Is 1200 really enough?

Options
Dexy_
Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
I am 75kgs, 160cm tall and 18. I am fairly inactive if I don't intentionally exercise. Is 1200 cals a day enough for me?

Replies

• alexbowser
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to talk to your doctor. I was never able to only eat 1200. I personally can't eat below 1400 on a daily basis.
    Options
    hi there, your about the same hight/age as me, and i am living on a bit less then 1200. But 1200 is a good amount to start with, it is the minimum. For weightloss, if you ate more without exercise and being inactive you would probably gain. Ive loss about 11kgs so far, without exercise on around 800-1100 calories a day.

hope this helps,
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    have you ever calculated your bmr? basal metabolic rate. its different for everyone. it's the calories you take in to maintain your body weight. that minus 500 is how mfp calculated your calories. if I'm not mistaken, I mean. anything you eat under your personal bmr will allow you to lose weight - just more slowly. you can find lots of bmr calculators on line. personally, 1200 was way too few for me. I increased my setting in mfp to 1500. I'm losing about a half pound a week.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :noway: if you are inactive and only consuming 1200 calories a day, you have to be sure that they are all nutrition dense to be sure you are getting all the nutrition your body needs.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    1st, mangledspoon, that's inappropriate. You don't know someone else situation, to say they have an eating disorder because of their calorie intake is wrong. Maybe they have a reason, maybe they don't but that's not for you to determine.

second, a doctor is NOT who you should be asking about your calorie intake, you should seek out the help of a registered dietitian, doctors don't generally receive much in the way of nutrition training, and unless your doctor has taken specific add-on courses, then he/she isn't the one to ask. At a minimum vet your doctor to see whether they have additional nutrition training, if they say no, then move along. Dietitians (note I said dietitian, not nutritionist, they are NOT equivalent, a dietitian can be a nutritionist, but unless that nutritionist has gone to college, then they can't be a dietitian) have gone to a 4 year accredited college for nutrition training and are prepared to help, doctors haven't.

third, Dexy_ to answer your original question, we can't really tell you. I can give you estimates based on your numbers, but then it's up to you. you're 18, female, 75 kg (or about 160 lbs) and 160 cm tall (or about 5'3"), thus very VERY rough estimate of your maintenance calories (assuming lightly active) is probably around 1900 to 2000 or somewhere around there, 1200 calories is a big deficit for you. Assuming you are in the average as far as body fat % goes for your weight and height, you should be eating probably somewhere between 1300 and 1500 calories to lose about 1 to 1.25 lbs a week (I.E. about 1/2 kg per week or so). You can go with a smaller deficit to make it easier to maintain, but going bigger will probably cause more problems than it's worth. Again, I'm just making educated guesses here based on VERY limited information. I could be way off, I just can't tell with the info given.

feel free to PM me if you need any more in depth assistance.

-Banks
  • fatpanda96
    Options
    If you are inactive and eating 1200 than that might work for you. Just to be sure though you should calculate your BMR or talk to your doctor.
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    response disorder...!
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Its what I have done and its pretty tough to start, but you can eat veggies and cut down on the calories. Its pretty successful but you have to research the foods you can eat. My food dairy viewable if you want to look at what I eat.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    have you ever calculated your bmr? basal metabolic rate. its different for everyone. it's the calories you take in to maintain your body weight. that minus 500 is how mfp calculated your calories. if I'm not mistaken, I mean. anything you eat under your personal bmr will allow you to lose weight - just more slowly. you can find lots of bmr calculators on line. personally, 1200 was way too few for me. I increased my setting in mfp to 1500. I'm losing about a half pound a week.

MFP doesn't figure your deficit off your BMR. It figures your deficit off your TDEE. TDEE is your BMR multiplied by your activity level.

My BMR is 1338. My TDEE is around 2449. My deficit would be taken off the 2449, NOT off the 1338. The 1338 is the amount of calories my body needs just to survive. You don't want to take the deficit off the basic number of calories your body needs.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's sustainable for most people. I recently increased my intake to 1500. Even though I'm short, have a small frame, and fall within the "normal" range, I don't want to eat 1200 calories and plateau and stunt my metabolism.
  • Soulchild27
    Soulchild27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing and wondering if I need to be eating more then 1200 calories as I have read and heard the amount of calories should be based on the ideal weight you want to be which for example 1200=120lbs. or 1300=130lbs. When I did a calorie count using another website my calories came up as 1430 calories to lose the 40lbs. I needed. My height is 5'0 and I am 171lbs. and very active.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    After I'd lost some weight, MFP put me at 1200 and I went into a plateau within a couple weeks. I needed to increase my food intake to around 1300 to start losing again. You need to remember that 1200 is average, and everyone is different. See if it works for you and, if not, increase upward 50 - 100 cals at a time until you find what works for you. It's worth the time it takes.
  • springfield5780
    Options
    I have read and heard the amount of calories should be based on the ideal weight you want to be which for example 1200=120lbs. or 1300=130lbs.

I heard the same thing the other day! It was the first time I had ever heard it before....Interesting and right now I am eating along those same lines! I just follow what is suggested for me by MFP until I go to the dietitian on the 15th
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    Honestly? This isn't something we can tell you. For me, there's NO WAY I could function on 1200 calories a day. No way. No how. I would be literally starving to death. I see other people on here who've seen success on 1200 calories. Our bodies are all just a little different and so what works for one, may or may not work for another.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing and wondering if I need to be eating more then 1200 calories as I have read and heard the amount of calories should be based on the ideal weight you want to be which for example 1200=120lbs. or 1300=130lbs. When I did a calorie count using another website my calories came up as 1430 calories to lose the 40lbs. I needed. My height is 5'0 and I am 171lbs. and very active.

I weigh 145lbs and there's NOW WAY I could function on 1450 calories a day. I'm currently maintaining while consuming 2300-2500 NET calories a day. When I was actively losing, I was averaging between 2100-2200 net calories a day. My body would flip out if I cut it down to 1450.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this this morning, love the way every time I am thinking about some issue a thread comes up on MFP! I think it is quite hard. Also think you shouldn't try to lose weight in an inactive way, you still need to build muscle tone. Otherwise you will end up being skinny fat. You should definitely take up a regular form of exercise 3-4 times a week at least and buy a HRM and eat all your calories. Otherwise you will feel really deprived long term.
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    I'm 5'00, 65 kg, sedentary (workout aside) and I'm also supposed to eat 1200 calories according to this site, in order to drop to 50 kg. It's my second day, but I'm finding it really hard. However, I'm petite, and I wonder if it's just that I haven't learnt how to maximize my calories.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It is hard. I tried it and I almost never got in under calorie goal. I also felt like crap after about a month of it.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Like people have been saying, it's up to you to figure out. If you want to try, make sure to maximize protein and fiber to help stay feeling full. Also, veggies are a great substitue for anything if you are trying to lower calories. All I have to say is, "Good luck", because I can't handle that little food for more than a day.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's too much for me...I don't lose weight unless I eat around 1100