Not Seeing Results

Options
I don't want to lose major weight, my goal is just a jeans size or two. I have trouble sticking to an exercise regimen, but I've been working really hard at portion control. I'm on 1500 calories a day. I eat a lot of fiber, including cereal for breakfast and a fiber one bar for lunch with an apple or banana, and then a disciplined square meal for dinner, no second helpings. Any suggestions for how to kick start and stay strong?

Replies

• Toxictwist
    Options
    gotta get that workout routine in there :)
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Why 1500 calories per day? Second Q is you eat cereal for breakfast and a fiber one bar for lunch with an apple or banana. Thats not much, are you eating the remaining calories for dinner? Portion control is fine but you really need to exercise 3 - 4x per week. Even if you just start parking further away from office, take stairs etc..
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I agree with Bamacraft. To me I don't think your eating enough through the day to keep your energy levels up.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Please specify:

What results ARE you seeing and how long have you strictly eaten 1500 calories? (How many weeks)?
  • Tea1672
    Options
    You might want to try increasing your raw veggies and fruits. Especially the veggies. I've been looking at the "Eat to Live" information by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. and I think what he says makes sense. Not saying that I'll do everything he says :-) but I'm doing 1200 calories and though I was hungry the first day I've been fine since. I snack on raw veggies and fruits in between very small meals. At one point I'd lost 4.5 pounds in two weeks (I'm also on the treadmill doing a walk, run a minute or two, walk, etc several times a week if I can) but i keep going up and down a little. But my clothes are beginning to be a little loose! Yay!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    How long have you been at it? How much are you looking to lose? 1500 calories seems a bit high to me, MFP has never had me much over 1400 for a goal of 1 lb/week. You may need to start exercising more to jump start your metabolism (though to be honest, I have lost 41 lbs without exercise).
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Almost impossible to make a suggestion w/o the food diary to examine
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    try the biggest losers last chance workout dvd its amazing and that is what helped me kick start my weight loss its a 6 week program with lots of cardio and its very inexpensive i got it at walmart for about 10 bucks
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you that you need to exercise...but it's an important part of making weight loss work
    Forget that regular exercise tones and firms you, and makes you stronger and heathly
    What's best is that if you exercise you can eat back the caloires that you lose!
    So that means instead of nibbling a 1500 calorie diet, you could potentially add another 600 caloires to that
    And you'll still lose weight AND you'll look great too
  • yummummum
    Options
    This is a controversial subject but I could not lose much weight until after years of trying FINALLY cut out wheat all together and went low carb. Suddenly, I had energy to workout and the pounds have melted off me. I know it is not for every one but for me cutting out grains was huge. I eat huge amounts of veggies and protein and fat now.

Good luck!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    gotta get that workout routine in there :)

this!!!
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs and replace with protein. That is instead of cereal in the morning, better eggs with some sort of meat and a tomato, for ex. Have 1-2 fruits/day, get rid of the bread, rice, pasta, pizza, cereal. Have eggs, meat, fish, greek yogurt, some cheeses. Lots of vegetables, but few fruits (due to their high sugar content).
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Workout workout workout. I repeat, you gotta workout. :) And it doesn't seem like you are eating enough/often. But who knows until we can see your diary!
  • ADoucette416
    Options
    To loose weight you have to eat. It's really that simple. I tried a diet much like yours every time I started diets and whatnot. It didn't work. Then I started researching and educating myself on what to put into my body to get fat off my body. And yes, my biggest results have come from eating correctly and working out. That's me though. Loosing weight is seeing what works and what doesn't work for you and your body. Educate yourself on what to eat and what not to eat. And if you don't have time to go to the gym or don't have the motivation, look into ways to squeeze in a great work out and make them more interesting!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You have to play around. You may not be eating enough during the day and eating to much at night and it is taking longer to digest your dinner. I try to keep my dinner around 500 calories so throughout the day I eat almost 800 calories. Also if you work, walk on your lunch and breaks and that gives you almost 60 minutes are cardio a day. I do that and a 20 minute work out video after dinner and burn over 400 calories a day.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    actually, no, you do not have to workout to see results. you have to create a caloric deficit to burn fat. you can do that through nutrition alone. (side note: exercise does have important benefits as far as cardio health, toning as you're losing, etc...but nutrition is more important for actual weight loss).

beyond telling you this, I can't tell you much more without seeing your food diary. I also don't know if 1,500 calories creates a sufficient deficit for you. I've been in the 1280-1360 range (plus exercise calories) since I joined MFP.

you didn't mention lean protein as part of your diet, and that's SUPER important. and, as for cereal and fiber one bars, they are simply a somewhat better choice amongst processed foods...but they are still processed foods. you can lose weight eating processed foods, but some folks do better once they start cutting out or reducing processed foods, and eating more natural foods.
  • jlowensby
    Options
    you have to eat to lose....your body is probably not getting enough calories to burn the stored fat....and yes a workout routine is good but its 80% diet and 20% exercise......try to get around 300-400 calories per meal depending on your calorie intake for the day..mine is 1240. Also eat every 3-4 hours to keep from getting hungry and drink lots of water!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Cut carbs and replace with protein. That is instead of cereal in the morning, better eggs with some sort of meat and a tomato, for ex. Have 1-2 fruits/day, get rid of the bread, rice, pasta, pizza, cereal. Have eggs, meat, fish, greek yogurt, some cheeses. Lots of vegetables, but few fruits (due to their high sugar content).

I agree with this.....it is what jumpstarted me getting passed a certain point in my wt loss. I eat around 100-110 grams of carbs and 130-140 grams of protein. (1300 calories per day) My diet consist of lots of lean protein, veggies, fruit, potatoes,beans, brown rice, and I supplement with protein shakes after my workout! I cut out all processed/frozen foods, pasta, bread, (except on occasion).

Good Luck, and I agree with everyone else exercise is a must although what you put in your body is going to be the majority of your wt loss.! Not necessarily # of calories but what foods you eat!
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose major weight, my goal is just a jeans size or two. I have trouble sticking to an exercise regimen, but I've been working really hard at portion control.

If your goal is "just a jeans size or two," maybe you could focus on weight training and lose inches from that. It can really restructure your body without getting "bulky."
  • wendyw8
    wendyw8 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Change up your workout routine. I aslo drink a super healthy, all natural drink (18 grams protein) in the morning to start my day. Let me know if you want more info.

I would like more info on that I have a really hard time with breakfast because if I eat what I need to stay full it takes alot of calories and I end up with no energy later in the day!!