On Protein

Options
Hi! Most days, I have an over-eating on protein. Like I am 10 points over my limit. The highest being at 12. I do not go over my total calorie limit every single day. But i just noticed that my body crfaves for protein-rich foods. Is the over-eating on protein ok?

Replies

• rochey1098
    Options
    Yep it's not an issue as long as you're getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. I've noticed MFP sets your default protein recommendation quite low anyway but that might just be in my head :laugh:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes. MFP normally puts protein really low... so going over is actually a good thing.

Most people say that for every pound you weigh, that you should eat a gram of protein.
  • kimdatumanong79
    Options
    i really feel that i am not eating that much protein. and i am substituting white rice to whole wheat -- which has more protein. every major meal, i eat around 3 oz (one serving) of white meat. and it's just one tiny serving... 80grams! if i eat two servings, that is my limit for the day... way too low....

sometimes i even have the extra 200-300 calories at night and dont know where to put it...
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I go based on what I read on protein. They recommend 0.36g per pound you weigh. Which for me right now would be 62g of protein, but MFP has it as 58.

Here's the info I read up on.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
  • kimdatumanong79
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    Going over on protein is fine. A good rule to follow is this: Let's say you weigh 150 lbs. That means, you should aim for 50 g of protein a day. 170 lbs= 70 g...etc.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Raising my protein level just broke my 14 week plateau. My calorie goal is about 1550 and my protein goal is 130 g. I have to use protein powder to achieve that...no way I could eat that much protein without it! So, IMO, extra protein is a positive, not a negative!
  • Yes. MFP normally puts protein really low... so going over is actually a good thing.

Most people say that for every pound you weigh, that you should eat a gram of protein.

What she said! :-)
  • kimdatumanong79
    Options
    whew, that made me breathe :-)