New to this and I messed up already..........

Options
Well everyone.........I have been at this for 15 days and all the guys at work went to Fuddrcuker's for lunch. Of course I went with good intentions of getting only a hotdog but I got the burger and onion rings. I am already over for the day and feel completly defeated for my weight inn this Friday.

Replies

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's tough when you "mess up", but what's done is done. Just pick up tomorrow and keep going! Try to eat light for dinner to minimize the damage.

If you're a really analytical type, you could sit down and try to figure out why you messed up. Was it peer pressure...not wanting to have to explain why you were eating light? Was it just that you wanted a burger? Once you figure out WHY, you can develop some strategies for the next time.

One of my strategies when I eat out is that if the food is a large portion, I ask them to bring a to-go box WITH the meal. Before I even take the first bite, I put half of the meal in the box to take home for another day. I only eat what's left after I split it.
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    First off Friday is a few days away so don't worry too much about that. Second, don't feel defeated. No one is perfect and especially starting out, this is a learning experience. The important thing is to not let one meal derail your entire healthy eating plan. So this may be a set back but tomorrow is a new day. It might make you feel a little better to get in a little extra exercise tonight to make up for some of the extra calories that you had at lunch.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been there, and I'm sure most have. Just shake it off and do better the rest of the day.

One thing I have changed this "diet go around' is not letting these little failure derail the whole thing for me. I've done that in the past so many times. I have a bad lunch and think 'well, the day's ruined now, I might as well eat what I want for the rest of the day and start over tomorrow. A day turns into two, then a week, and next thing you know, I've gained back everything I had lost.

I have found that the more I track, the less tempted I am with those types of food. Something about seeing the number I guess.

I still go over every now and then. I shake it off and try to put a little extra in at the gym.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No, you did not mess up. You are confusing your body, and this likely is a good thing. Your body will lose more weight now, especially if you get back on your better eating habits. You tricked your body into thinking it's not in starvation mode. I bet you lose two pounds by next Monday if you just eat your good calories.
  • Bigwrick
    Options
    First you have to say no to any fast food at least until you get on top of this thing. Fast food is horrible but if you have to go with it find a place that has something at least a little healthy. A deli with lean meats, Subway for example. You will have to be creative and resourceful. Second you have to make sure at the end of the day you have burned more calories than you have taken in. It doesn't mean you have to starve, you just have to make the right food choices.

We all have the ability to make good choices. Our weakness lies in the execution.
  • JaeDeeCaterpillar
    JaeDeeCaterpillar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't feel defeated. It was one slip up. No one is going to make it to their journey perfectly. Anyone that says they did is most likely a liar. ;) Track it and move on. Have a nice healthy salad tonight. Don't starve yourself tonight to make up for it either, that'll just make you likely to binge tomorrow. As long as you get back on track right now, I doubt it'll make a difference on the scale Friday.
  • kwortham
    kwortham Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just brush yourself off and keep going! Tomorrow is a new day!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. We all make slips.

Just don't make it worse. Pick right on up as if you didn't slip up.
  • MercedesV
    MercedesV Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The day is not over. When i have one bad meal my first reaction is to throw the whole day out the window. Have a healthy dinner and work out. Progress not perfection. And Drink LOTS of water. :)
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What I do in this situation? Log it and keep going! I also have a group of friends that like to go out to eat so I will try to google and find nutritional info on the restaurant to find my best choices. There's plenty of Fast Food calorie apps you
    can find to download for smartphones and it has helped me tremendously! It can be done so that you're making the healthiest choices possible and staying within your calorie and macro guidelines without making it a 'failure'.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ha ha! Googled and where did it lead me? Here... Literally!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/fuddruckers

Next time you'll be prepared! : )
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    It's one day, If I eat out at places like that I get the kids meal and the leanest meat I can like Buffalo instead of beef.
  • Colleen268
    Colleen268 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I slipped up on Saturday night. I probably had as many martinis as I should water. Mini hot dogs were screaming at me, and so was the Chicken Francese and sausage and peppers. (I never get out with my husband , and we ate and drank) The food was horrendously delicious. I slipped, thats all. Brush off, and start a new day. It's OK to have a "cheat" once in a while. Because then you wont regret that fat free hot dog so much when its time to eat one.
  • sharonhauptman
    sharonhauptman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    not wanting to have to explain why you were eating light: very insightful. Got more? I am going to try a whole day with just 200 calories to make up for my recent fudge indulgance myself.
  • maine7290
    maine7290 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First off Friday is a few days away so don't worry too much about that. Second, don't feel defeated. No one is perfect and especially starting out, this is a learning experience. The important thing is to not let one meal derail your entire healthy eating plan. So this may be a set back but tomorrow is a new day. It might make you feel a little better to get in a little extra exercise tonight to make up for some of the extra calories that you had at lunch.

This totally! :)
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Any bad eating habits you have didn't develop overnight, so we're silly to think that they will disappear that fast! A slip up is a reminder of those bad habits resurfacing. Give it it's due consideration and move on. If you constantly keep trying (not always succeeding, but just trying) then healthier habits will start to become second nature! I've been trying hard with the weight loss for a few months over a year, and I have radically changed the way I eat; and while I still do slip up most definitely, more often than not, the "slip up" is much healthier than it would have been over a year ago. Keep going, try not to let it get you too down, the journey will be tough and possibly long, but you'll get there! Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend! :)