PCOS support

Options
Hello,

I just got started with my fitness pal. I am looking for friends who have been struggling with the difficulties of losing weight with poly-cystic ovary syndrome. If there is anyone out there who also has been diagnosed and wants support and accountability, please friend me. Thanks!

molliesj

Replies

• Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I have been using MFP since April and I have seen tons of PCOS sufferers (me included). I'm not the best person for support because my doctor told me virtually nothing other than take this Metoformin and we'll see if you can get pregnant. After it worked and I got pregnant my PCOS has never been mentioned again. I don't honestly know how much it affects me but I have always had belly fat even at my smallest weights so I'm sure it plays a big part. I think you'll find a lot of supportive PCOS people on here... and they're wonderful!
    Good luck!
  • Melaniemarie86
    Melaniemarie86 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, so feel free to add me if you'd like. (By the way, are those Packer jerseys I see in your picture there? :smile: )
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I have it...it's a real bite in the *kitten*...feel free to add me ! :wink:
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    PCOS here as well. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm not logging in the diary at the moment though :)
  • countrygirl75
    countrygirl75 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    hello I tried to add a friend request to the other group but it said I must be a member, but I am looking for more pcos sisters that would like to add me, I am looking for more support in getting to my goal of under 200 pounds to try for a baby later on in life...so please any help is great.
  • Melookprettyoneday
    Options
    PCOS here and currently trying to get pregnant!
  • aroller1
    aroller1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I have been slowly off and on loosing lately for a baby also. Has anyone with this had any luck getting prego?
  • MonDeee
    MonDeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yup, PCOS over here too. I'm finding it a bit easier to lose now that I've figured out I need to lower my carbs. I think it's possible to lose weight with PCOS just makes it that much harder!
  • 3Bliss
    3Bliss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS as well -- yesterday. (It seems funny that it took 10 years of rampantly irregular periods for a doctor to actually think to test for it.)

It's awesome that you've reached out to each other, and it's amazing to maybe finally understand why all my vigorous exercise for so long never really had any effect. You guys are awesome for sharing. :)
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed with pcos and was able to get pregnant on metformin ( i had been trying for two years before and got pregnant 3 months into taking it) after having my son it reversed and i have normal periods and was able to get pregnant easily with my second child. id be happy to be your friend even though i dont battle pcos anymore i still have a lot of weight to lose..
  • HeatherBurke
    Options
    Yup, PCOS over here too. I'm finding it a bit easier to lose now that I've figured out I need to lower my carbs. I think it's possible to lose weight with PCOS just makes it that much harder!

What did you have to lower your carbs down to that helped?
  • NastassjaV
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and referred to a nutritionist to help me determine what I can eat to help me steadily lose weight. It isn't too restrictive of a diet, 1800 cals and 200 carbs spread evenly over 3 meals and 2 snacks. I am on day 5 of it and am looking forward to weighing myself after a week. Right now, just making a few easy changes, and completely cutting out any sweets.

Would love some support while going through this!!! :)
  • melaniejames
    melaniejames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am an lpn who has pcos. For me i've known i've had it since I was 11. I struggle with weight, getting pregnant, and diet. Metformin is used to controll the insulin resistance that comes with pcos. In the past it was said to help with getting prego. I just went to my doc to start my second round of provera to get a period and clomid to ovulate. She said new research indicates that metformin does not help nearly as much as they once thought to get preggo. They now believe that pcos "cysters" as I say, should exercise and watch what they eat. NOT diet never diet. It is a change in how much of what you eat as well as overall calories. Exercising is also key. She said that I need to loose 20 to 50 pounds. I said ouch. I know at 5 feet tall and 207 that I have a lot to loose but she was blatant about it. My goal is to loose the weight and sweat my hindy off at the gym. Good luck cysters, we all have to fight this battle together.
  • HugznKiki
    HugznKiki Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I've had it and struggled for over a decade with all the various issues involved: lack of pregnancy, weight gain, yada yada. Feel free to add me.
  • Jrysavy82
    Jrysavy82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had it since I was a teenager... Been overweight all of my life, and recently realized that I need to lose weight and change what I was eating, cause I also have lpr (acid reflux in the throat, so it closes off when eating acidic foods). No fun! I would also like to someday be able to have kids - been on Metformin off and on for years, but recently started back up about 2 months ago. Feel free to add me, as I could use the support! Thanks & good luck everyone!