I need some help with my diet.

Options
I'm trying to get back into being really healthy again after sustaining my weight for almost a year now. I lost about 37 pounds, and I've gained back 4 in the past 2 months due to excessive amounts of unhealthy food in my house. I'm still in high school so I can't really control what my mother buys and doesn't buy or what we eat as a family for dinner. My family supports me being healthy but they don't really want to follow the same diet as me.
Anways, I need some suggestions as to how to follow a diet that's mainly composed of protein and fiber. I've found that I eat too many carbs and sugar, even though I stay around 1200-1400 calories. A lot of my sugar is typically from fruit. But I like to eat granola bars and cereal and such and that is just fuuuull of carbs.

So what are some of your suggestions of things I can eat that are relatively cheap that are healthy, and also low in carbs/sugar? I'm going to start Insanity and I want to make sure my diet corresponds properly to the workout so I can actually lose an optimal amout of weight.

Replies

• hummelen
    hummelen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mezzoforteish
    Options
    Thanks for the bump! (:
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You're going to run into carbs if you want fiber, no matter what. My advice is to stick to whole grains, which have the fiber and nutrition to fill you up, and keep your energy surging all day, and a little bit of protein for staying power. I was reading an article the other day about eating healthy on the cheap, and she suggested Rolled oats with an egg cracked into it. You cook the oats on the stove, and then in the last couple minutes, crack an egg into it. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like something that would stick with you, that is low in calories, but high in fiber and protein.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'd say beans are a great option for you. You can buy them in their natural state and cook them, or you can get them in cans and rinse them off (to get as much sodium out as possible) under water. Beans will fill you up and they are very versatile. There a lot of varieties too. Black, Kidney, Pinto, Great Northern.

Oatmeal would also be good in the morning or whenever you prefer. It is very filling and has lots of fiber and other great stuff.

Yogurt is another great option and you can take it with you! Delicious and cheap snack! The protein in yogurt will help keep you full as well. :flowerforyou: buy you'd want to watch the sugar/carbs. I always read the labels on the yogurts.....they seem to be sneaky. I get the Kroger brand Carbsmart. They are the lowest I've found.

And of course, in season vegetables. I buy most of whatever is in season and not try to get to exotic. HA! Veggies are full of fiber and will keep you full. You can get baby carrots as snack, stuff winter squash or make soup. And you can't go wrong with salad.

Please read this link:
    http://www.wisebread.com/fresh-fruits-and-vegetables-by-the-month

It is a very helpful list with what in season produce to buy and when. It saves me money every season. :smile:

I hope this has been helpful and good luck on your journey. :happy:
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider buying miracle noodles - you can get them on amazon. They're zero carb, zero calories noodles that are made out of just fiber.
  • mezzoforteish
    Options
    Thanks guys! That's all really helpful!
  • nineistoobig
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I usually cook for myself after my family have eaten and make sure I'm far away from the kitchen when my mum is cooking. I usually eat cold chicken and salad or weightwatchers food, which tastes the same as normal food in most cases. Its not too expensive I don't think.. good luck :)