I keep getting discouraged...

Options
I lose some weight and then end up gaining it right back so usually I end up quitting. What should I do to stop getting that itch to quit? :C

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    scratch it on an exercise bike!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    have you tried to analyze why you get the urge to quit?
    Lack or results?
    Too hard to stick to a diet?
    Don't want to exercise?
    too much work to cook?
    too busy?
    put other before you?
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Believe in yourself. You can do this. Baby steps is the key. Make mini goals and even if you don't reach it, still be happy.
  • Sounds easy enough...
  • naonah
    naonah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First of all, NEVER quit! Even if you don't lose weight, you can learn to eat healthy and that is a good thing for your body, regardless of the impact on your weight. Second, are you sabotaging yourself to make you gain the weight back? Are you logging your food and quantity? If so, do you see a difference from a week that you lose versus a week that you gain? Third, get some exercise in...it helps physically as well as mentally! Lastly, keep logging no matter what. You will start becoming aware of what it is that you're doing, how much or how little you eat, WHAT you eat and when you eat (try tacking your feelings in the food notes too).

This is a lifetime journey. You have to teach ourself new behaviours and stick to them. It doesn't happen over night, and it will always be a challenge to stay healthy even one you reach your goal weight. It's hard to get there and even harder to stay there. Life gets in the way but we just have to learn to have fun and accept a few slip ups. The important thing is that we DON'T quit!
  • @Apazman Well, I guess I am looking forward to results too fast. Eating really isn't a problem for me, usually it's getting me to eat. I just recently graduated highschool and started attending college and got a job so I am getting busier but not so busy that I have no time for things. I just can't seem to find healthy foods for a low budget and excersises that will actually keep me interested.

@AZackery Yeppp babysteps is key! Hopefully I'll just keep hanging on for a few months and get excited when I do get results, or the routines get easier. C:
  • @naonah I guess I'll try harder to stick to it then. Well before I started on this website, I had lost 10 lbs, after I joined I dropped 6 more lbs yet slowly gained it back since I have no control over what my aunt gives me to eat. Usually if I see it looks fatty I'll ask for something else or say I'll eat late and I know that starving is a main reason for my weight to keep rising. And I do some moderate exercises indoors like dancing and running with my dog, I'm still too self-conscious to go outside of the backyard though...
    I'll keep logging then, I really wish this site had more foods though, almost all the foods I eat I have to add in myself or pick out all the ingredients and then get made fun of by my aunt and uncle. ;;
  • J3SSP3NNY
    Options
    Explain to your aunt that you need to eat healthy. I can't see why she wouldn't want to support that and look into making you healthy things. Or take control of your own cooking. I have found many ways to eat healty and cheap.

One way is to cut the meat out of your foods. I am not a huge chicken fan. So if a recipe calls for it I just ditch the chicken. I've saved a good chunk of money right there (and a lot of calories/fat)

Make sure you're eating lots of veggies. They're simple to take for snacks. Baby carrots, cut of green/red/yellow bell peppers (they're sweet and watery :]), cucumber slices, etc.

Frozen fruit is a great snack! Buy a bag of grapes and freeze them. YUM!

Simple things make a difference when they're added up :)
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the friend request. MFP is a great support system and it's nice to have the support of friends. :happy:
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I get discouraged too. We all do. Find an exercise you like and stick with it. I enjoy water aerobics and swimming therefore, I joined the Y. I love it. And, in January they are starting Zumba water aerobics. I am looking forward to it. I have had weight loss surgery and
    I get discouraged too when I gain. I just look at how far I have come and how my life has improved as well as my health since losing
    120 lbs. I was a severe diabetic and now my diabetes has reversed. I was on blood pressure, cholesterol and depression meds. My self esteem was so low and now it is high. I love myself whereas before I didn't. I enjoy MFP as it keeps me acountable. I also enjoy facebook and have lots of friends who support me on there as well. Journaling helps too because I write down everything I eat and then I can go back and look if I had a gain that week and see where
    my weakness is. Take it one day at a time. My best wishes to you. Never, never give up. :):flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion.

Maybe don't weigh yourself. Just track your food and exercise and don't worry about weighing in. Just focus on changing your habits. Then... maybe 3 months from now, just for grins and giggles, you hop on the scale.

You won't know when your weight fluctuated and you will have total progress to motivate you to continue.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion.

Maybe don't weigh yourself. Just track your food and exercise and don't worry about weighing in. Just focus on changing your habits. Then... maybe 3 months from now, just for grins and giggles, you hop on the scale.

You won't know when your weight fluctuated and you will have total progress to motivate you to continue.

I agree! I usually ended up quitting because I had no friends to join with me. But I have a few friends whom I know personally, and even some added on MFP. And I know my mom is starting after the new year. I get so excited when I can post statuses here that I would never post on facebook. You are only a couple years younger than me, and I try to comment a "Yay" or "Congrats" to my friends posts. So if you need a little bit of that, you are more than welcome to add me! Anyone is. :)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! Keep a journal. Hop on MFP. Change your routine.

:flowerforyou:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Sounds easy enough...

its not. quitting is easy. reaching your goals is hard. but if this were easy, then it wouldn't feel as good.

here, read this http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/08/31/is-it-really-worth-it/
    Is it really worth it?

It will require commitment and dedication.

It will require you to say “no” sometimes.

It will require sacrifice.

It won’t be quick.

It won’t be easy.

It won’t be fun all of the time

Your friends will laugh at you for doing things differently.

Your coworkers will gawk and poke fun at your new eating habits.

Your loved ones will call you crazy and ask you to “be normal.”

You will have to change some habits.

You will want to give up.

You will want to go back to bed.

You will want to say “eh, good enough.”

And you will ask yourself: Is it really worth it?

You’re damn right is is.

You will feel great when you set a new record for push ups.

You will let out a rebel yell when doing your first pull up.

You will feel awesome running faster this week than last week.

You will be amazed at how far you’ve come when looking at old pictures.

You will feel good when people ask “have you been working out?”

You will smile when your kids say “I want to be strong like you!”

You will be surprised when people come to you for fitness advice.

You will feel pride when you look at yourself in the mirror.

You will go to sleep knowing that you’re a better person today than you were yesterday.

It is worth it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Make this a lifestyle change vs viewing it as a diet. I feel that a lot of people give up because they are far too restrictive with themselves. For a lot of people (myself included) being too strict with yourself often leads to binge eating. Instead of making this all or nothing - focus on learning about serving sizes, learn about portion control, try and find substitute foods that will calm a craving for something without breaking the calorie bank. It is trial and error. Don't give up.

Perhaps you shouldn't focus so much on the scale. The scale is often deceiving. Everything seems to come out on the scale - from water retention to not enough water. Try measuring yourself instead. Or better yet - go by how your clothes fit.

Good Luck! You can do this!
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I gain encouragement from one main factor in my life:

I've had enough of the person I've tolerated as being.

If you find yourself 'tolerating' yourself, but not truly 'accepting and appreciating' who you are, things need to change!