Eating clean(ish) on a budget. HELP!

Options
Okay, I'm interested in cleaning up my diet a bit, whole natural foods and such. I've searched shopping lists on these forums, but just about every one that I find has like 50 different fruits and veggies and meats and all that stuff is expensive! I am a college student working part time at minimum wage, so I can only afford a FRACTION of what some people have on their lists. What I would like is if some of you could give me an idea of what your ABSOLUTE ESSENTIALS are, things that I can snack on, take to work/school, and/or make meals with (I'm not much of a cook- I'm really new to it and don't know what I'm doing at all!). Any advice is really appreciated!

Replies

• jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Please?
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hmm - see if there's an ethnic market in your town. They tend to have better prices, sometimes MUCH better prices - on produce, meats, whole foods. Eat in-season produce, or stuff that's on sale. Or sometimes you can find grocery stores or farmer's markets that have a discount table - produce that you have to eat right away because it's fully ripe, but it's fine as long as you eat it then.

Cheap, nutritious thrills that come to mind are oatmeal instead of cereal, big bags of frozen chicken breasts instead of fresh (to me they're just as good). Frozen veggies are good, and can be found pretty cheaply at discount grocery stores. You can get fruits and veggies in-season at a farmer's market, and freeze them so you have them year-round - that saved me a lot of money on peaches. Popcorn is much cheaper bought as kernels and microwaved in a plain brown bag, than bought in the usual prepackaged bags.

Add: Pinto beans (bought dried) are a great cheap thrill too. Make a big batch with onions and you can eat on that for weeks.

Another add: I also like making split peas (dried), and adding chicken, curry powder, and a little cayenne pepper. Good dish, and cheap. French onion soup is great, easy to make, filling. Sautee 2 big yellow onions in olive oil til they're sweet, then add 4 cans beef broth. Season with Italian seasoning and pepper, eat it with bread/cheese if you want to.

Edit: Biggest advice - keep searching, don't compromise! I think there are ways of eating healthy on a budget, not eating pasta all the time. It unfortunately takes some creativity, but keep at it, you're on the right track!

Good luck!! :)
  • gem_angel
    Options
    for some ideas i would say large bags of frozen veggies so you can take out what you need at meal time and steam it in the microwave. brown rice is cheap and you can make a lot with a little bag. you can make black beans in a crock pot or on the stove top and it makes a lot and freezes well. oatmeal or steel cut oats for breakfast can be sweetened with honey or agave nectar. oh, and eggs are cheap and full of protein. hope others have more ideas for you...
  • heykatieben
    Options
    As far as greens, buy them separately in bundles, not in a plastic bagged salad mix. If you don't have an ethnic market, Wal Mart (I hate to say it) has the best deals on produce - and pretty much everything else, too - and you surely have one of those. :)
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter of the grocery store and buy non-processed foods that is ON SALE! If you can afford the organic, great. If you can't, just taking out the processed food is a great start. Local in-season produce is usually a good buy. This time of year apples, citrus, lettuce greens, beets, turnips, and swiss chard are plentiful. Eggs are usually an inexpensive source of protein - even the pricier cage-free organic are pretty reasonable on a per meal basis. Do the best you can and don't sweat the details.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Trader Joe's can be cheap for packaged things - frozen entrees, grains, etc - though they're expensive for most produce.

Another idea... a friend of mine on a raw diet and a budget shops at several different grocery stores. He's scoped out exactly what's cheapest at which stores.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen. That usually saves alot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • heykatieben
    Options
    I'd try Craigslist for produce from farmers, also - and people are always giving away food they didn't like or aren't going to use, if that doesn't sketch you out.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Oh man, so many ideas...

I drink tea every day, for the antioxidants, and because it helps me feel full. On a budget, I'd probably get a big box of store-brand tea - they sell the black tea, like Liptons, in pretty big boxes - and drink it hot.

I bet there are good food hacking sites out there with other good ideas. Lifehacker? Hopefully a site more dedicated to this? There should be!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here so far, so I'l just add a few snack ideas:
    - buy fruit that is in season. Strawberries are going to cost a fortune in winter, but apples are probably cheap(er). Check out to see what is on special each week and buy a few of those, leave the others until they come in season or the price drops.
    - buy almonds in bulk and package them into little snack sized packs yourself. You don't need a lot for a snack so although they look pretty pricey they last a long time (I eat about 10 almonds at a time and that is enough for a snack).
    - that goes for just about anything, individual servings are much more expensive. Yoghurt for example - buy plain natural yoghurt in a big tub and just serve out a little bit each day.
    - veggies in season make good snacks too. Buy whatever is cheap and either eat them raw (carrots, celery) or lightly steamed (broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato).
    - a can of chickpeas or bean blended up with a bit of lemon juice, a dash of oil and chilli powder (if you like it) is a great dip, and cheap as chips. Maybe give the chips a miss though, and eat it with veggies instead!
  • MrsDundas87
    Options
    Great post we are also on a tight budget and trying to eat healthily the week before payday is impossible. I buy mince in bulk and freeze individual portions made up with carrots, onion and gravy. Last night my kids had that with pasta. AS someone else said, eggs are cheap and healthy as long as they are not fried. When my eldest was a baby I used to buy frozen chicken pieces and veg, steam in microwave for 3 mins and then add to an omlette.

I am going to bump this thread as I am looking for high cal, low budget healthy snacks? I am below my calorie count on a daily basis, feel full after each meal but between meals I get really hungry! Any ideas? I dont like almonds or avocados which I know are high cal but healthy.
  • MrsDundas87
    Options
    meant to say as well, if you have a market nearby go and get meat in bulk. I get 16 portions of mince for £10, and 11 chicken breasts for £10. Chicken done under the grill with some reggae reggae sauce spread on it, with homemade coleslaw and corn on the cob is lovely. You can then use any leftover coleslaw for sandwiches, salad or baked potato and cheese the next day.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruites and veggies are just as nutritious. I also buy fruits/veggies that are on sale then plan the rest of what i buy around that. Also a farmers market usually has deals. I usually just grab the essentials; eggs, soy milk, chicken, ground turkey, ect. Then buy everything else based on whats on sale. :3
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    make your own yoghurt bring a pint of milk to the boil and allow to cool to body temp stir in one spoonful of shop bought live yogurt put that in a vacuum flask of an evening and it is ready for the next day then make the next batch using one tablespoon of your home made yoghurt great of toasted oats with some fruit for a delicious dessert or breakfast - add honey if you have a sweet tooth
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    LENTILS (dried in the bag) Most other dried beans need to be soaked.

When I was in college I put up a pot of brown rice, add lentils, and veg. (fresh or frozen) Usually, carrots, onions and something green. Simmer that on the stove for about 20-25 minutes and everything is done.

I also used to get TOFU from the green grocer (till I found out I was allergic) and stir fry up some veg, then add the tofu and some sauce.

In college I lived on Hard boiled EGGS, CARROTS, PEANUTBUTTER, WHOLE WHEAT BREAD and unsweetened ICED TEA
    (okay, there were some ramen noodles in there to, but I can hardly call them "clean" never use the packet that came and always added some veg.)

SWEET POTATOES are one of my new favorites.

I used to take a thinly sliced white potato (might work with sweet too?) drain a 10 oz pack of spinach and slice up some muenster cheese and layer it all and bake for about 30 minutes,. until potato was cooked thru and the cheese brown and bubbly.

Potato + Cheese = a complete protein and spinach is your veg
  • Hi there. Not sure what "cleanish" means... but, there are things on my grocery list that I will “splurge” on, even when I’m “financially embarrassed”. Here is a short list of what I cannot do without, in order of importance. (I’m a low carber, so keep that in mind.)

1) Eggs. A big bang for the buck -- both financially and nutritionally.

2) Picsweet frozen trio of pre-chopped onion, celery & bell pepper. I throw this into virtually everything I cook but it makes omelets, in particular, a snap!

3) Soy milk. A cup of West Soy’s Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk has only 1 net carb per cup. It’s about $3.50 for a half gallon but I dilute mine w/ 50% water, so it turns out to cost about the same as a gallon of cow’s milk.

4) Cheese. I can’t be without cottage cheese, string cheese or slices of swiss cheese.
 Look at the unit price per ounce to figure out which one is the best buy.

5) Raw Almonds. I buy raw almonds in the 2 pound bag. It costs $10 but it will last me an entire month. I eat a few everyday in some way, shape or form.

5) Rotisserie chicken. Less than $5? And I don’t have to cook? Sold! I cube the white meat & freeze it for recipes (turns a $1 boxed rice/pasta side dish into an entree).

6) Greek Yogurt. This stuff has a decent amount of protein & it’s like eating cheesecake. Yeah, it costs a dollar a serving but if I’m splurging for it, it must be worth it. Try Oikos or Chobani.

7) Frozen shrimp. I throw this in canned soup and, like the rotisserie chicken, add it to boxed rice/pasta side dishes, thereby morphing a side dish into an entree. I can get 4 servings out of one $5 bag? Cha-ching!

I enjoyed reading everyone else’s short list of essentials!

/P2P
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    whole grain pasta has come down in price quite a bit
    by fresh fruits and veggies when they go on sale
    same with meats, lean meats like ground turkey, chicken, fish and pork
    I limit myself to red meat and taters 2x a week
    buy low sodium cans of soup when they go on sale
    romaine lettuce is the bomb! its better then head lettuce head lettuce has hardly any nutritional value

drinks - water water water
    or for some flavor great value brand (walmart) carries kinda like a crystal light some of the new flavors are done with stevia
    I drink fat free skim milk myself

its just a matter of getting things on sale and freezing what you can =)

I learned a lot when I dropped 156lbs in 19 months (gained 195lbs when I quit smoking) my doctors and dietitians helped A LOT!

good luck to you =)

watch ur sodium some frozen stuff is laced with it BADLY! that can hurt if your not exercising regularly, I personally stick to 2500mg or less a day =) and treat myself once in awhile to processed/fast food/junk food but I stay away from it most of the time =)
  • along21291
    along21291 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    pasta is a great option, eggs, whole wheat bread, cheap storebrand yogurts, oatmeal, and shredded wheat are my staples. I also get bananas and apples/oranges for fruit and carrots for veggies
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    When I was in my last few years of college (multiple post-grads, so a long college career!) I made a point of going through all the grocery stores nearby just before closing a couple of times a week. Often, things that are just about past their sell-by date will be massively reduced then, especially meat., fruits and vegetables. I then broke down the packs into individual plastic bags and froze them, so that I could use them as needed - the stockpile in my freezer got me through a fair few periods when I was very short of cash.

Almost everything is cheaper if you make it from scratch - rolled oats plus water or milk, a bit of spice and some chopped up dried fruit makes fabulous porridge, a few over-ripe/discounted bananas, some flour, baking powder and an egg or two makes a batch of 10-12 small muffins, which can also be individually wrapped and frozen for snacks, a tin of beans, an onion, a tin of tomatoes and a packet of mince will make 5-6 meals (freeze the spares!) and cost less per serving than five or six individual chilli con carne meals. Tinned chickpeas plus onion, tomatoes, a red pepper and spices, served with cous cous, is a high-protein, low-fat meal that comes in well under £3 for the whole recipe and will make around four servings. Homemade soups freeze well also. There are a lot of published cookbooks aimed at students with budget- as well as health-conscious recipes. Learning to cook will help a lot.

Most things are cheaper per unit if you buy the larger size, though this mainly works for non-perishables... If you can invest in a few large, airtight jars, you can bulk-buy staples like rice, oats etc and keep them for a long time. Also, slice/grate your own cheese - it costs far less than buying pre-sliced. Ditto bread (also freezes well). If there's a two-for-one on something you'll use, and can freeze until needed, buy it - Milk freezes very well, and I imagine yoghurt would too, though I've never actually tried it. The other thing I found is that sometimes, buying something that seems expensive - a roasting joint, for example - can work out very economically once you use the meat for a variety of hot meals, cold for sandwiches etc.

I suspect I'm preaching to the choir, and you probably already know lots of this, but maybe some of these will help. Good luck!
  • hettylair
    hettylair Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you have an ALDI grocery store where you live? Check it out if you do. Just bring your own bags and a quarter for the cart when you go. I have a large family and that grocery store has saved us from going back to cheap processed junk. Great deal on everything and its a world wide company. Much healthier generic foods. Higher in quality than walmart brands ext...