Praying? That doesn't burn calories.

Options

Replies

• weightofyourskin
    Options
    Why don't you stop exercising, start eating 4000 calories a day, but keep praying to lose weight and see where that gets you?
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    I put my faith in myself and myself alone, but glad to hear you've found something that works for you.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    On a side note...

If God gave you free will then its not really free will ^_^ just saying.

Well that lightened the mood a bit :laugh: It's a good point, if god is all knowing and omnipresent then 'free will' isn't really 'free will' because he already knows what we're going to do... an odd gift from the big man :smile:
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This is not a can of worms that needs opening on MFP. Though, considering the intelligentsia have been arguing about it for literally thousands of years, I wouldn't be so quick to think you've cracked it and we should all go home.
  • going2befit
    Options
    We often underestimate God and overestimate ourselves.

I don't want to start anything, but I don't like that sentence. Why give the credit to God for the weight that you lost? It was your hard work and dedication. You deserve all of the credit.

Agreed.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options

This is not a can of worms that needs opening on MFP. Though, considering the intelligentsia have been arguing about it for literally thousands of years, I wouldn't be so quick to think you've cracked it and we should all go home.
    to be fair, she's not the one that opened up the religious "can of worms" and I actually enjoyed her comment. (I am saying her, but I don't know/remember if you quoted a male of female, so hopefully I'm right lol).
  • Rewinds
    Options

;_; Please calm down, I didn't start the religious topic I was just trying to lighten the mood. I don't have a PhD in Philosophy. My apologies.
  • DaisyJane
    DaisyJane Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic. I think the belief in the benefits of prayer s a support/strength giving process is completely different from the idea that God will somehow physically intervene and change the metabolic processes which result in weight loss.

I think the former belief is probably very instrumental in successful weight loss for those with a religious faith. However, in respect to the latter, I believe that if God were to actually manifest here on earth in a tangible physical way, he would have bigger fish to fry than my waist line...

Incidentally the tenets of Free Will are not negated by it being a purported gift from God as has been suggested above. The theory of Free Will is the opposite of the theory of Pre Destination. Because we have Free Will, our future is unwritten and unknown. Omniscience is knowing all there is to know. If the future is unknowable then perhaps God can be both omniscient and the giver of Free Will.

Just a few philosophical thoughts for the morning.... :-)

PS. I thoght I'd better edit to say these are just my little thoughts- I don't claim to be a great philosopher :-) I do, however really want a bacon sandwich so I'd better get off now and eat my cereal before I crack...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options

If God can make the sunrise every morning, and allow for it to set each night - why would we think he couldn't tackle something like weight?

I use to workout ...I even ran track in highschool, and the scale would never budge. I thought it was impossible for ME to lose weight. I prayed one night that Christ would give me a strong frame of mind to lose weight, and my prayers were heard. For the FIRST time the scale started moving.

Everyday is a struggle, but it's worth the fight.

My main purpose for this blog is to encourage you all, and to let you know that God is bigger than all of our problems. We should have a more strengthened faith in his power, in addition to our relationships with him. <3 ..xo...
    So anecdotal. If prayer really worked, then more people should have them POSITIVELY answered. I won't go into how abducted children that were prayed for never returned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    really sad how after giving positive energy forward, some negative came back - please do not reply to my posts with anything less than positive vibes and flows ...if you don't agree, just press the back button, do not waste your time replying..

thanks you ;)

People disagreeing with you isn't "negativity", it's just how the world works. Different strokes for different folks - if you want only like-minded replies, post in a Christian forum.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please note that certain topics that were formerly off-limits in the public forums are now permitted to remain on the boards, though we strongly recommend utilizing the new Group feature if you are concerned about unwanted commentary on your topic. The moderators will do our best to enforce civil conversation in this thread, and we expect all participants in this thread to abide by the guidelines which you can review in their entirety here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Posts made to publicize existing Groups are allowed in ALL cases on the Public Forums.

Please DO NOT report a post that is advertising a group, or that is proceeding politely and without incident.

If you start a new topic on the Public Forums, please use the following guideline as a filter:

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any divisive topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate..

At our discretion, this thread may be moved to a group, locked or deleted at any time..

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of religious people say that prayer totally works. I believe them. It totally works at helping you change your own attitude about things so it can absolutely work at changing your attitude about weight loss and even help suppressing your appetite.

I'm happy for religious people who can gain comfort and strength through prayer. Whatever works for you!

Fortunately for the rest of us, we can gain that same comfort and strength through positive thinking and believing in ourselves.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Amen. 'Not by our strength....... '

I have been 'big' all my life. Since the summer I have made the decision to do something about it. I got myself into the situation. I chose to eat too much. I chose not to exercise. However.... God gave me the strength to keep going, God gave me the strength to maintain my willpower when that chocolate bar was talking to me. God gave me the strength to persevere even when I wanted to give up.

I know not everyone is a believer and that is fine, but for me prayer and faith really worked. I am still on my weight loss journey 98lbs to go. I will have bad days, I will have times when it gets difficult, but with Gods help I know I can do it.

Prayer does work, not always in the ways we expect.

I am working really hard to lose the weight, and I am proud of my achievements so far, but it is through the strength of God that I am achieving this.

I know not everyone will agree with this post. That is fine. But for those who need encouragement, I hope you get it to keep going on your own personal journeys.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    So if God can take it off, did he put it on? Why would he allow that? Nope, you are to blame. Freewill, choices.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in God and i have lost a hell of a lot of weight without his help. If your scale was not budging, you were doing it wrong. Simple. This isn't your blog but a public forum and you will receive negative comment as not everyone in this world believes in God or likes being preached at.
  • Chelsea_Marinos
    Chelsea_Marinos Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think prayer is more for encouragment and humbling yourself... I dont think if you pray God is going to make you lose weight.

I think what she was meaning was prayer for strength and the will to do the task, not dear Lord please melt the pounds away..

It takes work and faith that in the end all your hard work will pay off, It helps motivate someone who believes and trust me its one of the best ways I have found to come out of a slump. Not saying it works for everyone but it does help me. :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yea, don't really think the "HELP! I'm being persecuted!" thing works. Someone who disagrees with your beliefs, but agrees with your sentiment isn't attacking you. Just my two cents.

But yea, I think it's really healthy to be proud of YOURSELF for your hard work, and you shouldn't feel guilty about that. Go ahead and thank whatever god you want, but at the end of the day, you busted your own butt to get there :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

If God can make the sunrise every morning, and allow for it to set each night - why would we think he couldn't tackle something like weight?

I use to workout ...I even ran track in highschool, and the scale would never budge. I thought it was impossible for ME to lose weight. I prayed one night that Christ would give me a strong frame of mind to lose weight, and my prayers were heard. For the FIRST time the scale started moving.

Everyday is a struggle, but it's worth the fight.

My main purpose for this blog is to encourage you all, and to let you know that God is bigger than all of our problems. We should have a more strengthened faith in his power, in addition to our relationships with him. <3 ..xo...
    So anecdotal. If prayer really worked, then more people should have them POSITIVELY answered. I won't go into how abducted children that were prayed for never returned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well he might have been busy helping people lose weight. Anyways there is a christian group this probobly best belongs there
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/28-christians-unite
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Why don't you stop exercising, start eating 4000 calories a day, but keep praying to lose weight and see where that gets you?

Hear hear!

I'm glad that you're managing to lose weight, but it's because you're burning more calories than you're consuming, not because you're praying!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Oh holy lord
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!