200 calorie meal - does it exist?

tambamis
tambamis Posts: 67 Member
I am really struggling with staying at 1,200 calories a day - its noon and I thought I had done a good job...NOT SO MUCH.
I only have 200 calories left for the day and I know I'm going to be HUNGRY at dinner time.
I've tried to make healthier food choices, but my mind or body (I think mostly my mind) still seems to think it needs more food.
Is there a 200 calorie meal that exists?

Replies

• sure, salad + grilled chicken and VERY low calorie dressing.
  • peacek
    peacek Posts: 211
    Yes a cup of skim milk - 86 cals, a cup of cereal - 130 cals, that equals 216 cals. Not bad ?
  • cpow81
    cpow81 Posts: 114
    Yes. I love 50/50 salad mix (spring and baby lettuce), grape tomatoes, and cukes with light balsamic vinaigrette.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Chicken breast a bunch of broccoli?

Do you have any time for exercise in your day? Because 30 minutes on the elliptical and some weights will give you a lot more wiggle room.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    What have you eaten so far to reach 1000 calories?
    1200 is a very low daily goal. As such, you need to be very careful with planning. There is virtually no room for empty calories on this kind of diet. Every bite you eat needs to count.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    2 egg whites on a whole wheat english muffin- 154 calories; add a cup of broccoli for 30 more calories and a half of a banana for 40 more calories :)
  • You could also do some exercise (even just a half hour walk) and you'll "earn" some extra calories. As a suggestion, try adding your food to your diary before you eat, so you know how many calories it is and you won't end up with a "whoops I ate 800 calories at lunch now what" moment.

Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    McDougal's Baked Chicken Ramen
    McDougal's Tortilla Soup

Is what i usually eat for a light lunch but they definitely fill me up!

You could also have 2 cups of salad mix with some vinegarette and two boiled eggs. (30 for the salad, 60 or less for whatever dressing, 70 cals per egg.)

Or progresso soup?

There are a ton of options. >_<
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Of course... Grilled cheese sandwich..tuna and crackers...lots of veggies with cheese on them...one cup of broccoli is about 40 calories or so, eat some chicken too if you want, oatmeal with a glass of milk, look at my diary if u want.

The question becomes " will 200 calories fill you up?". You may want to go over a little today. Maybe 1200 calories isnt enough for one day for you. I cant do 1200, but i also dont agree with eating your exercise calories, it doesnt work for me either.
  • I am really struggling with staying at 1,200 calories a day - its noon and I thought I had done a good job...NOT SO MUCH.
    I only have 200 calories left for the day and I know I'm going to be HUNGRY at dinner time.
    I've tried to make healthier food choices, but my mind or body (I think mostly my mind) still seems to think it needs more food.

If you are hungry at dinner and only have 200 cals left--you may not be eating enough calories. It's either that or eat more lean protein&fiber to fill you up. (My fitness pal says I am supposed to eat 1200, but I find with the amount I work out I eat 200 calories more and it is better)
  • cutie2b
    cutie2b Posts: 194 Member
    Vegetable soup - http://www.kitchenparade.com/2003/01/low-fat-vegetable-soup.php (73 Calories/cup)

Two cups and a piece of (light) bread or toast, and you'd be right at about 200 calories. And soup because of the water is supposed to be really filling for most people.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Vegetable stir fry with ginger, garlic and chilli. Add in a drop of fish sauce, some miso soup and you got yourself a spicy vege soup. Add in chicken (or prawns or legume) for protein and some raman noodles for carb but this will add the cals up - but not much more than 270 cals per portion.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Maybe you could look through the boards a little more, 1200 calories is super low. I am eating 2200 (including my level of activity--TDEE) each day. Or lose a little less quickly. I am very tall though, so unless you are quite petite, I just don't think 1200 calories is sustainable.

Check out this thread--http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403565-research-behind-eating-more-to-lose-more?hl=eating+more+to+lose+more&page=1#posts-5535354

It will then lead you to more threads on this topic... It's really worth doing a little research in order to keep on the path to losing the weight and keeping the weight off in a healthy and sustainable way.

ETA-- 200 calories is a snack, not a meal. IMO.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Maybe you could look through the boards a little more, 1200 calories is super low. I am eating 2200 (including my level of activity--TDEE) each day. Or lose a little less quickly. I am very tall though, so unless you are quite petite, I just don't think 1200 calories is sustainable.

Check out this thread--http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403565-research-behind-eating-more-to-lose-more?hl=eating+more+to+lose+more&page=1#posts-5535354

It will then lead you to more threads on this topic... It's really worth doing a little research in order to keep on the path to losing the weight and keeping the weight off in a healthy and sustainable way.

ETS-- 200 calories is a snack, not a meal. IMO.

^^ This. Sometimes 300 calories is a snack. Hah!
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Too late for today but maybe you want to think about planning your food for the whole day in the morning. That way you already have it logged and planned so you aren't left with this dilema at the end of the day. I'm on 1200/day also but usually only have an intake of 1000 - 1100 and am not in any way deprived.

My favorite 200 calorie meal: baked sweet potato (seasoned with sea salt, pepper and garlic powder) 1/2 No Name talapia = 185 cal. If you want the whole filet of talapia it's 270 cal. I usually have baked sweet potato (cut in 1" chuncks and baked) at least 3x per week. Love it!!!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    I am really struggling with staying at 1,200 calories a day - its noon and I thought I had done a good job...NOT SO MUCH.

I agree with most of the posters.... just add some exercise to earn more calories. 200 cal dinner plus snack is very limiting. You can do it though!!

Try logging your food before you eat it.. that way you will see how far it puts you toward your daily goal. You can eat half of what you planned and adjust your MFP. Then you always end up with enough calories at the end of the day.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member
    maybe 1200 isnt the right number for you...it sure isnt for me.
  • My daily goal is 1268 and it's very easy for me to stick with it and not be hungry. Some of my meals are 2 tablespoons PB with a banana. Cup of 1% organic milk with a cup of Quaker Oatmeal squares. 2 eggs, 1 slice of low fat swiss cheese, slice of turkey bacon, on a 100 calorie on a 100% whole wheat bread thin thingie. Sometimes I'll have a small nutritional bar, whey protein shake with some organic yogurt and fruit. Grilled chicken breast or grilled chicken drumstick with the skin, vegi and a small portion of brown or wild rice or whole wheat pasta. My calories are typically spread out 4-5 meals. I'm not hungry at the end of the day and never feel like I'm starving.

Maybe you need to recalculate your activity level or just increase your calorie level some.
  • merrick7871
    merrick7871 Posts: 161 Member
    I am on 1200 a day also. I try planning and logging my meals for the entire day in the morning. I leave a couple of hundred calories for snacks and then exercise. Sometimes I may be over in calories when logging my food, but then I know how much more I need to exercise to burn them off.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    To stay at 1200 calories, you need to really plan what you are going to eat. And if you know you are going to go over, then plan a workout that day! By looking at your diary, you need to be very picky on what you eat. You can't afford 102 calories for butter or 200 calories for cheese. Try to find lower calorie items. Your lunch today was 1/2 of your daily calories.

For breakfast I have low cal english muffin with a tad bit of peanut butter and two pieces of turkey bacon = 258 cals.
    For lunch I would eat salads with fat free lunch. Sometimes I will have an individual steamers and a bistro sensations sausage link = 200 calories.

You may be better off by eating more smaller meals. Drink lots of water. It will also fill you up to where you don't feel hungry all the time. Don't starve. If you are that hungry up your cals a bit. But I think overall, being picky about how you spend your calories will help you in the long run!
This discussion has been closed.