High Cholesterol

Since my doctor dropped that on me a month ago, I have been following the American Heart Association 2006 Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=851

I have six months to prove I can do it myself, and avoid the pills.

So far, the dieting, exercise, and weight loss have been easier than I expected. I have tried to diet on the strict side, no beef or alcohol, so that I might have a little room to relax in the future.

Has anyone beat the pills by lifestyle changes?
Or trying to?

Replies

• Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Since my doctor dropped that on me a month ago, I have been following the American Heart Association 2006 Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=851

I have six months to prove I can do it myself, and avoid the pills.

So far, the dieting, exercise, and weight loss have been easier than I expected. I have tried to diet on the strict side, no beef or alcohol, so that I might have a little room to relax in the future.

Has anyone beat the pills by lifestyle changes?
    Or trying to?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Thanks, Nevada! Great suggestion.

Vegas? Reno? I just got back from Vegas.....I was a blackjack dealer at Harrah's Tahoe for years.

"Good Luck" is definitely one of my most used phrases. And I still flip my hands over (for the [now not an issue..] security camera whenever I put money away. Habits !! ) :-)

cm
  • Nevada
    cm,
    I am on the coast in San Diego, but I love the big sky "wild parts" of northern Nevada. I get to Laughlin or Vegas once a year to satisfy the gaming itch.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Nevada,
    I was reading that soluble fiber sources are good ways to lower the total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) it is also a good way to help regulate your blood sugar levels.

Things like apples, cranberries, peaches, barley, beets, carrots, lentils, oat bran, oranges and peas.

This info came from the Fiber 35 Diet book my mom has loaned me.

Hope it helps.

Eve
  • Nevada
    Eve,
    I am enjoying the oatmeal and apples. Lucky for me, I like vegetables, too.

I made a pot of black beans. Between that, the oatmeal and apple a day, and other veggies, I get at least the recommended 30g per day of fiber.

The switch from 1% to nonfat milk was easier than I expected.

No more than one piece of chicken or fish a day has kept me well below the 300g cap for cholesterol.

And my dog is happy for the extra walking.
  • mccdl34
    mccdl34 Posts: 43 Member
    Nevada,
    Your story sounds just like mine from a year and a half ago. My total cholesterol was 225. I managed to drop it to 172 by eating less fat and doing a lot of walking. I also lost 25 pounds in the process, which was a nice bonus. I didn't realize until I started using this website just how good I've become at eating lowfat. I've had a couple of days with only 23 grams of fat each day. And believe me, I'm not starving myself. In fact, thanks to this website I've found out I'm still taking in too many calories.
  • zman
    zman Posts: 2
    I routinely take in less than 50mg of cholesterol a day on my nutrition plan. It can be done. My overall cholesterol at last check was 163. I'm working on dropping it even further and gaining on my hdl/ldl ratio. Here is a typical day:

Col: Calories, Fat, Chol, Sodium

Bananas - Raw, 2 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) 210 1 0 2

Lunch
    Skippy's - natural creamy peanut butter, 2 tbsp 180 4 0 150
    Hunt's - vanilla pudding, 1 cup 120 4 0 135
    Cascadian - organic strawberry fruit spread, 1 tbsp 40 0 0 0
    Carrots - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 52 0 0 88
    Del Monte - diced peaches, 1 cup 70 0 0 10
    Market Pantry - wheat bread, 2 slices 120 2 0 260
    Flat Earth - Veggie crisps, 12 chips 130 5 0 190
    island grove - roasted vidalia onion dressing, 0.25 fl oz 9 1 0 14

Dinner
    Barilla - elbow noodles, 2 oz 200 1 0 0 remove
    Starkist - lightly marinated tuna fillets, 5 oz 120 2 45 430 remove
    Vegetables - Mixed, frozen, unprepared, 0.5 package (10 oz) 91 1 0 67 remove
    Smart Balance - Margarine-like spread, Light Buttery Spread, 1 tablespoon 47 5 0 90

Snacks
    V8 V-Fusion Light Strawberry-Banana - Vegetable and Fruit drink, 8 fl oz 50 0 0 40

Total: 1,439 26 45 1,476
    Your Daily Goal: 2,018 71 280 2,000
    Remaining: 579 45 235 524
    418 calories added from exercise

Good luck to you.
  • Nevada
    That should have read 300mg cap on daily cholesterol above (miligrams, not grams).

Thanks for all the luckin'.

zman, thanks for the menu. Looks satisfying.

On days when I get out for a good walk, like today, one hour, I find I have to keep adding food to dinner, even though I feel full. Need to eat more earlier in the day.
    (My apologies to the hungry dieters.)
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I have high cholesterol that I manage almost totally through exercise. Honestly I still eat eggs - which is one of my most favorite foods in the world - and other foods that have high cholesterol levels such as shrimp. But for me as long as I exercise I keep the cholesterol level in check. I know that isn't the case with most people, but for me right now it works. My doc says that some day that won't work and I will need to make more drastic changes. But I was very close to being put on medication about 4 years ago and since I started running and exercising it has been at or just just slightly above normal, which I can live with. I do also get high fiber almost every day.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Hi Nevada,

In January my dr. told me about my high cholesterol too. A big shocker seeing how I am only 25 - 24 at the time! He wanted to put me on some pills right away because he told me it was probably hereditary and diet and exercise wouldn't help. Well, I am stubburn, and I didn't want to rely on those pills!

After I started counting calories, and exercising I went back for another "check-up"
    My cholesterol went from 252 to 184 in just a few months. It was so great to see the look on his face when he saw how much I dropped - ON MY OWN! The main things I try to stay away from is bacon and eggs - 2 of my favorite foods mind you - but I was eating those A LOT, and I think by not eating them that has been what has helped me the most.

Good luck to you, you can do it! We can do it together!
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    For those who have dropped your cholesterol, I admire you! 2 years ago, my cholesterol was 222. I started eating oatmemal, exercised, and lost weight... and guess what..... IT WENT UP four points! Urgh! I'm supposed to go back for bloodwork in 2 months. hopefully it will drop a bit...
  • Nevada
    I had been waiting for years for a good reason to start living healthy. My doc did it.

Mine is at 245. My doctor is skeptical too. Maybe that is get us pepped up to help ourselves.

I have lost 10 pounds, 20 to go. I feel like I am forming good lifetime habits. Today I shopped at Costco, and only sampled the healthy stuff.

kimford, keep on trying.

Good luck to all.