Help! What did you do to lose the weight?

Options
Hi everyone. I have been trying all kinds of things to lose weight and I'm only having minimal success. currently i'm eating about 1200 to 1400 cals a day and working out 6 days a week burning 1200 cals a workout. in 2 months i've only lost 5lbs. those of you having success, please tell us what u are doing to lose the weight. Thanks all for your time.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories PER WORKOUT??? I'd say up your calories to eat, stat!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I followed the plan here and exercised! Be patient and diligent, it may take longer than you want but it will be worth it. And check out this thread, it just might be what you need!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/408674-the-olivia-method-the-cool-new-way-to-set-up-your-mfp-go
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Don't have cheat days )one meal a week if you need it) and stay on track on the weekends if you're not already :) Good luck I am in the same exact boat... this is from watching some losers on here....
    also don't go by the scale go by a weight loss string. Get some string measure it around the biggest portion of your belly and watch it get smaller.. With those workouts I'm sure it's getting smaller.
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    thanks yall! more comments please!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Follow MFP. That's really all there is to it.

BTW, if you're only eating 1200 calories and then burning 1200 calories in a day, you are essentially not feeding your body at all. You use up all that energy in your workout, and there's nothing left to live on! If I was your body, I wouldn't want to lose weight, I'd be scared and try to save all the energy I can.

You have to eat to lose weight. Log your exercise calories and eat them back. MFP is set up to work that way. Trust me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I eat a pretty constant amount of calories with only a moderate calorie deficit.
    I (try!) to change unhealthy snacks (like cupcakes) for healthy snacks (like almonds or fruit).
    I exercise 5 or 6 times a week, usually I burn 200 - 600 cals/day.
    I eat more on the days that I exercise (yes, I eat my exercise calories - most of them, anyway).
    I keep doing this, every day (325 days so far)
    I make terrible food choice and eat complete rubbish, or eat too much sometimes. I know it's not a good idea, but it happens.
    I don't give up and walk away just because I made bad choices for a day or two.

In summary - eat well, exercise moderately, repeat for the rest of your life.
    Sounds boring but it works!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I will bet anything if you start eating back at least 3/4 of the calories you burn working out you will start to lose weight.
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Be sure that you are adding in your exercise with your calorie intake. MFP will let you know the rest.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am losing a pretty steady 1-2 lb per week, over 55 lb in 9 months. I don't really exercise much, it was all diet change. My doc did a metabolism test & then recommended that I limit my carbs to fewer than 25 per day, eat at least every three hours, and eat at least my body weight in protein per day. So when I started, at 300 lb, I was eating at least 50g protein at every meal & snacktime, 6 times per day. This may not work for everyone, but it's been wonderful for me. Cured my depression and mood swings, too.

If you have questions feel free to shoot me a message. Good luck to you!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you r starving ya body you will have to eat more to lose weight...
  • galafassi15
    Options
    You need to be eating back some of those calories (at least half)! Not doing so once or twice a week is one thing, but most of the time is not okay - there's nothing fueling your body. Also, try new work outs... make sure every day of the week is different or that your workout is different every two weeks, otherwise your body will just get used to whatever it is you're doing.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    There was no secret to how I got healthy - I just ate nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drank lots of water, and moved my body. Here are some of the tips I give people when they ask for my advice based on what worked for me:

1) The quality of your calories - whether 1200 or 2000 - really does matter, not only in how it impacts weight loss, but how it impacts your overall health. Filling your body with NUTRITIOUS foods is just as important (if not more so) than just staying within your calorie goals.

2) Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and do that until you build the habit of exercising because you are less likely to skip working out if it is something you enjoy. Then start incorporating new things - you not only will work new muscles, but you may find new things you enjoy.

3) Eliminate temptation. If you are an emotional eater, don't keep junk food around. If it isn't available, you're less likely to binge on it.

4) Indulge cravings... sensibly. If you are dying for chocolate, have some, BUT... try to find the healthiest option (for example, one small square of dark chocolate, or make some hot cocoa with some milk or almond milk, cocoa powder, and stevia, which is a natural no-calorie sweetener) and keep the portion small. If you completely deprive yourself, you're going to binge. If you are sensible about things, you won't feel deprived.

5) Drink lots of water. It helps in so many areas. Yes, it does help with weight loss, but it also helps your body function better, flushes out excess sodium, keeps you feeling full longer, and the list goes on and on.

6) Don't skip meals! Eat breakfast in the morning to fuel your body and get your metabolism going. Have a mid morning snack (fruit or nuts are good, or maybe some yogurt). Have a sensible lunch. Have a mid-afternoon snack (I am a huge fan of baby carrots and will eat several servings a day - they are so crunchy that they are really satisfying). Eat a nutritious dinner in a sensible portion. Don't go for seconds. Have a glass of water before and after and then wait 20 minutes after you are done eating. If you are still hungry, have a piece of fruit or some extra veggies.

7) Don't give up! If you stumble or mess up one meal, one day, or even for a whole week, just start over.

8) Listen to MFP. If it gives you a calorie goal that is a lot higher than other people's - LET IT! A heavier body requires more calories to function and MFP will give you the deficit you need to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner (not more than 2 lbs/week). Don't try to eat 1200 calories if MFP recommends more (including at least a decent chunk of your exercise calories) unless specifically advised (and monitored) by a doctor. That isn't enough for most people and you can't get adequate nutrition on it.

9) This is the motto I go by:
    EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bump for Cory's advice.....will look at later...
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I ate less and moved more.....
  • jamszy
    jamszy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just a few off the top of my head:

[I just saw Cory's advice after I posted, so this may be doubling up]

1. Diet - The foundation of weight loss. You can eat pizza and candy bars and stay below calories, but you can eat much more fulfilling foods that are good for you. Clean or natural eating can help speed this process along. Someone once said "Abs are made in the kitchen."

2. Exercise - Each time I go to the gym I make an effort to push myself to my limits. If I'm not drowing in sweat, I'm not working hard enough. HIIT is a popular technique I've used and seen great results. Work hard/take break, repeat process. Most machines have this function built in where the incline or intensity increases with a break after the interval.

3. Water - Drink half your body weight in ounces. You will be going to the bathroom quite a bit, but if you eat a lot of sodium this can help balance out your body.

4. Sleep - Get adequate sleep. It's 8 hours for me, or how many it is for you to feel normal and function properly.

5. Rest - Listen to your body. If you push yourself too hard and eat too little, it can put your body into Starvation Mode in which NO weight comes off. If you are sick, the general rule is if it's above your shoulders (head cold) it's okay to work out if you want, but for anything below (flu, aches), it's okay to take time off. Your body may need the extra rest.

6. Motivation - MFP, shows like "Biggest Loser" and your own personal goals can drive you towards success.

Lastly, good luck to you! It continues to make more sense as it becomes a lifestyle change. If you do the homework and continue to learn, success is achievable!
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    want to read but need to sleep.
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    want to read but need to sleep.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Looks like you may have just started your weight loss journey. Don't get frustrated. It seems like you might be eating too little. You may need to zigzag your calories - eat more for a few days, then eat less for a few days. That may shock your body into working again. I've been on a plateau for a few weeks, which is frustrating. I'm starting the Olivia method and increasing my calories. I think someone in the thread already mentioned that. Just don't give up.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I eat 1470 cals a day or close to that before exercise. I probably on work out about 3-4 times a week, burning about 500 a time unless I go swimming. I then make sure after all the exercise I have a net intake of at least my limit. So for example.

Day: 1470 is my daily in take. I have burned 600 cals. I then make sure i have eaten at least 300 of those calories that I burned. If you are not eating your burned cals back then this is probably your problem. Some days I even go over my daily intake.

What height are you, what weight are tiy and what setting are you on? Sedentary, lightly active etc? Also I changed my settings so that it was at 40 percent carbs, 30 protein and 30 fat. My sodium is set to 1500 a day. Changing all these dramatically upped my loss.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    First thing, personally I am not a big fan of 1200 calories diets unless that's your net calories after exercise. I think 1400 is the lowest anyone should go if you don't. Its all about what works for you though.

*I am on a 1700 calorie diet a day. Most times I consume around 1800-2000 because they say to eat your calories back and that leaves me at a smaller net number.

* I exercise 6 days a week and most times I do extra stuff around my apartment on the 7th day. I burn between 800-1200 calories a day. I strength train 6 days a week for about 20-40 minutes a day and do at least an hour of cardio .

* I bought an HRM because the machines and MFP can be way off. It was VERY accurate at the beginning but once my body started getting more fit, it took longer for it to warm up and burn calories. I highly suggest one because you could be burning more then you think or not enough and its the only way to really know.

* I have had to change up my exercise routine several times over the last year because my body got used to it and stopped losing weight.

* I allow myself 1 day a week to go out to dinner and eat whatever I want. Same holds true for a dessert. I think this triggers my metabolism to kickstarting again too.

*I never give up, even if I am having a really bad day. I still get my butt to the gym. I have gone there with puffy eyes, I have gone there with my hair in a bun and looking like I just rolled out of bed, I have gone there on holidays. Just do it, like Nike says :) You'll feel better and if you dont, you will have let yourself down. :(

The best advice I can give to you is find what works for you. You can do this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!