What kinda lifestyle do i have?

Options
So im a stay at home mom of 3 boys 5 4 and 2. Im up early and go to bed late:sad: We are really involved with church and are gone 3 evenings outta the week and gone most of the whole weekend. So as far as leaving the house we are go go go family. So i go to the gym mon-fri for 2 hours and i must admit im a cardio junky i burn anywhere from 1200-2000 calories per trip so my workouts are very strenuous but for only 2 hours of the day. But after i leave the gym it pretty much slows down. I dont really sit much at all but im not lifting weights all day. Im doing daily chores such as dishes laundry toilets and so on and so on...So i dont know if my 2 hour workouts puts me at active or if my daily duties slow me down to not active hmmmmmm what do you think

Replies

• EcHoOoOoO
    EcHoOoOoO Posts: 89
    Options
    So im a stay at home mom of 3 boys 5 4 and 2. Im up early and go to bed late:sad: We are really involved with church and are gone 3 evenings outta the week and gone most of the whole weekend. So as far as leaving the house we are go go go family. So i go to the gym mon-fri for 2 hours and i must admit im a cardio junky i burn anywhere from 1200-2000 calories per trip so my workouts are very strenuous but for only 2 hours of the day. But after i leave the gym it pretty much slows down. I dont really sit much at all but im not lifting weights all day. Im doing daily chores such as dishes laundry toilets and so on and so on...So i dont know if my 2 hour workouts puts me at active or if my daily duties slow me down to not active hmmmmmm what do you think
  • angyltears
    Options
    Wow... that's pretty active I'd say! Cleaning and all those chores with that cardio is amazing!
  • EcHoOoOoO
    Options
    Wow... that's pretty active I'd say! Cleaning and all those chores with that cardio is amazing!

Hey thanks alot. sometimes just getting all my boys outta bed and to the table for breakfast wears me out lol. but just wasnt sure if that is really considered active lol.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    you don't count your workouts as part of your lifestyle-- You are basically sedentary
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    you don't count your workouts as part of your lifestyle-- You are basically sedentary

Who told you that?

if that is the case, almost everyone in the world has a sedentary lifestyle.
  • EcHoOoOoO
    Options

Who told you that?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Who told you that?

For the purposes of determining your basic caloric need, you don't count your exercise. Just your regular activity as you have days off of exercise, or change the level/intensity of it. That's why this site adds back your exercise calories (one of many reasons). In this case, I would say probably lightly active would be the best choice for the normal activity level for Echo. :drinker: Then log your exercise!

You seem to make light of doing hard cardio for 2 hours several days a week Echo - don't!! That is great and hard to fit in - good job :drinker:
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    THat just made me tired reading it. :yawn:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, take belly dancing class, go swimming and walk my dogs...but my job is a desk job and I said my lifestyle is sedentary here. Anything activity I do is extra
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i would say you are active... if you are on your feet most of the day (like a nurse/waitress/barista) then how could that possibly be sedentary?!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Who told you that?

For the purposes of determining your basic caloric need, you don't count your exercise. Just your regular activity as you have days off of exercise, or change the level/intensity of it. That's why this site adds back your exercise calories (one of many reasons). In this case, I would say probably lightly active would be the best choice for the normal activity level for Echo. :drinker: Then log your exercise!

You seem to make light of doing hard cardio for 2 hours several days a week Echo - don't!! That is great and hard to fit in - good job :drinker:

Thank you!!!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Who told you that?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

They list jobs for a reason they don't list them saying do you workout 1 day a week or do you workout 6 days a weeks

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    This is the sentence that puts you in the active category:
    So im a stay at home mom of 3 boys 5 4 and 2.

Your workouts are just icing on those three little cupcakes!
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, take belly dancing class, go swimming and walk my dogs...but my job is a desk job and I said my lifestyle is sedentary here. Anything activity I do is extra

I workout and burn 700-1000 calories 5-6 days a week- I have a desk job but I am walking alot of the day up and down stairs throughout the hospital and office and yet I am considered sedentary

I also have always been active in playing with my children or dancing around being silly-- And Yet still sedentary.

There is nothing wrong with being considered sedentary
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I don't know who is telling you guys this..................

The meaning of the word sedentary.
    Sedentary lifestyle is a medical neologism used to denote a type of lifestyle with a lack of physical exercise. It is commonly found in both the developed and developing world and characterized by sitting, reading, watching television and computer use for much of the day with little or no vigorous physical exercise.

Every doctor I have seen has always, always, always told me that

Little or no exercise = sedentary

2-3 times a week exercise = lightly active

4 or more times a week = Actve lifestyle
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I workout and burn 700-1000 calories 5-6 days a week- I have a desk job but I am walking alot of the day up and down stairs throughout the hospital and office and yet I am considered sedentary

I also have always been active in playing with my children or dancing around being silly-- And Yet still sedentary.

That is not a sedentary lifestyle.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    the calorie amounts don't vary enough to justify all this argument.

I'd recommend: set it at lightly active, add in your exercise, eat back most of your exercise calories, and see what happens after 6 weeks.
  • mrsyac2
    Options

That is not a sedentary lifestyle.

To me it doesn't bother me what MFP sets my calories too because I customize my own calories- But since I do spend a nice chunk of my time on my butt at work not including my spirts of walking around I consider that sedentary but thats me to each his own in my opinion if people feel lightly active of active thats their choice especially if they don't know how many calories they should eat
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options

Can I have some of what ever it is you are taking, wow! Just reading your list of to do's made me tired
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know who is telling you guys this..................

The meaning of the word sedentary.
    Sedentary lifestyle is a medical neologism used to denote a type of lifestyle with a lack of physical exercise. It is commonly found in both the developed and developing world and characterized by sitting, reading, watching television and computer use for much of the day with little or no vigorous physical exercise.

Every doctor I have seen has always, always, always told me that

Little or no exercise = sedentary

2-3 times a week exercise = lightly active

4 or more times a week = Actve lifestyle

I see where you're coming from Lean Lioness - but the purpose for the question, I think, I dunno maybe I'm way off base, was for entering in the information for MFP to determine base calories. For that - they have examples listed, and exercise is not included in that particular determination for the purposes of this site setting basic calories. They make up for that by alloting extra calories for the actual exercise a person fits into a day. There is no judgment on general activity level as, say a doctor would consider it. If they looked at her lifestyle obviously with the exercise she gets she would have an active lifestyle - but for the purposes of THIS board and the settings and calculations used here, you would not factor in exercise to the activity level you choose in your settings. :flowerforyou:

Echo - I apologise if I misunderstood the basic reason for your question. I made an assumption that you were wondering if you had chosen the correct setting. :blushing: If you were talking general lifestyle as, say, a doctor would classify it, definately you would be very active. If it was for the purpose of the setting here for caloric determination probably lightly active or moderately active would be right. :flowerforyou: