Weight training..what to do and how

Options
So, I've been working out doing cardio for about a year. I want to incorporate weight training..however, I have NO idea what to do or where to even start.

I have a gym membership that has a circuit weights :smile: in the womens only room..it is also equipped with all the free weights ranging in different pounds.

Where would be a great place to start..I heard when you weight train you continue to burn calories unlike when your done with cardio your done.

I'm wondering how many times a week I should incorporate it..how many reps etc..

Thanks for any info,
Dawn :smile:

Replies

• DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I bought a copy of the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women", and I'm slowing incorporating different exercises into my routine.
    You should lift fairly heavy, there is no point in lifting the 5lb weights. Concentrate on your form, and get that down pat then work to heavier weights.

Grab a copy of the book if you can. It has great information.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I've heard good things about the book that was mentioned.

Have you tried a weights class so you can get your form down before starting on your own? Or maybe a session with a trainer? Might be a good way to kick start your lifting, build some confidence. It can be intimidating walking into the weight room, even for someone like me that is at the gym every day :)
  • Ready4Goal
    Options
    I would first recommend taking a strength training class, if they have them at your gym..but if not just start with your own body without the weight yet..U can do squats,lunges, donkey kick backs, push ups, planks, tons of excersises you can do using your own body as resistance then gradually add weights or even a resistant band...Aim for about 2 days a week and depending on your schedule 15, 30 or even 60 minutes of it...I'd start with about 3 sets of 10-15 reps..

A hope I helped:)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the 5lb comment. Have you ever tried to psuedo punch holding 5lbs? Try it and say that again.

Well I will tell you what I do, I alternate 3-4 days week. I chose upper, lower, upper lower. I usually try to fit 5-8 machines / exercises. 3 sets 10 reps.

Example:

day one, upper body,

Biceps 3 sets 10 reps
    triceps 3 sets 10 reps
    zottman curls (bicep cross) 3 sets 10 reps
    Rotary lats 3 sets 10 reps
    abdomen 3 sets 10 reps
    lower back 3 sets 10 reps

day 2 lower body

leg curls 3 sets 10 reps
    leg extension 3 sets 10 reps
    leg press 3 sets 10 reps
    hip abductions in 3 sets 10 reps
    hip abductions out 3 sets 10 reps

Then I try to incorporate free weights for range of motion. Nautillus machines etc.

There really is no rules per se. Just start out with what your comfortable with. Get a feel of that, then look to finess a scheme.
  • patricia184
    patricia184 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this out there..I've been doing cardio for over a year and now I'm hearing how important it is to do strength training! It's in all the magazines, articles and reports I've been reading. So, I guess I better get started but, like you, I'm intimidated by the weight room and don't know where to start. So, thanks for the good question!
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The "New Rules for Lifting" book is wonderful!!... Also since you already have a gym membership talk to one of the trainers, many offer a free session and they can show you a lot in that one session.