Does this sound okay for a super beginner?

Options
Hi,

I've just started working out for the first time since before I started having my kids 6 years ago. I'm about 125 lbs overweight. :-( I started at the gym a couple weeks ago and I have to say that I really do love it. I used to be in better shape (not great, but better) and I forgot how good I feel mentally when I work out. It's a nice break from 2 small kids each day. I met with a trainer and he advised that I do about 40 minutes of walking on the treadmill one day, followed by 20 to 30 minutes the next and then do strength training by working on the various machines those days. He wants me to alternate those days until I get more fit. I feel good when I do these workouts, and like I'm being pushed just enough. I just wanted to see if you agree that this is a good place for a beginner to start. He also recommends I go to the gym most days.

Replies

• moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My son is a fitness trainer... and he agrees! He had me doing the same thing when I first started out.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    To me 40 minutes on the treadmill is too much for a beginner. I started out with 30 minutes, and am ip to 45 minutes. I've been going now about 2 months. Just my opinion....

12117749.png
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you feel okay while doing the workouts, then I would definitely recommend to keep doing them. As much as exercise as possible as long as it doesn't feel like you are overdoing it is always a good thing.
  • shd157
    Options
    To me 40 minutes on the treadmill is too much for a beginner. I started out with 30 minutes, and am ip to 45 minutes. I've been going now about 2 months. Just my opinion....

12117749.png

Thank you all for the replies. I think the reason he has me at 40 minutes on the treadmill to start is because that, although I'm a total novice at the gym, I've been taking daily walks of that length since the summer so doing less would be a bit of a step backwards. I'm really enjoying the gym so far!