Losing Weight Too Fast?!?

Options
I started to try to lose fat about 10 days ago. I am not following any diet pills, Atkins, weight watchers, or any of those things. I am just kind of doing my own thing.

I am exercising ~6 times per week - 5x/week I do weight training, 5x/week I do cardio (treadmill running for anywhere between 1.25-3.0 miles).

I am eating very healthy foods, roughly 1400 calories per day and it has kept me full - for breakfast I have 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 cup of skim milk with 1 scoop isolate whey protein. For lunch I have either a can of tuna with mustard or 6oz greek yogurt along with a fruit and sometimes a 1oz bag of peanuts. For dinner I have been having chicken breast, cottage cheese, salad, applesauce, 95/5 ground beef tacos (with multigrain cakes instead of wraps), veggies, etc.

After workout/before bed, I have been having 1 cup of milk with 1 scoop isolate whey protein again.

The whey I think has really helped me stay full (I am new to using whey) but this plan has kept me around 1400-1600 calories per day minus whatever I burn running for my net calorie intake.

So far, after 9 days, I have lost 8 pounds. This seems kind of impossible to me. So I am wondering, am I just losing a lot of fluid weight? I have heard that happens with some very-low-carb diets but I am not doing that. Sure I am probably not getting as much carbs as I used to and I am getting a LOT of protein, but I am wondering if I am really burning fat or not.

I did have to use a hole in my belt that I haven't used in a while so I believe my waist is shrinking but can I really be losing weight this fast with a combination of eating healthy, weight training, and cardio?

Or am I destined to hit a wall soon? Am I missing something? I am actually starting to get concerned that I might be harming my body but I am not starving myself or anything. Anyone have any inputs on this?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    could be some water weight you are losing....I wouldnt worry yet...give it more time...
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    In my experience, when you first start losing weight and exercising, you lose a lot of weight. Think about it. If you led a sedentary life before and now you're exercising and watching your food intake, that could easily be a 3000+ calorie swing per day. Plus, you're losing a lot of water weight. You weight loss will moderate over time. If you feel good, just stick to your plan.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I started weighing 254 and lost a ton of weight my first month. I was down thirty pounds in two months.
    It's normal to lose quickly, it will slow down. :(
    Mostly water weight and a big drop in your daily caloric intake.
    Great job :)
  • coppercurlz
    Options
    I started to try to lose fat about 10 days ago. I am not following any diet pills, Atkins, weight watchers, or any of those things. I am just kind of doing my own thing.

I am exercising ~6 times per week - 5x/week I do weight training, 5x/week I do cardio (treadmill running for anywhere between 1.25-3.0 miles).

I am eating very healthy foods, roughly 1400 calories per day and it has kept me full - for breakfast I have 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 cup of skim milk with 1 scoop isolate whey protein. For lunch I have either a can of tuna with mustard or 6oz greek yogurt along with a fruit and sometimes a 1oz bag of peanuts. For dinner I have been having chicken breast, cottage cheese, salad, applesauce, 95/5 ground beef tacos (with multigrain cakes instead of wraps), veggies, etc.

After workout/before bed, I have been having 1 cup of milk with 1 scoop isolate whey protein again.

The whey I think has really helped me stay full (I am new to using whey) but this plan has kept me around 1400-1600 calories per day minus whatever I burn running for my net calorie intake.

So far, after 9 days, I have lost 8 pounds. This seems kind of impossible to me. So I am wondering, am I just losing a lot of fluid weight? I have heard that happens with some very-low-carb diets but I am not doing that. Sure I am probably not getting as much carbs as I used to and I am getting a LOT of protein, but I am wondering if I am really burning fat or not.

I did have to use a hole in my belt that I haven't used in a while so I believe my waist is shrinking but can I really be losing weight this fast with a combination of eating healthy, weight training, and cardio?

Or am I destined to hit a wall soon? Am I missing something? I am actually starting to get concerned that I might be harming my body but I am not starving myself or anything. Anyone have any inputs on this?

Any research you do into this topic will tell you that the first 10 to 14 days of any weight loss effort will see the biggest/fastest drop. Especially for someone who has not dieted within the last 90 days. The weight that comes off is mostly water weight. I don't know your gender, I'll assume you are a male, but men carry more visceral fat in their abdomen region and visceral fat is the easiest to lose. One of the reasons why men tone up there quicker than women do around that area. Congrats on the efforts!!! Keep that train going and don't look back! Look at it as a boost for your efforts...motivation to keep going :) Good job!
  • haliesuzy
    haliesuzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It could be initial loss, but one thing you said concerns me, "The whey I think has really helped me stay full (I am new to using whey) but this plan has kept me around 1400-1600 calories per day minus whatever I burn running for my net calorie intake."

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you're consuming only 1400 and burning 500+ working out, that would leave you only 900 calories for maintenance, which is way too low. I would rather see you saying, 1400-1600 PLUS whatever I burn working out. Just disregard this if you're eating back your workout calories, but if you're not, that could be the difference. Eating less than maintenance is dangerous. Much has been said in the forums on this topic, so I won't go further. Good luck to you, and congrats for your determination. With that level of will power, you're going to be a rock star.

Halie
  • overweightmike
    Options
    It could be initial loss, but one thing you said concerns me, "The whey I think has really helped me stay full (I am new to using whey) but this plan has kept me around 1400-1600 calories per day minus whatever I burn running for my net calorie intake."

Are you eating back your exercise calories? If you're consuming only 1400 and burning 500+ working out, that would leave you only 900 calories for maintenance, which is way too low. I would rather see you saying, 1400-1600 PLUS whatever I burn working out. Just disregard this if you're eating back your workout calories, but if you're not, that could be the difference. Eating less than maintenance is dangerous. Much has been said in the forums on this topic, so I won't go further. Good luck to you, and congrats for your determination. With that level of will power, you're going to be a rock star.

Halie

Sorry I could have phrased it better - it's 1400-1500 PLUS eating back the calories I burn with cardio.
  • aquapussy
    Options
    Go by how you feel. If you feel fine, full and have energy, don't worry about it at all. Nearly everyone has a dramatic loss the first week or two of a major diet change especially on low carb.

Doing weights 5x a week is overkill though, with the right program 3x is more than enough. You need to do full body lifts instead of isolated lifts. 5x a week cardio is fine, I have maintained that for 11 months.

How I do it generally is heavy lifts Mon, Wed, Fri (or Sat if I feel lazy on Fri). Light cardio on those days. Heavy cardio on off days.
    I do a bit of intermittent fasting as well and I have no problems usually with exercise. I carbo load though to prevent crashing and burning during fasting.
  • redsdrift
    redsdrift Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are Doing Just Fine keep up the good work. I listened to lots of music it helped me with the first 78 pounds.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!