Big boned/Small boned

Options
13»

Replies

• terra_angelica
    Options
    I am 5'4, with 35 inch hips, size 4 ring, and I weigh 140 after having babies. I use to weigh 113 before I had them. 122 is the perfect (healthy) weight for your height and bone structure. Don't let anyone tell you different, they are just jealous.
  • AmandaJoi25
    Options
    Just had so say (if it hasn't already, didnt read this entire thread). You don't have to be skinny to be anorexic its a disease and its about behavior not weight. I have had friends that were ana and weighed more than me.
  • kimmie5333
    Options
    I think frame has a lot to do with it more so than bone size. I have been told this by both my primary care doctor and my ortho doc while he was looking at x-rays of my leg bones. I have a big frame, I wear a size 12 shoe and even when I used to be VERY thin, I still wore a size 9 ring. I have bery broad shoulders and hips as well so there is more "space" on my frame to fill out. I think that it will contribute to a variance in weight and where someone looks good vs too thin or too heavy, but I don't think that using "big boned" is a good excuse for being over weight. (Which is why I am on here to work on my weight!)
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Look, my hip bones aren't going to shrink! They are a little wider than other people my weight - I'm about 5 foot 2.75 inches and 115 pounds. I'm a little more "pear" shaped than hour-glass. But, these hips bones are staying the same....

If you feel good, eat right and take care of yourself physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually (whatever that means for you...) then have no concerns about other people's feelings.....it reflects more on what they think/feel about themselves than you....
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Personal opinion, bone size matters.

I'm 5'4" and have a 6.75" wrist (big boned).
    My mom is 5'8" and has a 5.25" wrist (small boned).

I look my best at 145 lbs. She looks her best at 135 lbs.

Bones are bones people can do the math on that.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options

I don't trust wrist guidelines cause my wrists have definitely gotten smaller since I lost weight.

When they talk about measuring "wrists", that means measuring over the wrist bone (where the ulna protrudes), rather than simply at the smallest part of your forearm. It shouldn't actually change much at all unless you're bone itself is deteriorating.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Body type absolutely matters. I weight a little under 130 right now, which is considered a very healthy weight or my height (5'4"), but because I have a small body frame, the weight looks much different on me than someone who has a larger one. My goal right now is 120, but someone else would look very thin at 120.

There are all sorts of "ideal body weight" calculators that take body type into consideration because it does matter. The size of your bones may not make a huge difference, but it affects how big the rest of your body is too.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I also agree that bone size matters.

I'm 5'3" and have a wrist that's 6.5" which is concerned a large bone frame (bug boned)

I'm currently 173lbs, and everyone thinks I'm only 150lbs.

I'm aiming to weigh 140lbs, but that might change.

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    There are most certainly different bone structures, and your wrist and ring size sounds teeny! I think I have small wrists, mine are at 6 inches!

If you wanted to weigh 102#, I'd say you were overstretching, but 122 sounds perfectly reasonable at your height, well within the normal range.

Ditto.
  • sarablueskies
    sarablueskies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    interesting, i had always used to say i'm big boned cause it seemed like our whole family was thick even the smaller members, but i just measured my wrist at 5 3/4" and i don't think that's so big?! i do know i'm very broad shouldered and that won't change no matter how small i get!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am big-boned. I am also *not* currently overweight and have never blamed being overweight on my bones.

But the fact is... according to scans my bones are denser and heavier than the average woman. The breadth of my ribcage is larger and more spacious than the average woman of my height (5'9"). My pelvis and shoulders are wider than average, too.

I hate when people say 'big boned' is some kind of fake excuse for being overweight. :-(
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    The size of your bones/frame DEFINITELY makes a difference in your healthy weight range. Here's the chart.
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Scroll down on the page with the chart http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm to see how to measure your bone/frame size. It depends on your height.
  • kimmie5333
    Options
    My Grandma, bless her heart, always referred to my hips as "breeders hips", so I know exactly what you mean!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well I'm about 10 years younger, but I have a small frame too and have a similar weight and height. I have been accused of being anorexic. Mostly be people who are insecure that their own weight is a bit higher than what it should be.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    my sister is 5'5" and weighs 160, and is a size 4/6. She's a gymnast and competitive cheerleader. She is definitely large boned. huge wrists, feet, hands. There is definitely a difference in body shapes and no weight is right for every person. Use the mirror and measuring tape as a guide, not the scale =)
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Apparently I have a large frame size but to be quite honest I don't pay attention to it. I'm just going to carry on losing weight and once I reach my goal and feel I'm still too big, I'll lose more. I think being big or small boned shouldn't significantly affect how you look in general as oppose to factors such as height.

Don't pay attention to what they are saying only you know if your weight loss journey should end here or if you need to carry on further.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Of course if you have a large frame you will look bigger and heavier than a small frame person.
    Usually people are surprise when they know how much I weight since I look smaller than my weight.

It's same principal with muscle. 2 persons with same weight-the one who has more lean muscle mass would look thinner.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    To say you are anorexic at 122lb is ridiculous. It is a perfect weigh for your height. I am only slightly shorter than you and weigh the same, but am not even what you would call "skinny". I am not aiming below 119/120 though, as I am a medium build and have more of an hourglass shape and look too scrawny otherwise.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Family use to tell me it is ok, you are just big boned. Currently I am the size i was in tenth grade of high school, 22 years ago......lol