Are my calories set too low-help please

Options
I am 48 yrs old, 5'8, weigh 234 lbs, I have my calories set at 1200, my BMR is 1,740 calories a day, and obviously I'm in the obese category as far as my BMI. I walk moderately 2 miles a night, plus try to do at least 30-60 minutes of cardio/strength training a day.
My weight is NOT budging!
I've seen the debates between eating your exercise calories or not eating them, zigzagging, etc. I'm just wondering if I just have my calories set too low for my height to keep losing? I want to lose at LEAST 2 lbs a week if not a little more, but I am stuck in the 230lb range.
I've read the stickies and many posts. I'm hoping someone can just let me know if I need to maybe increase my daily calorie intake? Anyone else close to my height and weight would really be a plus.
Thank you for any help. Good luck on your way to a great bod.

Replies

• sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I would think they're on the low side.

Given your BMR and that 90 or so minutes of exercise a day, you're probably burning around 2500 calories a day all up. Given that, I wouldn't go lower than 1500.

2lb per week may be too aggressive a goal for you.
    You can ease it up to 1 or 1/2 a lb. for a month or two and see what happens.

Losing 1lb a week over 2 months is 8-9 lb. Better than trying for that elusive 2lb and at the end of 2 months still being where you are, right?
  • don_s_bartosik
    don_s_bartosik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just my laymen's thoughts....they're too low, particularly if you're doing that much exercise (kudos to you, btw!). I had good success years ago with Weight Watchers, and they (like the way MFP is designed) suggest 'eating the calories burned' (or at least half of them). So, good luck to you!! P.S. Be sure to drink lots of water :)
  • Knvsmom
    Options
    Thank you much. After exercise I have actually been coming in at 1000 calories or below, not good. I will up my caloric intake and try to keep it closer to that number after exercise. Good luck on your weight loss.