hungry, often right after meal

Options
Lately I have been feeling really hungry a lot, even soon after I eat a meal. Not a tiny one, a normal, relatively balanced ~400 cal meal. It is getting very frustrating and causes me to get a little snack, then another... and mess up an ok day. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I look forward to seeing the responses to this one because I am in the same boat as you right now! Lately I am hungry and I have even upped my calories!
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours, because SO many people said this will prevent you from being hungry... WRONG! More hungry than ever. I will eat, then I will get a rush of feeling EXTREMELY hungry! It sucks!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Some people say wait 20 minutes and you won't be hungry anymore. But I say if my meals averaged only 400 calories, I'd be hungry all the time, too! I'd rather eat a couple of large meals, or even three, and then work out so I can stay within my daily limit.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I chew mint gum after every meal. So that way I can't go back and snack since I have my mouth full :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Eating for satiety is very important if you always feel hungry and it stops you sticking to your goals. Lean high protein foods are satiating, as are fruit and veggies, and porridge. Generally, the lower the caloric density of the food and the higher the amount of protein (and sometimes fat), the more satiating the food. Google satiety and see what you find...
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you are new to eating less it just takes time. But also I just read an interesting book that said the nutritional content and not calories has a lot to do with whether or not we feel satisfied after eating. It makes sense to me as I was always starving after a high calorie/fat McDonalds burger and fries. Also eating fiber such as whole grains. I am working on eating more fresh fruits and veggies and even raw if possible. The calories are pretty low for those things considering the actual amount you get to eat.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of suggestions... First, are you drinking plenty of water? Our bodies often confuse thirst and hunger.

Second, could it be that you're experiencing stomach upset and not hunger? I find that if I eat a meal and I am hungry shortly after, it's usually an upset stomach and taking a couple of Tums or some Pepto could help. Also, if you've recently increased your fiber intake, your body's response to dealing with all of that extra fiber can cause feelings like hunger.

If neither of these apply, then I'd suggest either trying 6 small meals per day, or 3 fairly large meals, depending on your preference. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein, because if you don't offset fibrous veggies with a good helping of protein (and whole grains), you'll probably end up hungry very shortly after!

Best of luck to you - it's terrible to feel frustrated by hunger all the time. :(
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My best suggestion would be up your water intake, and exercise so you can have those snacks without messing anything up. Also, I have been planning my meals the night before (generally, small things change) and it's helped mentally so I know what I am going to eat. It seems to help me a lot. Granted, my snack time pre-lifestyle change, usually gives me some problems with wanting to go back to snacking. Instead of doing that, I grab some sugar free bubble gum, or drink more water. And I also read somewhere that if you're craving a snack, tighten a muscle, and your body forgets. I haven't tried this yet, but it's worth a shot!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    No more then 30 carbs per meal helps me. When I eat too many carbs at one sitting I am starving.
    I eat smaller meals 5 times a day and keep daily carbs around 150.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Also, another thing I heard, be sure you're not distracted when eating. Eat at the table, no television, no distractions. That way you're concentrated on your meal instead of something else, and then you realize your food is gone, but the void in your tummy doesn't feel reduced. I hope these help!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    yep, i actually have that happen a lot. I just drink a lot of water and wait about 30 minutes. If i'm still hungry then choose something that is nutritious to eat until it stops.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Drinking a cup of coffee (decaff for me) right after the meal helps me. Tea works well too. I find if I have a hot beverage, I have to slow down and sip it. The warmth is comforting and by the time I finish it, I feel fuller-- perhaps from the liquid. Often I'll try to do this at restaurants when I start wanting dessert.