How does being 'strong' help you?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I love that so many of us are talking about lugging the pet supplies. :laugh:

So much for the stereotype of the frail old crazy cat lady eating 9 Lives!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    These are all so great! Well... except maybe the midget tossing. ;-)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I can unload and stack hay by myself.

I can muscle a trailer onto a hitch that's not exactly where it should be.

I can carry a saddle, bridle, grooming kit, helmet, and whip to the barn in one trip - and open and close the gate.

I can carry a 50 pound bag of dog food into the house.

I can stack and unstack bankers boxes full of paperwork in a skirt and heels.

I can pick up my 86 pound Golden Retriever when he's being Emo.

I can kick the *kitten* of both my husband and my 12 year old daughter when we have family wrastling night.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I can now plunge my toilet in 10 seconds or less.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Summer 2010 I just had a baby. My then 4 year old was 35 pounds. It was becoming REALLY hard for me to pick her up. I kept trying to explain to her that she was too big to pick up which was hard for her to get because I could still pick up her siblings.

Now she weighs 41lbs and picking her up and NO problem at all. I can dance around with her, throw her on the couch, hang her upside down by her feet, everything I can do with her 25lb siblings (yes, the 3 year old and the 1 year old weight the same). It's great.

Also, I had to laugh when a guy at the pet store offered to help me with my pounds of dog food as they were no problem. And I totally flew with a way too heavy carry on the other day and could easily get it up and into the over head bin.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When someone asks for help to pick up heavy boxes, I do it, even when all the IT guys are walking up, I am carrying boxes in heels. :)

I also dont need to use the hand truck for boxes at work.

being strong also helps me feel better about myself in many ways. I love how it feels punching and kicking the punching bag.
    I love how i feel stronger when i run too. :)
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ps: great post!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I can replace the bottle water on out water cooler.
    Yeah. I always chuckle a little bit when a guy tries to rush in and help me change the water bottle. I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't need help, thanks.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) In my old job it helped me to carry heavy stuff about, push heavy cages about. Guaranteed, the size/weight they were I would've needed help if I hadn't lifted before.

2) Large bags of dog food from the shop weigh 15kg (33lbs) and I don't always have my bf to carry it for me to the taxi / bus for me. I like being able to carry it without a problem, and say "no thanks" when the person in the shop asks if I need help.

3) Taking my very strong dog for a walk and not being instantly pulled to the ground (it's close.. but it hasn't happened yet)

4) The time when I decided to rearrange the living room (for the better) while the bf was at work which involved moving a sofa into the other room and pushing my bf's 50kg (110lbs) plates under it - even though it pushed me further back than I pushed them forward I still moved them LOL

5) Carrying a big delivery into my house instead of expecting the postman to do it.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I can hit a golf ball further :tongue:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I love all of these! Even just after 30DS I noticed things were easier. Stronger leg muscles made wearing heels easier, which I wasn't expecting.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I can push my husband around now! But I secretly think he likes it....
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I can carry a grandkid (4 year old and 3 year old, combined total of about 65 pounds) in each arm.

Can carry several plastic bags of groceries in one hand and pull the three year old out of the carseat and onto my hip with the other.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    "Stronger people are harder to kill" - Mark Rippetoe

^^^I think I just reached my daily quota to mach platitudes in one fell swoop *pats self on back*
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I can backpack over rocky terrain without falling or twisting an ankle. *knock on wood*

I can help my daughter move a kitchen table, sofa and loveseat into her house AND help take the doors off their hinges when it becomes apparent it's not gonna fit any other way.

I don't think twice about doing things that I wouldn't even consider a year ago.

I love being/feeling strong. It motivates me every single day.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Before we were dating my husband helped me move several heavy desks. He tells the story that he had to put his end down to rest and I just stood there holding my end up until he was ready. He says that was unbelievably alluring.

I shoveled and scooped the snow off the steps,the walk to the steps the sidewalk, the walk along the driveway and then moved the snow from the driveway to the backyard so the kids could build a sledding hill. I did all this and finished before he got the snow blower going.

Cat litter, backpacks, luggage and groceries.

I can lift more than my teenage son and he still brings me jars to open. I can lift both my kids. I can also balance them on my shins while laying on my back and bounce them and flip them upside down. The boy is too tall for it to work, but at 135# he isn't too heavy. I've been doing that since they were babies. They're 11 & 14 now.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    being strong doesn't help at all, in fact people want me to work harder everywhere!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    From pole dancing my grip strength has improved enormously.

My dad was trying to show me the strength of his drill (the old battery was abismal and he had got a new one) and said, "Hold it there - you won't be able to stop it drilling with your hand"... I clamped round the drill and stopped it moving for a good few seconds. That shocked him.

I am constantly moving stuff in and out of my university accommodation in great big bags. I haven't been finding them difficult to lift recently - I thought I'd just packed them with a better balance of heavy/light things per bag, but turns out (from a quick weigh on the scales) they're about the same weight...

Carrying my (HEAVY!) free-standing pole around is not an issue.

To be honest, the whole pole-dancing thing is a gift in itself. Instead of saying, "I can deadlift X pounds" (which many people won't get the significance of), I can say, "I can turn myself upside down on a pole and grip with just my legs". ;)

Strength is the best Christmas present ever!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Everything for me is easier.

Especially party tricks n stuff :p
    you know, like picking it your big mates and squatting them after them telling you its impossible and betting several beers on the outcome. hehe.

But seriously, EVERYTHING is easier.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    After reading this post about how much MFP women are lifting (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/412516-girls-how-heavy-do-you-lift), I thought it would be fun to share (brag!!!) on how strength training pays off in our everyday lives.

It's one thing to be able to bench press, squat or deadlift heavy weights at the gym, but how does being STRONG pay off for you in real life outside your workouts?

I'll share a few of mine:

1) I'm a better, more efficient backpacker. I can easily carry 45 lbs on my back all day without feeling tired or sore.

2) I can carry two 30 lb. bags of dog food through Petco and out to my car without needing a shopping cart.

3) I can carry a week's worth of our household's groceries up three flights of stairs in a single trip.

What are some of the things you can do?

well my profession is vet tech , need i say more?