Maintenance Question!

Options
My daily caloric intake is currently set at 1200 calories, which is fine for now, but is it okay to raise my caloric intake to 1500 when I reach my goal? Or will I just gain weight again?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    you may gain some weight initially but it will just be water weight. 1500 seems kinda low for maintenance. how did you calculate that?
  • lsnowden1
    lsnowden1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I didn't calculate it. I was just sort of hoping I could eventually raise it because 1200 is getting hard, lol.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    1200 seems low as well. what is your current loss per week goal?

as you get closer to your goal weight, you should be cutting that "loss per week" little by little. when you're at say, 10-5 pounds to go, you can go to :lose 0.5 pounds per week:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You should not gain weight on 1500 calories a day. :smile:
  • lsnowden1
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I set this up a while ago and didn't realize you could change it! Right now I have it set at sedentary (because I have a desk job) and a goal of losing 2 lbs. per week.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't it depend on what her TDEE is? Whats your current height / weight?
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I set this up a while ago and didn't realize you could change it! Right now I have it set at sedentary (because I have a desk job) and a goal of losing 2 lbs. per week.

yeah, if you are REALLY sedentary, then leave it at that, but change the loss per week to 1pound, especially if you are new. ease yourself into the whole calorie counting thing. it can be tough at first.
  • lsnowden1
    Options
    My height is 5'8" and I weighed in at 143 this morning.. not sure if it's accurate, though.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE is roughly 1750 calories / day. Where you are at 1200 puts you at approximately 1lb loss per week. At 1500 you would still be at a weight loss.
  • lsnowden1
    Options
    Your TDEE is roughly 1750 calories / day. Where you are at 1200 puts you at approximately 1lb loss per week. At 1500 you would still be at a weight loss.

Awesome! Good info to know!
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My height is 5'8" and I weighed in at 143 this morning.. not sure if it's accurate, though.

If you're 5'8'' and 143 pounds then you should be at a healthy weight right now and should probably be eating more than 1200 a day..
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Possibly even closer to 2000.

So basically, don't sweat the increase in cals.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

Possibly even closer to 2000.

So basically, don't sweat the increase in cals.

Yes. I was going to say 2000 too. Eat up!