauliflower, it tastes amazing.
    Or make patties out of them, then saute them till brown on both sides. Next add reduced fat sour cream and hot salsa on top and a squirt of lime. OMG I am going to make some now!

Enjoy!
  • kellyc3
    Options
    Bump
  • kellyc3
    Options
    Bump
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    steamed or sauteed veggies and a potato (i prefer sweet), or rice
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com for tons of yummy healthy ideas!
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LolaOndine
    Options
    You can take whatever root veggies you have and roast them on high heat with rosemary, red pepper flakes and a drizzle of olive oil. I just had this tonight with sweet potatoes, carrots and celery root. You can also use white potatoes, parsnips...pretty much anything that grows in the ground. This is so good in winter.

I had some boiled carrots last night. I added just a small (1/2 tsp maybe) bit of honey to the water and it made the carrots really sweet.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    any kind of roasted veggies are great. toss in a bit of olive oil, pepper and kosher salt.
  • debbz100
    Options
    Brocolli, cauliflower, corn cobs, wholegrain rice/pasta
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Many grocery stores have frozen vegetables in the frozen food aisle. You can get broccoli, cauliflower, rice, or combos of these, all in cheese sauce, less than 100 calories per serving! On sale, they cost about a dollar! cant beat that!